From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 02 July 2022 03:42
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Elad S2 and SDRC version 3.1

I had this issue before but cannot correct it this time.

Using the subject set up on my Win 10 computer, I am now not receiving audio that sounds good.  What I hear sounds like the audio is being over-driven.  With crackling sounds at times.

What I need is a way to decrease the RF Gain to SDR Console.

Using the Elad native software, the auto sounds fine, as it used to using SDRC.

So what is the secret to cut the RF Gain in SDRC when using the Elad S2?  It must be there somewhere.

Thanks,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I changed the audio out to the Speakers and the problem seemed to clear up.  Of course, I would like to be able to use a VAC, as in the past.  I have attached the control panel display for the VAC.  Any suggestions?

I have tried the three buffering settings Low, Medium, High with no difference.

The stuttering kind of sound is detectable when VAC 8 was chosen.

I have tried the 20 db attenuation with VAC 8 selected, but that made no difference.

Also, the requested screen shot is attached along with the VAC Control Panel picture.

Take care.

Regards,
George

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 09:34:36 PM PDT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

George,

Show the screen shot with the Home panel of the ribbon bar visible.
  • You can always add Attenuation,
  • This could be a VAC setting (my guess).
Everything does look good - not at all overloaded.

I had this issue before but cannot correct it this time.

Using the subject set up on my Win 10 computer, I am now not receiving audio that sounds good.  What I hear sounds like the audio is being over-driven.  With crackling sounds at times.

What I need is a way to decrease the RF Gain to SDR Console.

Using the Elad native software, the auto sounds fine, as it used to using SDRC.

So what is the secret to cut the RF Gain in SDRC when using the Elad S2?  It must be there somewhere.

Thanks,
George

I'm not an expert, in the VAC try setting a big buffer - Stream buffer watermark control and/or Stream buffer (ms). I do understand what's happening.

I had this issue before but cannot correct it this time.

Using the subject set up on my Win 10 computer, I am now not receiving audio that sounds good.  What I hear sounds like the audio is being over-driven.  With crackling sounds at times.

What I need is a way to decrease the RF Gain to SDR Console.

Using the Elad native software, the auto sounds fine, as it used to using SDRC.

So what is the secret to cut the RF Gain in SDRC when using the Elad S2?  It must be there somewhere.

Thanks,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks Simon,

I notice the stream buffer watermark control is not enabled. That will be my first try with the timings that are already showing and then go up from there.

Is the stream buffer (ms) that you are referring to the one that says AUTO?

I may also try VB cable and see if that works.

I am running 3 internet rtty decoding feeds to 3 instances of FLDigi. Perhaps that is slowing things down as well. The internet rtty news feeds is discussed at rtty.com.

Enjoy the weekend, Simon.

One quick question. I like in other sdr packages the ability to have a solid color under the spectrum curve. I cannot do that with SDRC, even having a 1 color pallette. The program still takes the single color and makes a gradient out of it for under the spectrum curve.  Any chance to allow a solid color and maintain the colorful waterfall?

Regards,
George

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 12:50 AM, Simon Brown
I'm not an expert, in the VAC try setting a big buffer - Stream buffer watermark control and/or Stream buffer (ms). I do understand what's happening.

I had this issue before but cannot correct it this time.

Using the subject set up on my Win 10 computer, I am now not receiving audio that sounds good.  What I hear sounds like the audio is being over-driven.  With crackling sounds at times.

What I need is a way to decrease the RF Gain to SDR Console.

Using the Elad native software, the auto sounds fine, as it used to using SDRC.

So what is the secret to cut the RF Gain in SDRC when using the Elad S2?  It must be there somewhere.

Thanks,
George

Peter

Hi George,

Looking at your VAC settings, I see both underflows and overflows.
The first thing I would do is reduce Ms per int from 7 to 4 ( maybe 5 )
You should never see underflows or overflows if everything is running smoothly.

