Topics

Independently Adjustable Sidebands

George Stein - NJ3H

Has this feature been added to this fine program?  To be able the adjust the sideband, different amounts on each side of the center frequency, especially on medium wave, makes a huge difference. Please add this feature for AM, USB, and LSB. Thank you so much. 

Regards, 
George, NJ3H 
Redmond, Oregon 

jdow

I would second this concept. My ProII has it and the ability to make "live" changes can carve away a lot of interference. Of course, this makes one very nice way to decode SSB impossible. The bog standard "bfo" with IF shift is quite serviceable as the ProII demonstrates.

{^_^}

On 20190830 13:26:05, George Stein - NJ3H via Groups.Io wrote:
Has this feature been added to this fine program?  To be able the adjust the sideband, different amounts on each side of the center frequency, especially on medium wave, makes a huge difference. Please add this feature for AM, USB, and LSB. Thank you so much.
Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Simon, 

I know you are extremely busy and have things you are working on. Do you have any guestimate, if you plan to implement, at least adding  adjustable sidebands to the capabilities of version 3?

Perhaps as a start, maybe implementation of individual left and right adjustments for the AM mode so it can be used for medium wave reception assistance. 

Thanks, 
George 

Guy Atkins

This would be an excellent feature addition, which would place SDR-Console at the same level or above Perseus software, Studio 1, and SDRuno for DXing difficult medium wave signals! 

I currently use Studio 1 the most, as it (and the other two programs I mentioned) lets you "drag" the pass band across center frequency (in LSB/USB) a small amount to optimize S/N and weak signal intelligibility. This is especially true when DXing foreign MW stations on opposite channel plans (e.g., 9 vs. 10 kHz) and the desired DX is within 1-2 kHz of powerful domestic stations.

The old "EXTIO only" executable of SDRuno version 1.22 is close to Studio 1 in usefulness, but the noise reduction and notch filters are disabled.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Denny

I would agree that this feature is unfortunately still missing in such a great program that Simon continues to expand it's features. After many years of using  passband tuning that has been around for decades in many HF receivers and transcievers, it may be time to consider why it could not be implemented in a future, or updated version of SDR-Console.

Denny - K0LGI -

Bjarne Mjelde

This would be an extremely useful addition to SDR-C.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
Remote rx: arcticsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

Simon Brown

Well,

I’m currently building the 3.0.14 release. AM Tuning is very high on my list, but next week nothing much will happen. Maybe in two weeks from now we can test this.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bjarne Mjelde
Sent: 19 September 2019 07:27
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Independently Adjustable Sidebands

This would be an extremely useful addition to SDR-C.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
Remote rx: arcticsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/

Paul White <paul@...>

Edited

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 07:29 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
AM Tuning is very high on my list, but next week nothing much will happen. Maybe in two weeks from now we can test this.
It's lovely you may be in a position to take this forward.
You'll be making at least a dozen loyal users really happy (earliest reference I found was in 2011).

To clarify the relevant modes:
  • AM & SAM (obviously)
  • xFM (Why not? And I really loved that station!)
  • DSB
  • ISB (when you support that one day)
Presumably, there is no reason to modify SSB & ECSS "close to carrier" skirts?

To make a suggestion about UI control:
  • Use Ctrl or Shift or Alt with mouse movement to drag a band limit.
May I add a couple of thoughts/reminders that could be associated topics (in my head, anyway)?
  1. AFAI can make out, SAM locking has not been discussed since 2015 (earliest 2013).
    At the time there seemed to be a consensus we needed an optional "kind-of SAM AFC".
    This would make the tuned frequency follow carrier lock, and help with carrier offset measurement down to about 1 Hz (instead of masking any deviation).
  2. FFT (not audio) notches
    They are highly desirable tools for removing heterodynes, avoiding false locks in sync. demod, and blocking spurious spectrum peak indication.
    I'd also suggest they have a use in killing spurs, and masking stable interference (e.g. steady-state power-line).
    Manna from Heaven would be saving "notch sets" for selective application - a little bit like Markers.
Thanks, Simon, from a Happy Bunny.

Simon Brown

Well,

With any luck we’ll be testing this tomorrow in the test team. Still got some code to add but it is working.

Initial tests will be AM and SAM. BFM will be very easy to add.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul White
Sent: 20 September 2019 08:26

[Edited Message Follows]

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 07:29 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

AM Tuning is very high on my list, but next week nothing much will happen. Maybe in two weeks from now we can test this.

It's lovely you may be in a position to take this forward.
You'll be making at least a dozen loyal users really happy (earliest reference I found was in 2011).

To clarify the relevant modes:

• AM & SAM (obviously)
  • xFM (Why not? And I really loved that station!)
  • DSB
  • ISB (when you support that one day)

Presumably, there is no reason to modify SSB & ECSS "close to carrier" skirts?

May I add a couple of thoughts/reminders that could be associated topics (in my head, anyway)?

