Topics

From OP: Re CONSOLE On A Mac, Sorta (a bit more)

rmrrgs

From Bob  (OP):

Yup, Team Viewer just kicked me off of their free version too.
Probably not much merit in pursuing running it.

I tried Any Desk, as suggested.
Works fine.
But-
After about 5 to 10 mutes, every time, it disconnects and has a message that there was;
  "The Network Connection was closed Unexpectedly"

Unlike Team Viewer, I am of the opinion that it is an actual glitch, and not something they are doing purposely.

*Would like to ask if anyone using Any Desk might have any thoughts on, or hints to prevent it from happening ? Do you experience it also ?

BTW:  I'm using on an iMac to miror what's on a w10 pc.

I "think" I read that Google Chrome has a similar program, but am not sure ?
Does it ?  If so, usable from a Mac to read what's on a pc ?

To use the MS version, you apparently need the Professional Version of Windows 10, rather than the Home
version, which is what i now have.

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

Jim Smith G0OFE

It's a glitch.

Some days it happens more frequently, others none at all!

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 07/11/2019 12:13, rmrrgs wrote:
>From Bob  (OP):

Yup, Team Viewer just kicked me off of their free version too.
Probably not much merit in pursuing running it.

I tried Any Desk, as suggested.
Works fine.
But-
After about 5 to 10 mutes, every time, it disconnects and has a message that there was;
  "The Network Connection was closed Unexpectedly"

Unlike Team Viewer, I am of the opinion that it is an actual glitch, and not something they are doing purposely.

*Would like to ask if anyone using Any Desk might have any thoughts on, or hints to prevent it from happening ? Do you experience it also ?

BTW:  I'm using on an iMac to miror what's on a w10 pc.

I "think" I read that Google Chrome has a similar program, but am not sure ?
Does it ?  If so, usable from a Mac to read what's on a pc ?

To use the MS version, you apparently need the Professional Version of Windows 10, rather than the Home
version, which is what i now have.

Regards, and thanks,
Bob

David J Taylor

From: Jim Smith G0OFE

It's a glitch.

Some days it happens more frequently, others none at all!
===================

I use AnyDesk quite a bit, and I've never seen unexpected disconnections. I'm thinking of USB being powered down by Windows/Linux thinking that it's not in use. Could be either server or client PC. Perhaps the server PC going into hibernation, or screen saver?

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Dennis Matzen

Google does have remote solution now. It is called "Chrome Remote Desktop" I installed it and gave it a quick try. Works similar to Team Viewer, you start on the remote computer and it generates a login PIN to use when logging in. Not sure if it can be setup to always run or if it has to be initiated for each session and approved by someone at the remote computer.

I am going to look into it some more to find out how it will work with SDR Console.

Dennis Matzen

Figured out how to use this in a unattended mode so someone at the remote end does not have to allow connections. Also verified it passes audio. So it does work.

On negative is that it seems it will not allow you to change the screen resolution to that of the local PC. You are stuck with the resolution of the remote PC. So it you have a nice 23 " monitor and the remote has a 14" monitor with lousy resolution you are stuck with the lousy resolution on your nice monitor.

If someone can figure out how get around this let me know.

Barry Jablonski

Hi Dennis,

If you don't need the monitor at the remote end, you could consider making that PC "headless" -- using a HDMI Dummy Plug Display Emulator.
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FT1P8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It supports resolutions up to 4K.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Dennis Matzen

Thanks Barry, I just placed an order with Amazon.

I have been using Chrome Remote Desktop all day and it is not bad. I think I like it better than Microsoft's RDP. The screen resolution is the only downside I have found so far.

I will provide an update once I get the dummy plug installed.

Dennis Matzen

The HDMI dummy plug arrived today and it works great. I can now select the resolution of my local monitor so the remote session is full screen.

Thanks again for the suggestion...