2nd - in your previous message, did I really see CW in the BCFM band ???
If that's so, I'd think your radio's front-end is getting overloaded badly !!

Just my 2 cents worth - but hopefully something useful in it.

Cheers,
Pete.

Jim Smith G0OFE

THat's not CW, it's the carrier that appears on BC-FM when low or no modulation, such as with gaps in speech.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 02/07/2022 12:16, Peter via groups.io wrote:
Hi George,

Looking at your VAC settings, I see both underflows and overflows.
The first thing I would do is reduce Ms per int from 7 to 4 ( maybe 5 )
You should never see underflows or overflows if everything is running smoothly.

2nd - in your previous message, did I really see CW in the BCFM band ???
If that's so, I'd think your radio's front-end is getting overloaded badly !!

Just my 2 cents worth - but hopefully something useful in it.

Cheers,
Pete.

jdow

I know nothing about VAC; but, looking at your picture of its settings panel the "Clock corr ratio" value raises the hairs on my neck a little. Is that "100.0000000" as in 100.0000000% or 100.0000000 ppm? The former is good. The latter is very bad.

You might want to adjust the "ATT" setting from off to a higher number. That would mitigate RF overload.

{^_^}

On 20220702 00:11:29, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:
[...]

VAC Control Panel VAC8.bmp

Screenshot-2022-07-01-235335.jpeg

George Stein - NJ3H

Thank you Peter and Jim for your comments.

However, the situation seems worse than I thought.  Please look at the attached picture.  You will notice gaps in the waterfall.  When those gaps occur, the spectrum drops down (as in no signal).

However, when using the Elad native software (which I do not like big time), there are no gaps whatsoever.  Other SDRs that I have are not acting up when using their native software.

So it appears that something in SDRC must be acting up.  I really like SDRC so I hope there is some kind of solution to this problem.

I restarted the computer.  This did not fix the issue.  I am not using a VAC.  The audio is going to the computer speakers.

So any ideas as to what else I can check would be most appreciated.

Regards,
George

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 05:55:59 AM PDT, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

[...]

Simon Brown

Ribbon bar, Home, Wideband DSP, Auto Mute is enabled.

[...]

More Attenuation. Experiment. It's good for you. You learn your equipment that way.

{^_^}

On 20220702 10:10:07, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Screenshot-2022-07-02-095410.jpeg

Screenshot-2022-07-02-100922.jpeg

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Simon,

I also installed vers 3.2 just now.  Good eyes.  That fixed that in a flash.  Good eyes!

Now I can get back to the VAC issue. HI HI

At least you can celebrate the 4th of July in that you all off-loaded a real problem some 246 years ago.

Regards,
George

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 10:18:36 AM PDT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

[...]

There's one big problem residing in No 10 Downing Street many of us would like to send over on a one-way ticket. Any chance you would take him in?

Pretty please?

[...]

Mike Bott

Hard Pass!, thank you very much.

:)

--
Mike

On 7/3/22 02:55, Simon Brown wrote:
There's one big problem residing in No 10 Downing Street many of us would like to send over on a one-way ticket. Any chance you would take him in?

Pretty please?

Don Woodward

We have our own problem - maybe Putin wants both.

Does SDRCONSOLE support the Icom RC28 tuning wheel remote.

Don W
KD4APP

[...]

Sorry,

I don't know anything about the ICOM R28.

[...]

He makes me think of a disheveled Mitt Romney - Lots of promise and a total fail when the rubber hits the road.

{^_^}

On 20220703 05:49:26, Mike Bott wrote:
Hard Pass!, thank you very much.

:)

--
Mike

On 7/3/22 02:55, Simon Brown wrote:
There's one big problem residing in No 10 Downing Street many of us would like to send over on a one-way ticket. Any chance you would take him in?

Pretty please?

Mike Bott

Say "Bye, bye" Boris.  And we still don't want him.  :)