Topics

GTX 1650 Super graphics card?

Frank

Unfortunately prices for many pieces of computer hardware have skyrocketed this week (due to Bitcoin mania, I'm told on good authority). Based on very strong recommendations here, I was hoping to buy a GTX 1650 Super card for a new PC I'm building. However, most sources are sold out, and the few that have it show prices (as of today) around US$ 800 for new cards and $500 for used. Even the non-Super 1650 card is listed around $500 new.

Two questions:

1) Eventually prices will come down, and stocks will be replenished. I'm wondering about any specific features I might want to look for in a 1650 Super at that time. My motherboard is a Gigabyte, the CPU is AMD, and it's pretty fast gamer-level overall. Should I be specifically looking for a Gigabyte 1650 Super, or would MSI or ASUS do just as well? Is the amount of memory on the card important? Does the Super come in single- vs two-fan versions -- if so, do I specifically want the latter?

2) While waiting for prices to come down, I'd like to find an inexpensive, lower-end Nvidia just so I can turn on and use the PC. Is there a "better than nothing" card out there that's still cheap that would be worth looking at as a temporary fix? I'd want to find something from a U.S. source so that I have it when the rest of the PC is ready to go in about a week.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Frank

Max

Hello Frank

There has been much discussion on here regarding the 1650 Super. Pretty much any brand will do. The 1650 Super refers only the Nvidia chipset which is identical on all the cards. So then it comes down people's favourite manufacturer and thing like how many and what type of video output sockets. Really they are all much of a muchness. If it were me I'd go for a two fan version if you have the space for a full size card. They tend to run quieter than the single fan version, and yet in use with SDRC they are pretty much "ticking over". I never hear the fans on mine come on at all so even that is probably not much of an issue. And my PC is getting old. 10 year old i7 2nd generation. Does not even break a sweat running SDRC, multiple receivers, with the 1650 Super taking the graphics load via CUDA. This graphics card really has taught an old dog new tricks, so I can highly recommend it. For once the performance seems to match the hype! One warning right at the start. Be 100% sure to get a 1650 SUPER, not just a plain 1650. They are very different beasts with a very similar name. Don't get caught out.

I have the EVGA version, mostly chosen because of the long warranty period and the good reputation from gamers about build quality and reliability:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR

It's got the standard array of outputs, one Display Port, 1 HDMI and one DVI. I use the latter two because I have old monitors.

Display port the new(ish) monitor standard is designed to be able to "daisy chain" monitors together, so can run more than one monitor from one output socket. I think from memory it's up to 4, but think is two at 4k? Read about Display Port 1.4 here:
https://www.cablematters.com/blog/DisplayPort/what-is-displayport-1-4

If you really need more 4k monitors than two, then you probably need to go for the higher priced ASUS ROG Strix card with two DP 1.4 and two HDMI:
https://rog.asus.com/uk/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-gtx1650s-o4g-gaming-model/

Yes, prices go up, they come down. I guess you just need to sit tight until the chip supply shortage is over, or pick something up used on eBay. Looks like 2nd user cards here in the UK around £250 (GBP) at the moment. Crazy. I paid £169 (GBP) for mine exactly one year ago brand new.

For stop gap maybe Simon can comment. From memory,  think something the GTX 1050Ti was a previous recommendation, but not 100% sure?

Hope it helps.

Max

Frank

Max,

Thanks very much for the comments, they're a big help. Yes, I was aware from reading prior posts that the GPU to get is the 1650 Super, not the non-super. I'll be using it with a couple of monitors that have HDMI and DVI inputs, so it sounds like that can work.

I just looked on Amazon for the GTX 1050Ti, and am seeing it from various vendors for US$ 350 to 500 used and new. Yikes! There's a GT 710 listed for only $70, but it's out of stock for two months until May 25. Shades of tulip mania in the 1600s! Unfortunately eBay isn't much of a better option -- some cards that normally would have reasonable buy-it-now prices are out for competitive bidding.

At any rate, I now have a good idea of what to buy in the long haul when prices/availability right themselves, but I haven't a ghost of an idea what I can do as a stop-gap.

Frank

Max

Frank

I used to run SDRC acceptably with on-board graphics. Yep, not the best, but it did work. Have you got a graphics card installed or just onboard? How well does SDRC run now?

Max

Frank

Actually the PC isn't built yet. I have some components in hand, more arriving soon, and the motherboard is supposed to be here in about a week. I guess it does have onboard graphics, and I see an HDMI out on the rear apron. So it looks like I can get some use out of it while looking for a graphics card.

Max

I would definitely try with the onboard graphics first. With an up to date motherboard like yours you might be surprised how well if performs "out of the box". As I say I could certainly run SDRC on my 10 year old mobo with Intel HD3000 onboard graphics. The one thing that did not work (error message) was the video recording feature of SDRC, but I understand from Simon that this was down to an incompatibility with that particular chipset. Yours (10 years younger) might well be just fine. Give it a go!

