Icon r8600

John Talbot

Is this receiver from Icom more sensitive than the airspy receivers in the hf band assuming of course same antenna? Trying to decide whether to spend that kind of money.

John
Ripon Wisconsin

vince battle

John,

I have both, save many $ and get a Airspy Discovery. The 8600 is no slouch in HF, but you will be surprised at the AirSpy Discovery. Just my $.02

Vincent

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Talbot

Thanks

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022, 17:04 vince battle <muellertwo@...> wrote:

John,

I have both, save many $ and get a Airspy Discovery. The 8600 is no slouch in HF, but you will be surprised at the AirSpy Discovery. Just my $.02

Vincent

Sent from Mail for Windows

Simon Brown

John,

IMO when it comes to value for money, the Airspy Discovery cannot be beaten in a strong signal HF environment. If you want more bandwidth then there’s the SDRplay devices.

I’m using a Discovery at the moment at the top end of 80m.

Is this receiver from Icom more sensitive than the airspy receivers in the hf band assuming of course same antenna? Trying to decide whether to spend that kind of money.

John

Ripon Wisconsin

Max

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 10:56 PM, John Talbot wrote:
Is this receiver from Icom more sensitive than the airspy receivers in the hf band assuming of course same antenna? Trying to decide whether to spend that kind of money.
IMHO I really don't see why anyone buys "conventional" kit these days. I know it has it's place (switch on and go and all self contained) but as long as you are mildly computer literate and have a reasonably decent spec Windows computer then a good quality SDR, especially for work at HF, combined with Simon's software gives such a superior user experience and as far as I can see no performance degradation at all. Honestly, I'd save yourself a huge amount of money and get the HF+ Discovery and use with SDR Console. Youi really will not be at all disappointed in any way. It may take you a short time to acclimatise to SDR Console but plenty of friendly help on here and the main forum to get you started.

https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/

To me is a "no brainer"!

I've got HF+, Hermes Lite 2 (SDR transceiver) and SDR Play (RSP2 Pro). Pity you just missed the Airspy Black Friday deal but HF+ Discovery purchased direct from iTead is still great value and a superb performer. The only thing you will find it hard to grasp is how so much performance can be had from a unit about the size of a box of matches!

https://itead.cc/product/airspy-hf-discovery/

Max

Larry Horlick

I wonder how it compares to the latest Elad?

Larry

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:56 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Smith G0OFE

Broadly compartable in terms of performance, with the obvious difference in receive bandwidth.

I have Airspy HF+, Discovery, S2 and S3. Airspys omit 6m due to its recieve architecture, and the S2 is a little deaf on CCIR/Band 2, but is fine with a preamp.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 07/01/2022 10:26, Larry Horlick wrote:
[...]

So in terms of ONLY performance -cost being irrelevant for this discussion- is the 8600 superior??

Larry

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:35 PM, Larry Horlick wrote:
So in terms of ONLY performance -cost being irrelevant for this discussion- is the 8600 superior??

Larry
It depends what you mean by superior, as it is so user dependent, but in terms of purely technical performance, and only talking about use at HF, I very much doubt there is any significant difference between them. In terms of user experience the HF+ with SDR Console would win hands down for me personally. For someone who hates computer based interfaces it may well be the other way around. On cost grounds, assuming the user already has a decent spec PC, it's no contest IMO.

This is why I so often don't see really why people use SDRC and an SDR of some sort for a bandscope + external radio via Omnirig and all the complication that goes with it. For me I'd chuck the external radio and spend the money on the best direct sampling fully SDR rig I could find. By the way, by best, I don't mean "most expensive". My Hermes Lite 2 cost about 250 GBP and performs superbly and also as a transverter driver for higher bands. Anyway, you could go on debating every corner for hours. It's what you enjoy most that is the only important thing. There are so many ways to get to the required end of course as with all things.

I'm speaking as someone who also likes operating boat anchors like my old Drake separates, but in terms of daily use for finding stations then the SDR wins out (of course). In terms of nostalgia value (and not in any way a bad performance either) the Drakes are also highly enjoyable  for a totally different reason. It's "horses for courses" as we say here in the UK.

Max

Larry Horlick

Max,

Yes, purely the technical aspect. And not limited to only HF. Include 88-108. I don't think rx sens. is an issue these days, so let's talk about selectivity and susceptibility to overload. Are they equal? I am prepared to spend the $$ for an 8600 provided I get SOMETHING for that extra quid. Looking at it in the obverse, what would I "lose" by choosing an 8600?

Larry

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 02:13 PM, Larry Horlick wrote:
Looking at it in the obverse, what would I "lose" by choosing an 8600?

I think all you can do is trawl around as many forums as you can to find the answer, especially of course for those who have both receivers and have compared them. For my input, I think just about the only thing you might lose by going for the R8600 over the HF+ is quite a lot of £££/$$$.

I Googled R8600 versus HF+ and came up with quite a few forum posts, like this one for example:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/r8600.415339/

One thing I can't seem to find is what is the maximum bandwidth "slice" that the Icom can cover. Remember for HF+ its a maximum of one span of 768kHz and the front end is analogue. I see the Icom is direct sampling over 0-30MHz. Not sure how big a slice at any one time? Seems difficult to find that info and don't have time to look. But this alone makes them two really quite different animals so certainly on this issue it's not really comparing like with like.

