Topics

Frustrating

JohnB

I'm at my wits end. V3 seldom starts the SDRPlay RSP2 radio.   And when the radio doesn't start, V3 hangs and refuses to close. I've tried everything. I did a full reset. I did a complete reinstall. I've unplugged and plugged in the USB cable. I've tried different USB ports. I just can't get V3 to reliably start the radio. When the radio does start, however, V3 is a super program and I love it.

The crazy part of this problem is that V3 up to about a week ago ran perfectly.  Then one day the radio wouldn't start, and hasn't reliably started ever since.  What happened?

While on the other hand, SDRuno and HDSDR Beta 2.8 work first time every time.  You would think that would rule out any problem with the radio and computer.  Both are very good and reliable programs, but when V3 is working I like it the best.  I'm frustrated and just about to give up on V3.  Maybe I'll wait for V4 before I scrap Console altogether and move on to something else.

Just for the record, I'm using the SDRPlay RSP2 as a panadapter for my Kenwood TS-590S ham radio.

. . . John (WA3CAS)

Larry Dodd

John
A possibility you might investigate is a virus. They can cause trouble with a program and not others. I ran into this with another program and had to format my hard drive and start over. Not fun but solved the problem. There are many new nasty virus out there.
Larry K4LED

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:21 PM, JohnB <brushj@...> wrote:

[...]

Simon Brown

John,

There is a bug in the SDRplay support library which causes this freeze, it’s been reported to and reproduced by the SDRplay team. While I am waiting for a fix do not use the automatic AGC with high RF gains (8, 9), or simply don’t use the automatic AGC.

The reason for the change over the last week is simply signal levels.

A screenshot will show these values which helps me confirm that it is indeed the SDRplay code which is at fault.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

Mikael Dagman

I had this exact problem twice usuly after a windows update, both times I have got it going by reinstalling sdrplay hw driver https://www.sdrplay.com/software/SDRplay_ExtIO_Installer_1.2.exe but before install I had to disable driver signature enforcement on Windows 10 by open cmd (command promp) in admin mode and enter bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on and press Enter.

/Mikael

Dr.Alexander Hahn

I've installed SDRuno first, got it running, then installed SDR Console V3,
which works without any problems wit Windows 10 and Windows 7.

JohnB

Simon,

I have always kept the RF gain at "1", but turning off AGC fixed the problem.  V3 now starts the radio first time every time. I can even Stop and Start the radio at will without problems. So that puts V3 back on my "nice" list. Once the radio has started, however, I do turn AGC back on, otherwise the audio sounds like crap. Then before I shutdown V3, I turn AGC off. Note that if I'm listening to the audio through the TS-590S, I can keep the AGC off.

73, John (WA3CAS)

R D

I did the above and V3 still would lock up with the RSP 2.

I then under Tools selected the Registry button and just deleted the entry in the registry for SDRplay.

Restarted V3 and everything is now working fine.

As always use caution while in the registry.

Be interested in hearing if this works for anyone else.

Rich, WD3C

Mikael Dagman

After another update and restart the problem was back  so I tried the sugested fix and disabled agc and it started up fine, tnx for the heads up!  :)