G4ELI on 4m


Simon Brown
 


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


Max
 

Congrats Simon. Don't think I saw the mode mentioned. SSB?

Hope to get on 4m myself at some point maybe this summer. Got the kit but no antenna yet. Lump of steel in ground last week ready to take the mast.

Been a very active day for Es on 6m FT8 with huge amount of activity down to Spain and Portugal and 10m still open to South America here on south coast UK even now at well past sunset so things are looking up.

73

Max


On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 06:17 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Guess who’s been on 4m?

 

1st 4m E’s Contact — G4ELI


Simon Brown
 

Hi,

 

Yes, using SSB. I listen on FT8 but don’t transmit. E’s have been late starting this year, yesterday was the first real day. Plenty of EAs from Spain & those two bits in N. Africa were on FT8 (Devil Mode) !

 

Actually, I may look at writing my own FT8 / WSJT Mode console later this year.

 

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max
Sent: 20 May 2022 22:36
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] G4ELI on 4m

 

Congrats Simon. Don't think I saw the mode mentioned. SSB?

Hope to get on 4m myself at some point maybe this summer. Got the kit but no antenna yet. Lump of steel in ground last week ready to take the mast.

Been a very active day for Es on 6m FT8 with huge amount of activity down to Spain and Portugal and 10m still open to South America here on south coast UK even now at well past sunset so things are looking up.

73

Max

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 06:17 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Guess who’s been on 4m?

 

1st 4m E’s Contact — G4ELI


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


Max
 

Have love-hate with FT8. Can't help but be amazed by its ability, and often it's the only mode that has any activity on any particular band, and yet it's a strangely hollow mode. Nothing like as satisfying to me as SSB or CW. I prefer a good chat!

For that reason JS8Call has more appeal but not taken the time to set it up. Did take a quick look but found the procedures somewhat baffling, like DMR modes which I also struggle to understand. Like many things to do with amateur radio, there seems quite a lack of "dummies guides" and sometimes seems that those "in the know" like to keep it that way or can't be bothered with a very basic explanation guide for people just starting off in a mode.

Anyway, well done. Might even catch you on 2, 4 or 6 SSB later in the season if I can stop constant stream of interruptions getting in the way of playing with radios. Got a large roll of Heliax that needs pressing in to action!

73

Max


Larry Horlick
 

FT8 and the traditional modes is like the difference between junk food and real food...

Larry

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
Have love-hate with FT8. Can't help but be amazed by its ability, and often it's the only mode that has any activity on any particular band, and yet it's a strangely hollow mode. Nothing like as satisfying to me as SSB or CW. I prefer a good chat!

For that reason JS8Call has more appeal but not taken the time to set it up. Did take a quick look but found the procedures somewhat baffling, like DMR modes which I also struggle to understand. Like many things to do with amateur radio, there seems quite a lack of "dummies guides" and sometimes seems that those "in the know" like to keep it that way or can't be bothered with a very basic explanation guide for people just starting off in a mode.

Anyway, well done. Might even catch you on 2, 4 or 6 SSB later in the season if I can stop constant stream of interruptions getting in the way of playing with radios. Got a large roll of Heliax that needs pressing in to action!

73

Max


Charles Suckling
 

The EME reflectors have a lot of wasted content concerning preferences for  digital v analogue modes.

I'm disappointed to see it starting up here too......

Charlie DL3WDG

On Sat, 21 May 2022 at 14:10, Larry Horlick <llhorlick@...> wrote:
FT8 and the traditional modes is like the difference between junk food and real food...

Larry

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
Have love-hate with FT8. Can't help but be amazed by its ability, and often it's the only mode that has any activity on any particular band, and yet it's a strangely hollow mode. Nothing like as satisfying to me as SSB or CW. I prefer a good chat!

For that reason JS8Call has more appeal but not taken the time to set it up. Did take a quick look but found the procedures somewhat baffling, like DMR modes which I also struggle to understand. Like many things to do with amateur radio, there seems quite a lack of "dummies guides" and sometimes seems that those "in the know" like to keep it that way or can't be bothered with a very basic explanation guide for people just starting off in a mode.

Anyway, well done. Might even catch you on 2, 4 or 6 SSB later in the season if I can stop constant stream of interruptions getting in the way of playing with radios. Got a large roll of Heliax that needs pressing in to action!

