FM Broadcast "Scanner"

Les Rayburn

With the addition of MPX output, an improved RDS decoder, and the powerful FM database, SDR-Console is already an incredible tool for FM DX fans.

The one feature that is still missing is an ability similar to the “RDS Data Logger” plug-in available for SDR Sharp.

This useful tool allows you to program in the ability to sweep through the entire band, channel by channel; dwelling on each one for 7-10 seconds. If an RDS signal is detected, it is automatically logged to a text file.

The RDS Logger has the ability to scan in either 100 kHz or 200 kHz channels, making it useful worldwide. You can skip local channels if you desire, and adjust how long it remains on each channel.

During e-skip openings, you can assign an SDR to this task, gathering RDS confirmations while you twist the dial on another unit listening to live DX. You can also let it run while at work detecting brief e-skip openings.

If such an ability where incorporated into SDR-Console, it would truly become the pinnacle achievement for FM DXing. Any chance we could see that in the future?

Thanks for all that you do Simon.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

Powered by Mailbutler, the email extension that does it all

Radio Guy

I wonder if your idea would work for detecting HD radio signals in the AM medium wave band as well.

--

-----------
Ken

Jim Smith G0OFE

There is already an RDS logger built in. The only part missing is the automatic scan.

There is a workaround involving CSVUserlistBrowser by DF8RY. Download the software, and look up "using markers to scan".

Not done it myself as I use a different method involving several recievers and scanning recorded files.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 27/05/2021 17:18, Les Rayburn wrote:
[...]

If / when I do this we could actually run more than one RX scanning, just depends on available resources. Any scanner would also work with IQ files.

[...]

Patrick

FM Broadcast "Scanner"
From: Les Rayburn
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:19:20 PDT
With the addition of MPX output, an improved RDS decoder, and the powerful FM database, SDR-Console is already an incredible tool for FM DX fans.

Is it then possible to run RDS Spy // Console RDS decoder ?
I had a quick look at it but did not find how to set it up with my Airspy HF+

Have a great day, despite conds are very flat today.

Jim Smith G0OFE

Yes, you can run both. Quite a few of us do. sometimes on marginals Spy will pick up the PI code when Console doesn't, sometimes it's the other way round!

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

FM Broadcast "Scanner"
From: Les Rayburn
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:19:20 PDT
With the addition of MPX output, an improved RDS decoder, and the powerful FM database, SDR-Console is already an incredible tool for FM DX fans.

Is it then possible to run RDS Spy // Console RDS decoder ?
I had a quick look at it but did not find how to set it up with my Airspy HF+

Have a great day, despite conds are very flat today.

Patrick

Hi there !

Could someone explain "how to" ? (run RDS Spy with Console)
Thanks a lot.

Les Rayburn

Patrick,

I got mine working in SDR Console by selecting “FM Broadcast” as my receiver, then selected “spectrum” from the available options.

This pulls up the FM spectrum window that highlights the location of the L/R channels, stereo pilot tone, and RDS signal if available.

On this window, there is a second series of options available. There you can select to send the MPX signal output, select deemphasis, set the level, etc.

Additionally, you’ll need to download the free RDS Spy software:

And you’ll need to install the High Fi Version of VB Cable, also free:

Your sound card needs to be able to support 192 kHz audio (most will now). And you select MPX as the input on RDS Spy.

I strongly suggest “testing” on a strong local station that injects a high level of RDS. NPR stations are often perfect for this…and once you have it all set up correct, the decode will pop up almost instantly.