73

Max

Bob Dengler

At 3/26/2021 01:59 PM, you wrote:

One warning right at the start. Be 100% sure to get a 1650 SUPER, not just a plain 1650. They are very different beasts with a very similar name. Don't get caught out.
My 1650 is the plain version & it made a huge difference over the Intel integrated graphics. Driving 2 monitors, one 4K HDMI & one 1680x1050 VGA (via DVI adapter) - no problems.

Bob NO6B

Jim Smith G0OFE

Suspect there are a few consignments stuck in the Suez Canal right now.....

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 26/03/2021 20:19, Frank wrote:
[...]

Edited

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 07:59 AM, Bob Dengler wrote:
My 1650 is the plain version & it made a huge difference over the Intel integrated graphics. Driving 2 monitors, one 4K HDMI & one 1680x1050 VGA (via DVI adapter) - no problems.

Bob NO6B

Hi Bob

Great to hear the 1650 standard is doing a good job. Not saying anything wrong with the 1650 at all, and any GTX chipset with CUDA will be a huge benefit with SDRC. It's just that, here in the UK anyway (in non Bitcoin madness times) there was very little price difference (about £20 GBP) between the Super and the non-Super but high-end benchmarks were much better for the Super. To be honest I don't think SDRC is super-taxing on any half-decent video card. It's really only the gamers that get to test any of these GPUs at the limits of their performance. As I mentioned, the fans on my GPU don't even start up when running SDRC so I think that's a good indicator of how hard my card is working....... it's loafing! Might be a different story if I have 24 receive windows open and run CW Skimmer at the same time, and then I would be glad I bought the best card I could afford at the time.

It's always been my maxim when buying PC hardware to buy the very best hardware I can possibly afford and maybe even then try and push it up one more notch, because that will then save much money later on with not having to upgrade as often.

73

Max

Bill Walch

I've been looking to upgrade my GPU as well, and found one great resource at Passmark website. The comparison attached is that of my current GTX950 (it was a lot more expensive than the current $89 USD when I got it 2 years ago), which works well with SDRC, but I need a little more oomph for future use, like video editing, etc. The link to the aforementioned GPU comparisons is below.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GTX-950-vs-GeForce-GTX-1650-SUPER-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060-vs-GeForce-GTX-1660-vs-GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER/3295vs4167vs3548vs4062vs4159
Also, to get to their main GPU benchmark page, that link is also below. Here, you can select the various cards out there and use that to compare performance and price.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
As has been pointed out, these are very volatile times for these GPU's, especially now with the Suez Canal being blocked, potentially affecting price and availability for you folks in the EU/GB.

Siegfried Jackstien

graphic cards still can be sent to europe by train (now called the "new silk road")

every week a train comes from china to europe (over germany down to spain)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 27.03.2021 um 18:09 schrieb Bill Walch:

[...]

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

jdow

Alas - out of stock now.
{o.o}

On 20210405 13:51:46, Frank wrote:
Max,

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

Simon Brown

Doesn’t look like there will be much stock of anything this year.

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

Miguel, EA4BAS

See: https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1650-oc-edition-4-gb-gddr6?utm_campaign=nVidia+Shop+%28Batch%29&utm_source=hatch&utm_content=s1617684933653jme3a52378

It is Ready to ship ….

73, Miguel

EA4BAS

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

George Stein - NJ3H

Is it the gtx 1650 Super? You want the Super.

George

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM, Miguel, EA4BAS
<ea4bas@...> wrote:

See: https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-gtx-1650-oc-edition-4-gb-gddr6?utm_campaign=nVidia+Shop+%28Batch%29&utm_source=hatch&utm_content=s1617684933653jme3a52378

It is Ready to ship ….

73, Miguel

EA4BAS

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

Max

Hi Frank

Nothing to configure here. Plug in and go for me, installing the correct drivers of course.

For some reason Nvidia give an option of two possible drivers. I installed the "Studio" drivers which I think are more optimised for multi-media operations (video editing etc). Can't remember what the other one is called but think it is optimised for gaming. I think I read on here somewhere that Simon recommend the Studio drivers? It's working fine here anyway.

Best

Max

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 09:51 PM, Frank wrote:
Max,

Thanks for the mention of the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1357-KR). I was able to find a new one quite a bit cheaper than the crazy prices that comparable cards are going for now.

Is there anything to configure with this card that you've found helpful? Or just use it as-is out of the box?

Frank

Frank

Thanks, Max. Yes, on the Nvidia site I saw the choice between studio or gaming drivers, and I chose the former. The download was an .exe executable which seemed to run normally on my PC. I wonder if that's all that's necessary? Or do I need to go into Device Manager and initiate a driver update for the 1650 Super? Right now SDR Console is showing CPU around 0.1% and GPU 0.3% when it's doing a 384 kHz bandwidth I/Q recording with an SDR, so no complaints there.

Frank

jdow

If you have installed the driver, which as an update is remarkably painless, then you are good to go. If it asked you to reboot, which doesn't seem to happen with updates, then reboot. Once is enough. Bob's your uncle.
{^_^}