Topics

Freezes on Strong Signals

Steve Ellington

Version 3.0.21 or older
Screen freezes when trying to transmit.

I'm using the SDRPLAY Duo
External relay for TX-RX switching.
With any transmitter i.e. DX-60 or even my IC-7610.
When I key down, the screen freezes

Only way to recover is to use Task Manager to close Console.

Any other software works ok. HDSDR or SDRUNO Work fine with no effect from strong signal

I can reduce transmitter drive so RF power is almost zero, gradually increase it and as soon as it gets up to about 20 watts...Blam! The screen freezes, audio drops etc.
I can still change frequency and operate most buttons but the waterfall and spectrum are frozen and no audio.

Console does not seem to like being overloaded. Auto-Mute works on weaker signal but still crashes when power is turned up.

I'm protecting the front end of the SDRPLAY with a limiting device and the relay is RF activated.
I realize it's a strong signal but why ...ONLY SDR Console does this.

I even choked the USB cable with 31 mix ferrite but that has no effect.

Seems to be software related because once the RF reaches a certain level it just freezes.

Any suggestions?

Again...Other software is ok..

73

Allan Isaacs

I can beat that Steve

Whilst looking at any remote SDRs on the Net, when I switch my WS19 to transmit running 2W output to see if I can spot it, the SDR I’m watching freezes for a couple of seconds then starts up again.

My guess is that RF is getting into my Ethernet cable and hanging the router for a brief period.

Allan G3PIY

[...]

_._,_._,_

One difference in the programs is that SDR Console is 64-bit. Anyway, from your report I’m very sure that the SDRplay library is actually frozen, specifically when interfacing to the Duo.

Now I’m guessing that this is due to either the signal level reaching the Duo or internal processing.

Please post a screenshot so I can see the Ribbon bar, Home panel. I’m guessing that it’s too much gain somewhere in the chain.

[...]

Yes,

Could be knocking the router.

[...]

Here is the screen shot.
I also noted that the screen only freezes up when tx and rx are on the same FQ.
It's obviously some kind of overload issue but what to do?
I wasn't sure what the Ribbon bar was so I hope whatever it is shows up here.

Steve n4LQ

Sorry – please add as an attachment, I can’t read this .