Help for a newbee!

John T. Fleming

I purchased a Softrock upgraded 20m lite ii kit and have it about half assembled. I have been looking for software that will allow me to listen with the unit. I downloaded Rocky, but I cannot get it to work with Windows 7. I went scouting around and found M0KGK SDR Decoder. Will that work with my kit? I have the 18.730 crystal. I calculated the center frequency as 14,143.5. I still have to finish the kit but at 71 it is a bit tedious. Once I have it finished, I would like to see if I can hear anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73,

John

Andy obrien <k3ukandy@...>

The sdr-radio console (this group) software will work.

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM, John T. Fleming <john@...> wrote:

I purchased a Softrock upgraded 20m lite ii kit and have it about half assembled. I have been looking for software that will allow me to listen with the unit. I downloaded Rocky, but I cannot get it to work with Windows 7. I went scouting around and found M0KGK SDR Decoder. Will that work with my kit? I have the 18.730 crystal. I calculated the center frequency as 14,143.5. I still have to finish the kit but at 71 it is a bit tedious. Once I have it finished, I would like to see if I can hear anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73,

John

Dom Baines M1KTA

John,

The SDR-Radio software will 'work' with the Softrock Lite kit you have on Windows 7.

That Softrock kit as you said has a fixed frequency so some of the SDR-Radio functionality will not appear to function but please do not let that worry you.

What you will need to do is download the latest version. http://www.sdr-radio.com/Downloads.aspx and download the latest kit.

Once you have it install it and then configure the software for the sound card you are using (please note that for SDR to work no matter which software you use it should have stereo input), select the appropriate console width to be about the same or less than your sound card can support eg 50khz if a 48khz soundcard, 100khz if 96khz souncard or even 25khz whch is much smaller bandwidth than you sound card may support and then press 'start'. At this point the frequency selection/ identification will not be accurate yet as Simon has not added fixed frequency support yet but you can do something yourself to be able to use the softrock you have built that will allow you to see if it is working. Very roughly the process will be like this:
After you have selected 'start' you should see a display that has a panoramic spectrum and a waterfall below it.
Ignore the frequency numbers right now we will correct that. Ignore the audio output and checking signals we will correct that too.
To the right of the frequency 'readout' there are a series of band buttons select the one that says 14. That will adjust the console frequency and display for 20m, it will not change the way the sound card works with your softrock.
Now the very centre/middle of the panoramic frequency spectrum/waterfall display will be the centre frequency you have calculated, but the software will not know how to adjust for it just yet.
Click you mouse once in the panoramic frequency display, you will see the frequency numbers change. Then do it agin but this time select as best you can the centre (horizontally) of the panoramic display. If lucky the frequency will read what you have determined your softrock is using. It usually is not the same. So you will have to 'fix' it yourself.
On the very bottom of the console there is a horizontal ruler that matches the frequency readout and on that ruler is a shorter control with a central marker on it. With your mouse select that short line near the central marker and you will find you can move it to the right or left and the frequency will adjust. Move it until the frequency readout for the centre matches what you believe the softrock is using.
Now you should be able to use your mouse to move to different signals and using the mode buttons lsb/USB/cw-L etc... hear them through your audio speakers. If you cannot hear anything check that the speakers are not disabled there is a little speaker icon on the bottom right under the ruler and an AF gain slider to the right. If the icon is yellow then adjust the AF gain to the right, if grey with a little X then adjust the AF gain to the left and then select the button to turn the speakers on and adjust the AF gain until the sound (assuming on a signal) is at an acceptable level. The default on a new install should be on and about 50% but I have not checked recently.

I might take a video that explains this and post it on blog and a link in the group. And when Simon is back maybe ask him to add it to the softrock support pages from SDR-Radio.com.

If you get into a problem ask again.

72

Dom
M1KTA

steve_m0zeh <hsdx@...>

--- In sdr-radio-com@..., "John T. Fleming" <john@...> wrote:

I purchased a Softrock upgraded 20m lite ii kit and have it about half
assembled. I have been looking for software that will allow me to listen
with the unit. I downloaded Rocky, but I cannot get it to work with Windows
7. I went scouting around and found M0KGK SDR Decoder. Will that work with
my kit? I have the 18.730 crystal. I calculated the center frequency as
14,143.5. I still have to finish the kit but at 71 it is a bit tedious. Once
I have it finished, I would like to see if I can hear anything. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

73,

John
Just run Rocky in XP mode within Windows 7. Your learning curve should start with Rocky to fully appreciate what is going on. Later on you can try the other softwares but they are very complicated to drive and you should learn the basics of SDR first. You need to be fully aware which way round your IQ is on the 3.5mm plug! There is a setting for this in most softwares.

Good Luck Steve-M0ZEH

John T. Fleming

Dominic,

I got the radio working tonight. The group of us that got the 20 Lite II receivers all were shorted two parts. The problem has been fixed and I was able to complete my radio. But it is not working correctly. I could hear some AM stations. So I switched from CW to AM. It was a religious program. Finally I found their web site and got their frequency. It was 9.370 MHz and that told me that the mixer is on using the double of the 18.730 crystal after dividing by 4. Now I have to figure if I have a real problem or could it have been front end overload! I was able to hear the station very well on my Orion using the sub-receiver.

Well time to go to bed and learn something else new tomorrow. Thank God I am retired and can enjoy my hobbies.