73

Max


Simon Brown
 

Well,

 

Just me I suppose, but it’s not nice to see all the DX stations on 4m using FT8 when there’s a strong E’s opening. For EME it’s fine, that’s the sort of thing WSJT modes are for.

 

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles Suckling
Sent: 21 May 2022 14:27
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] G4ELI on 4m

 

The EME reflectors have a lot of wasted content concerning preferences for  digital v analogue modes.

 

I'm disappointed to see it starting up here too......

 

Charlie DL3WDG

 

On Sat, 21 May 2022 at 14:10, Larry Horlick <llhorlick@...> wrote:

FT8 and the traditional modes is like the difference between junk food and real food...

 

Larry

 

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:

Have love-hate with FT8. Can't help but be amazed by its ability, and often it's the only mode that has any activity on any particular band, and yet it's a strangely hollow mode. Nothing like as satisfying to me as SSB or CW. I prefer a good chat!

For that reason JS8Call has more appeal but not taken the time to set it up. Did take a quick look but found the procedures somewhat baffling, like DMR modes which I also struggle to understand. Like many things to do with amateur radio, there seems quite a lack of "dummies guides" and sometimes seems that those "in the know" like to keep it that way or can't be bothered with a very basic explanation guide for people just starting off in a mode.

Anyway, well done. Might even catch you on 2, 4 or 6 SSB later in the season if I can stop constant stream of interruptions getting in the way of playing with radios. Got a large roll of Heliax that needs pressing in to action!

73

Max


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


jdow
 

History never repeats itself; but, it very often rhymes. I remember the SSB vs AM wars. I bet there were CW vs spark wars. I bet there were AM vs CW wars. (Chump bet - it is still running.)

Different people have different goals/ If people could realize that and avoid needless fanaticism we'd all be running digital voice for our on the air chats.

---->>>>>> {^v-}   Grinning ducking and running.

On 20220521 06:26:30, Charles Suckling wrote:
The EME reflectors have a lot of wasted content concerning preferences for  digital v analogue modes.

I'm disappointed to see it starting up here too......

Charlie DL3WDG

On Sat, 21 May 2022 at 14:10, Larry Horlick <llhorlick@...> wrote:
FT8 and the traditional modes is like the difference between junk food and real food...

Larry

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
Have love-hate with FT8. Can't help but be amazed by its ability, and often it's the only mode that has any activity on any particular band, and yet it's a strangely hollow mode. Nothing like as satisfying to me as SSB or CW. I prefer a good chat!

For that reason JS8Call has more appeal but not taken the time to set it up. Did take a quick look but found the procedures somewhat baffling, like DMR modes which I also struggle to understand. Like many things to do with amateur radio, there seems quite a lack of "dummies guides" and sometimes seems that those "in the know" like to keep it that way or can't be bothered with a very basic explanation guide for people just starting off in a mode.

Anyway, well done. Might even catch you on 2, 4 or 6 SSB later in the season if I can stop constant stream of interruptions getting in the way of playing with radios. Got a large roll of Heliax that needs pressing in to action!

73

Max


Frank
 
Edited

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 05:44 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
Actually, I may look at writing my own FT8 / WSJT Mode console later this year.

----

WOWWW Simon.... fantastic Christmas gift...
Inside SDRConsole?
Will you also do the part for the TX or just receive?
 
If so, maybe you can also check out the WSJTx MOD Z v1.22 which uses some "very" interested and useful options/config ...

Afredi SDR standalone also uses a useful system to self-adjust FT8 timer with simple single click on WF to "adapt" the clock decoding time if you are in /P without internet or a GPS...

Also nice to improve SDRconsole something with a little Multichannel (skimmer) scan for PSK and RTTY or maybe add also CW skimmer decoder ...
but without going to redo the DM780 .... ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

73
 


Simon Brown
 

Hi,

 

As a program that interfaces to Console or a soundcard. I just do not like the way FT8 is used where the user has no idea which signal he’s connected to, there’s minimal signal information. Sadly far too many people prefer to work FT8 on VHF when signals are more than strong enough for a SSB/CW QSO, so if I’m to join them it’ll be with a FT8 / WSJT console of my own design.

 

Also, I would like to work Meteor Scatter, so maybe something a bit like my old PSK31 Deluxe / DM780 or whatever it was called where you could decode multiple signals at once.

 

So – I’ll give this some thought over the next couple of months and yes, there would be TX support.

 

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank
Sent: 23 May 2022 11:09
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] G4ELI on 4m

 

[Edited Message Follows]

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 05:44 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
Actually, I may look at writing my own FT8 / WSJT Mode console later this year.

