How To: Connect to Pluto via Ethernet (Network)?

sm6fhz

Hi all.
Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Siegfried Jackstien

a clone?? from where??

to connect a genuine pluto you need an ethernet dongle and a smartphone charger to power the pluto

left connector ethernet (the data line) .. right connector the charger (to power the pluto)

at first connect the ethernet dongle to your pc and to your lan ... then you can check what ip number your router gives the dongle on that cable port

that is then also the ip of the pluto (when you not connect a pc but the pluto to the dongle)

at best use a powered dongle (then no current is drawn from the pluto data port) ... but some users use a "normal" ethernet dongle that is powered from the pc (or in your case then from the plutos data connector)

rest is well explained here

https://www.sdr-radio.com/network-access

hth

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 08.09.2022 um 08:48 schrieb sm6fhz:

Hi all.
Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon Brown

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Thanks Simon and Sigi !

I also found this from Matthias:
http://www.dd1us.de/Downloads/Connecting%20the%20ADALM%20Pluto%20to%20the%20Local%20Area%20Network%20v4.pdf
So I will try to find the necessary HW and try it out. I have two USB-C connectors on my clone. Like this one but not the "+" version, the basic version with 1 TX and 1 Rx SMA connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184638736214?hash=item2afd538756:g:cTsAAOSw41NgEXR3&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBQ6OBquIt0W5fIMcvXw5dw2YYqtjB2WT2I4rdWUb%2Bn02rGPCJLZREnqKvN1QNjCpOye4bBs6M61ol4lHxj3jzMDCFXo3tY0teDzxHYDXHJHGUZy4dNaQ%2FDcTyZU7lrIg53FCW%2BNmEGCxnV8uHu8yOstAg40ZnK%2BBNVKr7psaLPNv9cM9xMYGimbja1VZlNK3c9%2BnsLlt83%2FQ1QVgcuvi28%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5zN3MbjYA

I think the originator for this clone incarnation, both the "+" and the first one, is the same as for RX888, both Mk1 and Mk2 i.e. Justin Peng. His twitter account is quite interesting to read.
https://twitter.com/fei666888

Will report back or ask more when gone that far.

73 / Ingolf

Siegfried Jackstien

Yes.. Its definitely justin
Guess who gave him a few hints how to make it better (metal case, tuneable tcxo, etc etc)
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 08.09.2022 11:42 schrieb sm6fhz <ingolf.fhz@...>:

[...]

Don Woodward

Has anyone used the built-in ethernet on a Pluto Plus with SDRC?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

f1hdi

Hi Don,

I am also interested by the answer and also ould love to know which latest firmware can be pushed in (and run eth).

73 Jean-marc

Le 08/09/2022 à 14:13, Don Woodward a écrit :

Has anyone used the built-in ethernet on a Pluto Plus with SDRC?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

f1hdi

Hi Again,

When you look at the pluto+ repository (https://github.com/plutoplus/plutoplus) , you see that the latest update is 20210618.

In the files you see a PTT output mapped to MI00 port , an onboard eth controller a 40MHz clock in external input.

It should be great if sdrconsole drive this PTT.

Where I am confused is

  1. When using the official ADI-PlutoSDR firmware, please connect to URST-MI052.
  2. When using Pluto+ firmware and need to support Ethernet, please connect URST-MIO46

meaning that you could not use official Pluto firmware AND gain benefit from the eth .

Anyone here knowlegeable about this pluto+ unit who I could speak "apart" ?.

73 Jean-Marc

Le 08/09/2022 à 19:08, f1hdi a écrit :

[...]

I have now ordered the HW recommended by Matthias. It seems like the Y-cable will arrive end of September.

WRT to IP address of the Pluto I presume it is possible to set it to what my LAN sub-net requires by setting a value in the config.txt file to the

[USB_ETHERNET]
ipaddr_eth = 192.168.2.xxx

Where xxx is a number that fits into my LAN structure.
Do I need to change anything under the
[NETWORK]
part in the config.txt file as well?
What is the
ipaddr_host = 192.168.2.10
value there?

BTW Simon, how is George? Haven't heard about him lately.
Are you getting along well?

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Vincenzo Mone

Hello Ingolf,
Can you please point me where to get and what to get the Hw???
I am also interested.
Thanks
73’s de Enzo IK8OZV

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 9 set 2022, alle ore 10:28, sm6fhz <ingolf.fhz@...> ha scritto:

Hi.
I have now ordered the HW recommended by Matthias. It seems like the Y-cable will arrive end of September.

