Topics

How to upgrade an HF+ v R1.00.00>

Ray, W4BYG

Are there instructions online on how to upgrade the firmware for an early HF+?  I don't see how to on the website.  Maybe I'm just missing it.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Ray, W4BYG
--
They say a smart person learns from their mistakes.  A
wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Max

Try this Ray. Seems to contain files and full instructions in the README.txt:
https://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20190820-bb.zip

Got it from here, bottom of page:
https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/

73

Max

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

Scroll down to the bottom and download the:
 Latest Stable R3.0.6-BB (First Batch) 2019-08-20
Unzip it and READ the installation notes/Readme file.
Easy peasy!

Download and install SDR# to figure out the current firmware if needed:
https://airspy.com/?ddownload=3130

73 Kriss KA1GJU

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max

Hi Kriss.

Ray says he has early HF+. He can't use the Discovery firmware can he? Or can he?

73

Max

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 01:35 AM, Kriss Kliegle wrote:
https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

Scroll down to the bottom and download the:
 Latest Stable R3.0.6-BB (First Batch) 2019-08-20
Unzip it and READ the installation notes/Readme file.
Easy peasy!

Download and install SDR# to figure out the current firmware if needed:
https://airspy.com/?ddownload=3130

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Good catch, but luckily both use the same firmware! I remember somebody asking that on the Airspy Groups long ago, about the time I started getting my Discoveries.

From their 'products' page, if you scroll down to the bottom of each one, by copying the link address (I did it here for show), the same location for the firmware appears, so it is the same firmware!

HF+ (dual antenna port)
Latest Stable R3.0.6-BB 2019-08-20 ((https://airspy.com/downloads/airspy-hf-flash-20190820-bb.zip))

HF discovery:
73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Forgot to mention, due to a firmware issue, the FIRST firmware update requires the case to be opened and two solder pads have to be shorted initially during the proceedure.
It's in the README text file of the download:
Recovery Procedure:
Due to a bug in the first firmware, this procedure must be used for the first firmware upgrade. Subsequent updates should work with the standard procedure above.

1.    Open the HF+ enclosure
2.    Connect the device to the PC
3.    Short the Erase pins for one second (see the photo)
4.    Disconnect the device from the PC
5.    Connect the device again
6.    Double click on flash.bat
7.    Wait until it flashes and verifies the data
8.    Disconnect the device from the PC
9.    Connect the device again
10.    Done