Topics

Has anyone in the States gotten DRM software to decode reliably

Paul Cianciolo

Hello All,
A friend and I have been trying to decode some DRM signals with very little success. We have been using various versions of the Dream software.
Although the DRM signals are 30 to 40 db above the noise floor of the receiving system, we have just not been able to get an audio decode. i dont get a "no codec available " error message.

The software tells me I am listening radio Marti for instance but never actually decodes audio.
I wont go into all the details of the diagnostic screens here, maybe off the list with someone.

Basically wondering if anyone has been able to decode these signals reliably, and if they have if they wouldn't mind sharing their lash up

Thank you
PaulC
W1VLF

Mark AB0CW

I have tried numerous times to get an audio decode from Radio Marti.  Doesn't seem to matter how strong the signal is...I see the same thing - the software identifies that it is radio Marti transmitting, but never an audio decode.  I'm using an Elad FDM-S2 and its native DRM decoder.  I have tried using DREAM with other SDRs and see the same thing.

73 Mark AB0CW

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 9:22 AM Paul Cianciolo <paulc@...> wrote:
Hello All,
A friend and I have been trying to decode some DRM signals with very little success. We have been using various versions of the Dream software.
Although the DRM signals are 30 to 40 db above the noise floor of the receiving system, we have just not been able to get an audio decode. i dont get a "no codec available " error message.

The software tells me I am listening radio Marti for instance but never actually decodes audio.
I wont go into all the details of the diagnostic screens here, maybe off the list with someone.

Basically wondering if anyone has been able to decode these signals reliably, and if they have if they wouldn't mind sharing their lash up

Thank you
PaulC
W1VLF

Mark AB0CW

Although I should point out - I CAN decode it using one of the remote KIWI SDR receivers.  I just tried it using a remote receiver in KY and the audio decodes perfectly

Mark AB0CW

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 2:12 PM Mark AB0CW via groups.io <ab0cwdittmar=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding.  I have heard that exactly about being able to decode using the Kiwi..

So it’s not really a matter of  lack of Carrier to noise ratio.. the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks again and let’s see if anyone else chimes in on the topic.

PaulC

W1VLF

Check out my  Youtube Channel W1VLF

[...]

Ray Lyford

Have you downloaded the file.   " faad2_drm.dll "  Maybe not needed now.  That was the only way to decode DRM stations at one time. Just a thought.

Ray

[...]

Brendan Wahl

The Radio Marti DRM service is using the xHE-AAE codec, which the public version of DReaM does not yet support. The very few commercially made receivers have it included within their source codes; that very same source code for the DReaM freeware was not updated. Volunteer coders within the DRM listening community are working on it, but it's still not ready for listener-level release IFAIK.

DReaM can indeed decode the FAC and the SDC of the VOA signal, but that's all. So far most of the DRM transmissions still on the air in the rest of the world are not yet using the xHE-AAC codec since not all receivers can decode it. VOA went out on a limb here in broadcasting DRM this way, since there are so few DRM receivers out there, much less xHE-AAC compatible ones. It is the best codec, but why we enthusiasts got left out of the codec goodies, I'm still scratching my head on that one. They didn't export it to the Windows DLL available for DReaM.

It's always been a case of 'Chicken, meet egg' and/or Catch-22: if there are no receivers, why bother transmitting DRM? If there are no transmissions, why bother making a DRM receiver? {{Mr. Head, meet Mr. Keyboard}}

Brendan WA7HL

Brent Seres/ VE3CUS

I recently tried installing DREAM on my windows 10 machine,  and could not even get it to install properly.  I forget the specific DLLs it said were missing.  Finally just gave up. I'll revisit it when I have more patience.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

MVS Sarma

Ray,
You are right.

Dream softeare and faad2 togther work decoding sdr iq signals
 Even from normal radio also, we can use drm signal and dream decodes, but need set up configuration.
The topic was hot on elektor.com and there was an adr designed by burkhard kainka of germany.
I used to listen these drm dx transmissions for a long time
Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Wed, 20 May 2020, 12:17 am Ray Lyford, <ancient_brit@...> wrote:
[...]

An addendum to my earlier message.

To confirm, the KiwiSDR does indeed have the xHE-AAC decoder available. It's quite easily the most available and compatible DRM receiver there is, but be advised not all owners have it activated.