Max

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

One has to ask:
What are your primary listening frequencies? HF, VHF, UHF?
Are you located within the shadows of a commercial BC tower? ie high ambient RF environment

The IC R6800 is a lot of money for just a RXR (IMHO). I maintain three IC-7300’s as remote HF bases, two of which are used by me locally (physically at the radio). The waterfall display is rarely used as I prefer the screen with the ‘meters’ selected to observe the important parameters while TXing.
If I want to see/find weak signals, analyze signals up close, then SDRC on a full size monitor is the way to go. It just takes some time to get past not being able to touch and rotate knobs/switches of a physical radio.
Not all little SDR RXR’s are created equal, the Airspy HF+ Discovery as others here have said is a worthy competitor. I have one RSP1A, but is overwhelmed with AM BC due to my good RX antennas, and has to be used with my DIY AM BC filter to tame the images from 160m through 80m that would appear.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 04:05 PM, Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU wrote:
It just takes some time to get past not being able to touch and rotate knobs/switches of a physical radio.
Even the issue of a control knob can be solved with the use of a Midi control knob if one really must, but if you have a full PC keyboard with arrow cursor keys I even prefer tuning on SDRC using those, left-right arrow for single step size, ip-down arrow for x10 step size. In combination with point and click on the waterfall/spectrum it's honestly as fast or faster to tune around than any tuning knob.

On HF of it's a choice between SDR Play receiver (RSP1/2 and all variants) and HF+ Discovery I'd personally take the HF+ every time (although I think the RSPdx is improved somewhat in this area from earlier versions), but don't forget HF+ has an upper limit of 260 MHz and a gap at 6m band (50MHz) so here my RSP2Pro still comes in handy for 6m/UHF and up.

Just also to say combined price of HL2 HF transceiver, HF+ and RSP2Pro was all under 600 GBP for all three which I think represents astounding value in pure monetary terms.

Max

Larry Horlick

HF and VHF
Commercial 'cast on both MW and FMBC bands within 30-40 km.

Cost is not a factor. RAW performance comparison is all that I'm asking about.

Larry

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:35 PM Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU <kliegle@...> wrote:
[...]

John Schneider

I own both the Perseus and 8600. I enjoy both and use each according to my mood, and if my mood falls somewhere in between the two, then I control my Perseus via my T-Mate 2!

On Jan 7, 2022, 12:47 PM -0500, Larry Horlick <llhorlick@...>, wrote:
[...]

David L. Wilson

I have an Airspy Discovery, R8600, and even an R9500.For HF, my preferred choice is the Airspy Discovery. And price is not a factor since all are within reach. And if one considers price, and Airspy Discovery wins by thousands of dollars on top of the performance. Of course, if you have to buy a PC, it even still wins in price.
--
David L. Wilson

Curt Faulk

Larry, I have two HF+ Discovery SDRs (and about 8 others) and had thought for a very long time about getting the R8600.  For me as well, the cost is not an issue.  In the end, I just couldn't go for the R8600.  The HF+ Discovery combined with SDRC is a formidable combo.  If I were you, I'd get the Airspy, play with it for a couple of months, and then see what you think.

I'll be surprised if you feel compelled to get the R8600 at that point.

Larry Horlick

Curt,

What is your RF environment like? Is there any issue with high out-of-band sigs? Do you have an Elad?

Larry

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:25 PM Curt Faulk <curt.faulk2+airspy@...> wrote:
Larry, I have two HF+ Discovery SDRs (and about 8 others) and had thought for a very long time about getting the R8600.  For me as well, the cost is not an issue.  In the end, I just couldn't go for the R8600.  The HF+ Discovery combined with SDRC is a formidable combo.  If I were you, I'd get the Airspy, play with it for a couple of months, and then see what you think.

I'll be surprised if you feel compelled to get the R8600 at that point.

Charles Thatcher

Curt,
I have a similar array of SDRs to yours, and agree with you about their fantastic performance and value for money. I'm an active all-band listener, started in about 1978 and therfore am a (radio) knob-twiddller.
I bought the R8600 a good few years ago, and set up the recommended HDSDR software on it at that time.
It sold me on using it as an SDR most of the time. I bought added the other 4 SDR receivers after that. I run all of them at the same time on different bands or frequenies (3 muted) which is crazy, but suits my temperament!
In my experience,  the R8600 is right up there with the Airspy HF+ Discovery in all respects, and has a far wider bandwidth (10MHz) especially on HF.
IF you can afford it, I strongly recommend buying it. It is also a convential receiver and PC-free which is a huge advantage.
It's ideal to take on vacation and runs perfectly on 12v from my 4x4 when I go overlanding in my country, South Africa.

I say: If you can afford it go ahead and buy the R8600.

Curt Faulk

Larry:

I thought I had answered this last night, I don't know what happened.

I have an Elad S2 and a number of other SDRs. I'm in the process of moving all of my radio gear to my northern Arizona QTH where I can have proper antennas and a very good operating environment.

My RF situation here in the Phoenix area is decent, but I use a Wellbrook loop, which helps.  You can see the equipment I use on my QRZ page. - N6ATC