Topics

Ettus Research N210 + UBX-40

Terry_G0EZY

SDR-Console has been working successfully with my Ettus Research N210 and BasicRx daughterboard (0-250 MHz Rxonly). I have now obtained a UBX-40 10 Mhz - 6 GHz Tx/Rx daughterboard.

Has anyone tried this combination? I realise that SDR-Console won't provide Tx but just checking whether I can expect the Rx to work OK?

I'm having some problems getting the Ettus Research UHD utilities to recognise this new combination - so will have to get this problem sorted before testing with SDR-Radio.

73 Terry

erik@...

Hi,

After a day in which I thought I would self-harm, I finally, last night got my B210 working. So I feel your pain.

The libusb thing didn't work for me, the standard UHD driver worked.

I also had to define the UHD images directory in the environmental variables too. So I took care to find the dir where they SHOULD be, copied that, added to the PATH env variables, such as:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Other Software\cmake-3.13.2-win64-x64\bin;C:\Program Files\UHD\share\uhd\images

I had to add the Cmake thing too, as you can see.

In the end, the logfile is your friend.

I know of few people that will come to this hobby, if getting off the shelf devices working, is like defusing a bomb.

I'd like to see SDR Console be a Next-Next-Finsh sort of install, which includes all the Cmake, libusb, etc

Am I being too simplistic? Maybe, but like I said, not many are going to take the plunge into SDR, if its such a pain to set up.

BTW, RTL dongle did sort of work right out the box it must be said, and SDR Console if my favorite piece of SDR sofware (so far).

Peace,

Erik the frustrated.

Rob Salsgiver

Erik,

Thanks for the post and reminder.  I’ve had my N210 and UBX for probably 4-5 years now, and for various reasons haven’t used it in 3+.  I am slowly completing other projects with the hope of returning to it in the next few months.   I too remember the pain of initially setting my N210 up, the UHD installs, etc, etc.  It was a challenge particularly with no established roadmap to follow.  In my case I was trying to set it up not only to be used with SDR console on Windows, but also with GNU radio on Linux.

I did get it to work in both environments, but as I said and you noted, it was a challenge.

Unless things have changed significantly though, part of the reason for the challenge is due to the drastically different audiences the Ettus products are “geared” for, at least compared to many other SDRs.  The Ettus is more of a lab and scientific platform than many of the others that are targeted at the amateur radio community – for example.  This does not negate your observation that the more challenging path will result in fewer people adopting and using the Ettus products.  Unfortunately they are geared toward other RF environments where the support is more readily available – i.e. RF engineers instead of the “off the shelf” user community.

That said, there is a lot of capability in these units and resources online that will allow you to explore more facets in RF than just amateur radio if you look for them.  The GNU Radio and USRP mailing lists are invaluable to getting started and getting the most out of them.  I personally got a significant boost when attending a local annual amateur radio Digital Radio conference (Microhams) that happened to feature a speaker that year who had followed this path before me, and gave me some great encouragement and pointers to get me started.  Although I lost touch with him (my fault), it was a great help at the time.

Keep at it, and consider publishing your trials, tribulations, and successes of your journey somewhere, so that others may follow an easier path.

Cheers,

Rob Salsgiver – NR3O