Topics

Freezes on Strong Signals

Steve Ellington

Version 3.0.21 or older 
Screen freezes when trying to transmit.

I'm using the SDRPLAY Duo
External relay for TX-RX switching.
With any transmitter i.e. DX-60 or even my IC-7610.
When I key down, the screen freezes

Only way to recover is to use Task Manager to close Console.

Any other software works ok. HDSDR or SDRUNO Work fine with no effect from strong signal

I can reduce transmitter drive so RF power is almost zero, gradually increase it and as soon as it gets up to about 20 watts...Blam! The screen freezes, audio drops etc. 
I can still change frequency and operate most buttons but the waterfall and spectrum are frozen and no audio.

Console does not seem to like being overloaded. Auto-Mute works on weaker signal but still crashes when power is turned up.

I'm protecting the front end of the SDRPLAY with a limiting device and the relay is RF activated. 
I realize it's a strong signal but why ...ONLY SDR Console does this.

I even choked the USB cable with 31 mix ferrite but that has no effect.

Seems to be software related because once the RF reaches a certain level it just freezes.

Any suggestions?

Again...Other software is ok..

Allan Isaacs

I can beat that Steve

Whilst looking at any remote SDRs on the Net, when I switch my WS19 to transmit running 2W output to see if I can spot it, the SDR I’m watching freezes for a couple of seconds then starts up again.

My guess is that RF is getting into my Ethernet cable and hanging the router for a brief period.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Ellington
Sent: 20 March 2020 15:10
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Freezes on Strong Signals

Version 3.0.21 or older 

Any other software works ok. HDSDR or SDRUNO Work fine with no effect from strong signal

I can reduce transmitter drive so RF power is almost zero, gradually increase it and as soon as it gets up to about 20 watts...Blam! The screen freezes, audio drops etc. 
I can still change frequency and operate most buttons but the waterfall and spectrum are frozen and no audio.

Console does not seem to like being overloaded. Auto-Mute works on weaker signal but still crashes when power is turned up.

I'm protecting the front end of the SDRPLAY with a limiting device and the relay is RF activated. 

Seems to be software related because once the RF reaches a certain level it just freezes.

Any suggestions?

_._,_._,_

Simon Brown

Hi,

One difference in the programs is that SDR Console is 64-bit. Anyway, from your report I’m very sure that the SDRplay library is actually frozen, specifically when interfacing to the Duo.

Now I’m guessing that this is due to either the signal level reaching the Duo or internal processing.

Please post a screenshot so I can see the Ribbon bar, Home panel. I’m guessing that it’s too much gain somewhere in the chain.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Ellington

Version 3.0.21 or older 

Any suggestions?

Simon Brown

Yes,

Could be knocking the router.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs
Sent: 20 March 2020 16:49
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Freezes on Strong Signals

I can beat that Steve

Whilst looking at any remote SDRs on the Net, when I switch my WS19 to transmit running 2W output to see if I can spot it, the SDR I’m watching freezes for a couple of seconds then starts up again.

My guess is that RF is getting into my Ethernet cable and hanging the router for a brief period.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Ellington

Version 3.0.21 or older 

Any suggestions?

Steve Ellington

Here is the screen shot. 
I also noted that the screen only freezes up when tx and rx are on the same FQ. 
It's obviously some kind of overload issue but what to do? 
I wasn't sure what the Ribbon bar was so I hope whatever it is shows up here.

Steve n4LQ

Simon Brown

Hi,

Sorry – please add as an attachment, I can’t read this .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Ellington
Sent: 20 March 2020 23:13

Here is the screen shot. 
I also noted that the screen only freezes up when tx and rx are on the same FQ. 
It's obviously some kind of overload issue but what to do? 
I wasn't sure what the Ribbon bar was so I hope whatever it is shows up here.

Steve n4LQ

Steve Ellington

Try this one. 
BTW: I was able to reduce the RF gain down to 5 and it didn't freeze but why should it lock up anyway?
Setting the RFG lower affects reception. 

Allan Isaacs

If its not RF getting into the SDR processor via its USB cable maybe extra peak current is being drawn exceeding the USB power capacity?

Are you using USB3 with nothing else on its hub and a decent USB cable?

Allan G3PIY

Sent: 21 March 2020 13:16

Try this one. 
BTW: I was able to reduce the RF gain down to 5 and it didn't freeze but why should it lock up anyway?

Steve Ellington

SDRplay Duo is not USB3. 
I changed the USB cable to a shorter one on a different port... No change...Still freezes with RF gain at 7. So I don't think it's DC power related.
It works with RFG at 5 or 6 but at 7,,,BLAM it freezes when transmitting. 
It's a function of signal strength coming into the antenna port. 