WRT to IP address of the Pluto I presume it is possible to set it to what my LAN sub-net requires by setting a value in the config.txt file to the

[USB_ETHERNET]
ipaddr_eth = 192.168.2.xxx

Where xxx is a number that fits into my LAN structure.
Do I need to change anything under the
[NETWORK]
part in the config.txt file as well?
What is the
ipaddr_host = 192.168.2.10
value there?

BTW Simon, how is George? Haven't heard about him lately.
Are you getting along well?

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Hi Enzo.
For the Y-cable I used the link in the DD1US PDF, pointed at in my 2nd posting in this thread.
It was to a vendor called Berrybase and is said to be located in Berlin. Quite long delivery time though.
The price was higher now than when Matthias acquired it.
For the USB to Ethernet converter I just used a local shop here in Goteborg.
Good luck!
73 / Ingolf

DJ7TH Rolf

Edited

You can save yourself the Y-cable by supplying the Pluto with 5V via USB-P3 and connecting the Ethernet adapter to USB-P2.
See my Pluto Box description for more details at https://www.qrz.com/db/dj7th
--
vy 73 der Rolf -DJ7TH-

sm6fhz

Hi Rolf.
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately too late. The Y-cable is already on the way to me now.
Pity that you did not respond before, it would have saved me both time and money.
I searched the Internet for info but did not get any hit on your info. Sad that you have hidden it so well inside QRZ-com.
I will supply both ports on my Pluto clone as well as the USB to Ethernet adapter with +5V from an external source.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Don Woodward

I tried to setup the ethernet and could not get my laptop to ping the Pluto via ethernet.

I have firmware 0.34 and I do have the jumper on URST-MIO46.

I see the latest Pluto firmware is 0.35.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Don Woodward

This is a Pluto Plus BTW.

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Don Woodward

I was able to upgrade my Pluto Plus to firmware 0.35 but no joy on getting the built-in ethernet to ping from my laptop.  The Pluto Plus is directly connected to my laptop ethernet dongle. - lots of flashing lights and the laptop side shows the adapter up as Ethernet4.

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

No wonder it does not work
Pluto plus needs a special fw
The pluto and the pluto plus are different units
Never mix firmware!!
Never use a fw made for pluto.. On a pluto plus
It can not work
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 09.09.2022 17:16 schrieb Don Woodward <dbwoodw@...>:

[...]

Works just fine except the Ethernet - in fact the Pluto Plus Repository directs you to the Pluto firmware repository for binaries.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

Sorry if this question has been up here before. I think it has and I searched for it here but could not find anything that gave me the very basic steps to get started.
As I know there is an abundance of knowledge here on this forum.
How do I do in order to connect a Pluto to my local network?
What extra HW do I need to do that?
There is no external Ethernet connector on the Pluto, right? So, how do I connect it?
I would be very thankful for some hands on advice on how to get an Ethernet port accessible on the Pluto.
BTW, my Pluto is an clone from the far east but it connects exactly as an Pluto to SDRC.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

f1hdi

Hi Sigi & all

That was my questioning , so your answer is clear. No alternative fw from the pluto+.

What remains unclear to me is , as a plutoplus here, without any mods, is recognized by sdrconsole (thk you Simon), is there a way to :

- use the existing PTT of the pluto+ with sdrconsole ?

- remote use the pluto+ with sdrc ( pluto+ in eth mode only, with its IP address in the range of the local IPV4 network)

Thank you

Jean-Marc

Le 09/09/2022 à 21:31, Siegfried Jackstien a écrit :

[...]

On September 9th I asked a question regarding setting the IP address of the Pluto in the config.txt file. I did not get any response at all, so I try with the same question again to see if I can get some guidance from the knowledgeable folks here on this forum.

WRT to IP address of the Pluto I presume it is possible to set it to what my LAN sub-net requires by setting a value in the config.txt file to the

[USB_ETHERNET]
ipaddr_eth = 192.168.2.xxx
Where xxx is a number that fits into my LAN structure.
Is that correct?

Do I need to change anything under the
[NETWORK]
part in the config.txt file as well?

What is the
ipaddr_host = 192.168.2.10
value there? What does it refer to?
Is that the router in the network?

In the config.txt under [NETWORK] it says
ipaddr=192.168.2.1
In my network that is the ip-address of my router in that specific branch. I have got the impression that it is the standard to do so.
What is the meaning of this line in the config.txt file?

I would be very thankful if I could get advice on how to set this up.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