This had totally slipped my mind, and I own one. ;)

Brendan WA7HL

Brendan Wahl

Feel free to contact me direct with DRM questions, I'll be happy to help.

Brendan WA7HL

Dan (K3GMQ)

I'm located in SE Pennsylvania and I'm able to OCCASIONALLY decode DRM signals using the Dream software (fed by my IC-7300 with 130 ft end-fed antenna, but I doubt that's critical).  Usually from Radio Romania's more powerful transmitter.  More rarely the BBC 75m one.. The decode of the station data can be achieved at a lower SNR than what it takes for an audio decode.  Audio seems to take at least 15-16 dB as measured in the System Evaluation dialog.
I didn't realize that Radio Marti was broadcasting DRM.  As I write this @ 23:40GMT, I can only get about 10-12dB SNR here.  Maybe a little later tonight.
Some info on my setup is here:
http://www.phaselocked.com/wp/2018/02/02/decoding-drm-shortwave-broadcasts-ic-7300-configuration/

Andrew OBrien

I have no tried in a long while but Vatican Radio and DW were fairly easy to decode.  However I’m now questioning the whole use of DRM from the broadcaster perspective. It is a bit like 3D TV or even 4K TV in the TV world , a bit frivolous and not really needed . If we want DRM quality we can use the Internet , DAB, or a podcast.

Andy

On May 19, 2020, at 7:44 PM, Dan (K3GMQ) <dan@...> wrote:

I'm located in SE Pennsylvania and I'm able to OCCASIONALLY decode DRM signals using the Dream software (fed by my IC-7300 with 130 ft end-fed antenna, but I doubt that's critical).  Usually from Radio Romania's more powerful transmitter.  More rarely the BBC 75m one.. The decode of the station data can be achieved at a lower SNR than what it takes for an audio decode.  Audio seems to take at least 15-16 dB as measured in the System Evaluation dialog.
I didn't realize that Radio Marti was broadcasting DRM.  As I write this @ 23:40GMT, I can only get about 10-12dB SNR here.  Maybe a little later tonight.
Some info on my setup is here:
http://www.phaselocked.com/wp/2018/02/02/decoding-drm-shortwave-broadcasts-ic-7300-configuration/

marco.giacomini@...

I suggest to try sodiraSDR software http://www.dsp4swls.de/sodirasdr/main.html.
I use it with Airspy HF+ and ALA1530 to receive some DRM stations,
You can get the Global DRM Transmissions Schedule here: http://www.hfcc.org/drm/

Marco

Paul Cianciolo

Same here… several different SDR’s and no matter how doing the signal is now decodes

[...]

I have not downloaded that file actually never heard of it until now.. I will look into it

[...]

Mike Bott

I've had the best results using my Kiwi but it also requires a good, clean signal.

--
Mike

On Thu, May 21, 2020, 11:59 Paul Cianciolo <paulc@...> wrote:

[...]

Max

I've tried to receive DRM and largely been force to give up because I cannot get DReaM to function on my PC. I come up against a common error message and yet nobody in the forums seems to know how to fix it. It's not the missing DLL by the way!

I agree Brendan. DRM could possibly spark some sort of renaissance for SW listeners all over the world, and yet by making it a proprietary codec they (whoever "they" are) have made it a total PITA to be able to listen, so as you say, shot themselves in the foot. You would think after all the years since DRM became available with the lack of broadcasts it would occur to someone to start broadcasting with a freely available (and free) codec so that the broadcasts become available to all.

I am still not able to hear a broadcast but I would very much like to. Just don't know how to do it with a PC that refuses to play ball. Just for clarity, regarding Kiwi, can I listen to DRM with all necessary installed on the remote receiver, or do I need to install something my end for it to work?

73

Max

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 07:57 PM, Brendan Wahl wrote:

[...]

martin m3ghe

If you are trying to use V2.2 forget it, you need QT5 platform installed and it's a PITA. Use V2.1.1 instead https://sourceforge.net/projects/drm/files/dream/2.1.1/
Biggest problem with DRM at the moment is finding a signal to receive.

Martin

Max

Hi martin

Yes, this is ringing a bell. All sorts of issues regarding QT5. I can see I downloaded both 2.2 and 2.1.1. Maybe I never tried 2.1.1? I will give it one more go. Thanks for the tip.

Best

Max