Topics

Interesting catch for you NDB chasers?

Kriss Kliegle

Testing my various inverted L antennas and I stumbled across YWA NDB, Petawawa Airport in Petawawa, Ontario, Canada on its assigned frequency of 516 kHz, but also on 517 kHz. Coincidence or is the transmitter AFU? I hear it's double on all my RXR's, so not my equipment.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Alan

YWA NDB, Petawawa Airport in Petawawa, Ontario, Canada on its assigned frequency of 516 kHz, but also on 517 kHz.
Kriss,

These stations are AM. Double sideband. Listen on SSB or CW mode - two signals.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bjarne Mjelde

It's the nature of NDBs. They have a centre carrier, and signal peaks above and below that carrier. For YWA, listed peaks are 1046 Hz LSB and 1002 Hz USB. Canadian NDBs usually transmit a dash (tone) after ID. YWA has been heard across most of North America and many European countries. 25 watts.

--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

David L. Wilson

These stations are AM. Double sideband. Listen on SSB or CW mode - two signals.
73 Alan G4ZFQ
A little caution there. Although that station is a Canadian, in the US, NDBs can be either AM or reduced carrier usb. In the US case, the modulation is 1020 Hz so the separation is 2040 Hz not 1 kHz for AM modulation. In Canada, a modulation of 400 Hz gives a sepaaration of the modulation on the two sidebands of 800 Hz.
--
David L. Wilson

Alan

Although that station is a Canadian, in the US, NDBs can be either AM
or reduced carrier usb.

David,

I think most are AM/400Hz over here, not all. But weak ones far easier to read in CW mode so the two sidebands can catch me out.
As I've never heard more than hundreds of miles I've not begun to think about your side.

73 Aaln G4ZFQ

Kriss Kliegle

Ugh!

My bad, should have looked closer and saw the carrier on 516 not the CW. Now looking at others, the all appear the same. It was late and should have gone to bed, but I wanted some LF comparisons of the three large inverted Vee's recently installed. The one on server 5101 works VERY well! 😉😉😉
Thanks for lesson, for the day is not wasted, I actually learned something today!

Back to your regular scheduled programming...

73 Kriss KA1GJU