From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Walch
Sent: 07 September 2021 20:09
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] DRM in SDRC?

Hi Simon,

I came across a post on The SWLing Post (https://swling.com/blog/2021/09/short-recording-of-bbc-world-service-in-drm/) that the author shows using another SDR reciever to listen to BBC DRM. The SDR image shows the use of a "Dream 2.2.1" DRM plug-in. This can be found on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/drm/).

DRM isn't used in the US, but it is in Europe. I know you've danced around this for a long time. I also don't know if this is much use to you in SDRC, but I thought I'd pass this along. The reviews are mixed to "it works" to "it doesn't work". These files are a little dated from 2019.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Walch

That's unfortunate. I'm guessing that's like your UK TV licensing situation. I've heard stories about the "TV Police" going around the neighborhoods looking for unlicensed TV's. I guess on your end, you could implement DRM/DAB in SDRC, but you'd probably have to show a licensing fee is paid by the end user, which is something that you probably don't want to get into and administer. However, you could still offer your FREE version of SDRC (with the ubiquitous donation keep your pup fed), and a PAID version that has that DRM/DAB function enabled, again, mostly for your UK/EU folks.

On 9/7/2021 3:32 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Hi,

For a software provider the problem with DRM is  codec licencing, the entity providing the software is responsible for the licence fee, not the end user. An example: ELAD ship a DRM solution and pay a licence for each unit. Same problem with DAB, if you ship or promote a DAB solution you are responsible for the licence.

I came across a post on The SWLing Post (https://swling.com/blog/2021/09/short-recording-of-bbc-world-service-in-drm/) that the author shows using another SDR reciever to listen to BBC DRM. The SDR image shows the use of a "Dream 2.2.1" DRM plug-in. This can be found on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/drm/).

DRM isn't used in the US, but it is in Europe. I know you've danced around this for a long time. I also don't know if this is much use to you in SDRC, but I thought I'd pass this along. The reviews are mixed to "it works" to "it doesn't work". These files are a little dated from 2019.

Cheers,
Bill

It’s the audio codec used by DRM / DAB/DAB+. Doesn’t matter whether you use a codec from github or the codec owner you must still pay a licence for every unit shipped as you are using the codec API which is the licenced property. I think the same is true when you ship hardware with a HDMI connector.

I came across a post on The SWLing Post (https://swling.com/blog/2021/09/short-recording-of-bbc-world-service-in-drm/) that the author shows using another SDR reciever to listen to BBC DRM. The SDR image shows the use of a "Dream 2.2.1" DRM plug-in. This can be found on SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/drm/).

DRM isn't used in the US, but it is in Europe. I know you've danced around this for a long time. I also don't know if this is much use to you in SDRC, but I thought I'd pass this along. The reviews are mixed to "it works" to "it doesn't work". These files are a little dated from 2019.

Cheers,
Bill

kb3cs

not precisely true  ;)

Radio Marti transmits DRM from North Carolina daily on 7345 kHz.

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/radio-marti-begins-shortwave-drm-transmissions

the Dream demodulator program needs only the audio from your receiver set to USB mode with the bandwidth set appropriately wide.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 12:09 PM, Bill Walch wrote:
[...]
DRM isn't used in the US, but it is in Europe.
[...]

Simon Brown

Maybe Bill means DAB?

Radio Marti transmits DRM from North Carolina daily on 7345 kHz.

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/radio-marti-begins-shortwave-drm-transmissions

the Dream demodulator program needs only the audio from your receiver set to USB mode with the bandwidth set appropriately wide.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 12:09 PM, Bill Walch wrote:

[...]
DRM isn't used in the US, but it is in Europe.

[...]

Bjarne Mjelde

I'm no DRM fan myself. But one way of "allowing use" of DRM with Console might be to design a "mode" with the necessary parameters and then feed a third-pary demodulator via VAC. Most recent versions of HDSDR does this.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

данила фадеев

There seems to be no problem at the moment for processing the DRM signal through the SDRC> VAC> Dream chain. Of course, in the Console, you need to turn off the equalizers, as well as turn off any "sound effects" in the system.
  In turn, I am annoyed by the non-disconnectable AGC in the built-in audio player SDRDataFileAnalyser v2.xx. But it seems that when using IQ files of 32 bit format float, AGC is disabled there as well.

Danila
Russia, Krasnodar