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Allan Isaacs <allan@...> wrote:

If its not RF getting into the SDR processor via its USB cable maybe extra peak current is being drawn exceeding the USB power capacity?

Allan G3PIY

Sent: 21 March 2020 13:16

Try this one. 

Allan Isaacs

USB3 supplies more power Steve, so if you have a very high peak surge current it should handle it better than USB2.

Allan G3PIY

Sent: 21 March 2020 15:07
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io

SDRplay Duo is not USB3. 

I changed the USB cable to a shorter one on a different port... No change...Still freezes with RF gain at 7. So I don't think it's DC power related.

Allan G3PIY

Steve Ellington

Allan:
You were correct.
I connected SDRPLAY to a USB-3 port and now Console works when I key up. Auto mute also works as it should. 
I guess it's the difference in software and Console requires more power. 
Thanks
N4LQ

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 1:05 PM Allan Isaacs <allan@...> wrote:

USB3 supplies more power Steve, so if you have a very high peak surge current it should handle it better than USB2.

Allan G3PIY

SDRplay Duo is not USB3. 

Allan G3PIY

Fred

Steve,
I used to have this problem with my RSP2pro.

I have everything that is hooked up to my PC has mix 31on it. Even the power cable.
The cat 5 cable feed to the router also.

Another thing I did was run a small piece of wire to ground the PC and to the screws on the boards.

Fred KB4QZH

Jerry Lofstead

I have to use a shielded USB cable with a clamp on ferrite choke.  It is amazing what a little RF on a cable can do.
Jerry W3CDE

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM Steve Ellington <steven4lq@...> wrote:
Allan:
You were correct.
I connected SDRPLAY to a USB-3 port and now Console works when I key up. Auto mute also works as it should. 
Thanks
N4LQ

Allan G3PIY

SDRplay Duo is not USB3. 

Allan G3PIY

Steve Ellington

Well in my case it wasn't RF related. I just switched to a USB-3 port on the PC and it worked. 
The USB cable is also a 3 type but I had to convert to a USB 2 to plug into the Sdrplay. 

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 4:30 PM Jerry Lofstead <glofstead@...> wrote:
I have to use a shielded USB cable with a clamp on ferrite choke.  It is amazing what a little RF on a cable can do.
Jerry W3CDE

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM Steve Ellington <steven4lq@...> wrote:
Allan:
You were correct.
Thanks
N4LQ

Allan G3PIY

SDRplay Duo is not USB3. 

Allan G3PIY

M0ZEH

To help you find the usb 3 port, if you have one.
Thanks Steve m0zeh

Ray Lyford

You may want to look at Artemis to help with uknown digital signals. It's free.

Regards Ray

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of M0ZEH <m0zeh@...>
Sent: 22 March 2020 07:21
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>

Thanks Steve m0zeh 

Ray Lyford

In short, ARTEMIS is a signals hunter software and a useful aid for radio listeners! The analysis of real-time spectra (from your SDR, for instance) is made simple: you can take advantage using one of the largest RF signal database (with over 300 records).
aresvalley.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Lyford <ancient_brit@...>
Sent: 22 March 2020 12:03

Regards Ray

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of M0ZEH <m0zeh@...>
Sent: 22 March 2020 07:21

Thanks Steve m0zeh 

Allan Isaacs

Thanks Ray. Just installed it but didn’t spot it in their database though.

Maybe it’s local interference because I found a similarly shaped signal on 16KHz a few months ago which we reckoned was from solar panel inverters.

It also appears to have 8 signalling channels but although the VLF signals are there now the HF ones have gone.

Regards Allan

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ray Lyford
Sent: 22 March 2020 12:06

In short, ARTEMIS is a signals hunter software and a useful aid for radio listeners! The analysis of real-time spectra (from your SDR, for instance) is made simple: you can take advantage using one of the largest RF signal database (with over 300 records).

aresvalley.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Lyford <ancient_brit@...>
Sent: 22 March 2020 12:03

Regards Ray

jdow

Blue insert tab.
{^_^}

On 20200322 00:21:53, M0ZEH wrote:
Thanks Steve m0zeh

Ray Lyford

You could try making a Video and see if anyone on youtube knows what it is. No idea what else to suggest.

Ray

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of jdow <jdow@...>
Sent: 22 March 2020 13:36

Blue insert tab.
{^_^}

On 20200322 00:21:53, M0ZEH wrote:
>
> To help you find the usb 3 port, if you have one.
> Thanks Steve m0zeh
>