----

WOWWW Simon.... fantastic Christmas gift...
Inside SDRConsole?

Will you also do the part for the TX or just receive?

 

If so, maybe you can also check out the WSJTx MOD Z v1.22 which uses some "very" interested and useful options/config ...

Afredi SDR standalone also uses a useful system to self-adjust FT8 timer with simple single click on WF to "adapt" the clock decoding time if you are in /P without internet or a GPS...


Also nice to improve SDRconsole something with a little Multichannel (skimmer) scan for PSK and RTTY or maybe add also CW skimmer decoder ...
but without going to redo the DM780 .... ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

73

 


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


N2MS
 

Simon,

If I use FT8 it would be to check propagation but not for communications.

Have you considered JS8Call? It least you can send some information during the QSO.

Mike N2MS

On 05/23/2022 7:49 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:


Hi,

As a program that interfaces to Console or a soundcard. I just do not like the way FT8 is used where the user has no idea which signal he’s connected to, there’s minimal signal information. Sadly far too many people prefer to work FT8 on VHF when signals are more than strong enough for a SSB/CW QSO, so if I’m to join them it’ll be with a FT8 / WSJT console of my own design.

Also, I would like to work Meteor Scatter, so maybe something a bit like my old PSK31 Deluxe / DM780 or whatever it was called where you could decode multiple signals at once.

So – I’ll give this some thought over the next couple of months and yes, there would be TX support.


Simon Brown
 

Over here on 4m it's all FT8 .

 

Next month I'll spend a few days looking at a console for the WSJT modes and try to estimate how much work is involved.

 

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

https://www.sdr-radio.com

 

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of N2MS
Sent: 23 May 2022 17:52
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] G4ELI on 4m

 

Simon,

 

If I use FT8 it would be to check propagation but not for communications.

 

Have you considered JS8Call? It least you can send some information during the QSO.

 

Mike N2MS

 

 

> On 05/23/2022 7:49 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

>

>

> Hi,

>

> As a program that interfaces to Console or a soundcard. I just do not like the way FT8 is used where the user has no idea which signal he’s connected to, there’s minimal signal information. Sadly far too many people prefer to work FT8 on VHF when signals are more than strong enough for a SSB/CW QSO, so if I’m to join them it’ll be with a FT8 / WSJT console of my own design.

>

> Also, I would like to work Meteor Scatter, so maybe something a bit like my old PSK31 Deluxe / DM780 or whatever it was called where you could decode multiple signals at once.

>

> So – I’ll give this some thought over the next couple of months and yes, there would be TX support.

 

 

 

 


--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.


Richard Ebbs
 

Been comparing JS8Call with VarAC. VarAC seems to be a lot better and has a developing UI. You can QSY and chat away but at a low speed unless both operators have a Vara license, then it's quite usable.
Unfortunately, you can't use SDR radio for RX as the latency is too big unless someone knows a workaround? TX delay or something like that?
https://www.varac-hamradio.com/

I'm currently running WSPR on 20, 30, and 40m, and my 5 watts into a simple 20m vertical (fiberglass flagpole with 10m of wire wrapped around it) are getting amazing results.
https://www.wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map


What would be good, is WSPR QSO mode!

73 de Richard G0MIE


Alan G4ZFQ
 

What would be good, is WSPR QSO mode!
Richard,

It's been done.
But 2 minute overs did not attract much interest.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


N2MS
 

Richard,

Thanks for the information on VarAC. It looks promising and as you mentioned the UI is still being developed. I will check it out.

73 Mike N2MS

On 05/24/2022 5:26 AM Richard Ebbs <richard.ebbs79@...> wrote:


Been comparing JS8Call with VarAC. VarAC seems to be a lot better and has a developing UI. You can QSY and chat away but at a low speed unless both operators have a Vara license, then it's quite usable.
Unfortunately, you can't use SDR radio for RX as the latency is too big unless someone knows a workaround? TX delay or something like that?
https://www.varac-hamradio.com/

I'm currently running WSPR on 20, 30, and 40m, and my 5 watts into a simple 20m vertical (fiberglass flagpole with 10m of wire wrapped around it) are getting amazing results.
https://www.wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map


What would be good, is WSPR QSO mode!

73 de Richard G0MIE
_._,_._,_


Richard Ebbs
 

VarAC now supports PSK Reporting.... a good indication of your propagation.