1. AFAI can make out, SAM locking has not been discussed since 2015 (earliest 2013).
    At the time there seemed to be a consensus we needed an optional "kind-of SAM AFC".
    This would make the tuned frequency follow carrier lock, and help with carrier offset measurement down to about 1 Hz (instead of masking any deviation).
  2. FFT (not audio) notches
    They are highly desirable tools for removing heterodynes, avoiding false locks in sync. demod, and blocking spurious spectrum peak indication.
    I'd also suggest they have a use in killing spurs, and masking stable interference (e.g. steady-state power-line).
    Manna from Heaven would be saving "notch sets" for selective application - a little bit like Markers.

Thanks, Simon, from a Happy Bunny.

Paul White <paul@...>

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 08:26 AM, Paul White wrote:
Exciting news, Simon.
My explanation was rubbish (not that you need it), and meant to specify:
  • in spectrum display
  • LEFT button

Simon Brown

Paul,

Please note that adding suggestions to existing threads doesn’t get the features you want added.

Today the test team will ‘play’ with independent sidebands on AM and SAM.

For suggestions you must start a new threads and put the suggestion in the title, I don’t have time to ready every posting.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul White
Sent: 21 September 2019 03:40

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 08:26 AM, Paul White wrote:

Exciting news, Simon.
My explanation was rubbish (not that you need it), and meant to specify:

• in spectrum display
  • LEFT button

Paul White <paul@...>

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:53 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
For suggestions you must start a new threads
Sorry, Simon, hard to control my scatter-brain :-)
Also sometimes have trouble deciding if a suggestion is better sent to Main rather than Test.
Paul

Guy Atkins

>Presumably, there is no reason to modify SSB & ECSS "close to carrier" skirts?

--------------

Hi Paul, your comment prompts me to mention that there are excellent reasons to allow adjustment of "close to carrier" skirts. Being able to drag or "slide" the passband edge near the carrier *across* the carrier frequency in Perseus, Studio 1, SDRuno, and even HDSDR (though not intuitive in HDSDR) is a big plus for MW DXing especially. 

When trying to improve a foreign medium wave signal just 1-2 kHz away from a domestic station, dragging the carrier-side passband edge slightly into "negative offset" territory can improve S/N a small but useful amount, helping intelligibility of the heavily QRM'd signal. This is a key trick to use for MW DXers who have the software packages I mentioned above. If done slowly and judiciously, the audio can be tweaked to make IDs and program content more clearly audible. I do this frequently in Studio 1 because the result can make the difference between catching and ID or not.  Generally 50-100 Hz of dragging the passband across the carrier is all it takes to positively affect the audio shaping or S/N improvement.

If SDR Console had this ability for passband manipulation across the carrier (LSB, USB, ECSS-L, ECSS-U modes) I think SDR Console would then become my #1 choice for MW DXing the trans-Pacific stations.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Denny

SDR Console still is my preferred choice as well Guy, and has been since the original release years ago. However what is still missing is the passband tuning feature that has been around for decades in multiple 'classic' receivers that many have used.

Someday, it is my hope it will be included as an update for the SDR Console package that is hard to beat.

Denny - K0LGI -

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM Guy Atkins <dx@...> wrote:

--------------

Hi Paul, your comment prompts me to mention that there are excellent reasons to allow adjustment of "close to carrier" skirts. Being able to drag or "slide" the passband edge near the carrier *across* the carrier frequency in Perseus, Studio 1, SDRuno, and even HDSDR (though not intuitive in HDSDR) is a big plus for MW DXing especially. 

When trying to improve a foreign medium wave signal just 1-2 kHz away from a domestic station, dragging the carrier-side passband edge slightly into "negative offset" territory can improve S/N a small but useful amount, helping intelligibility of the heavily QRM'd signal. This is a key trick to use for MW DXers who have the software packages I mentioned above. If done slowly and judiciously, the audio can be tweaked to make IDs and program content more clearly audible. I do this frequently in Studio 1 because the result can make the difference between catching and ID or not.  Generally 50-100 Hz of dragging the passband across the carrier is all it takes to positively affect the audio shaping or S/N improvement.

If SDR Console had this ability for passband manipulation across the carrier (LSB, USB, ECSS-L, ECSS-U modes) I think SDR Console would then become my #1 choice for MW DXing the trans-Pacific stations.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Simon Brown

Denny,

Unless you can explain technically what you expect then nothing will happen. Not just ‘I want a PBT know’ but how you expect the filtering to change as the PBT is adjusted.

As far as I can see the ISB filtering achieves this, but I’m not a bare-knuckle AM dx-er.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Denny
Sent: 30 September 2019 20:53
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io

SDR Console still is my preferred choice as well Guy, and has been since the original release years ago. However what is still missing is the passband tuning feature that has been around for decades in multiple 'classic' receivers that many have used.

Someday, it is my hope it will be included as an update for the SDR Console package that is hard to beat.

Denny - K0LGI -

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM Guy Atkins <dx@...> wrote:

--------------

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA