Topics

Distorted SDR Sound in Win10 Virtual Environment

Russ Hamilton

Given two identical virtual environments can anyone shed light on why a win10 environment would have distorted SDR sound while a win7 environment would not?  Platform is Apple iMac running Catalina and VMware Fusion 12, both SDR-Console and SDR# are affected using SDRdx and Airspy HF+ Discovery.  Both windows platforms have all their updates, same memory and CPU cores, plenty of SSD space, SDR software settings are identical between win10 and win7.  Very frustrating to say the least.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Radio Guy

I had that issue with Win 10.
I went to speaker icon, right click " troubleshoot sound problems"
Then it said something like  " don't use this tool unless you have a problem."
It asked which port the cable was plugged into, then I proceeded with the test.
Performed this while the audio was streaming, immediately it cleared up, and the message was " problem resolved".

On my computer there were three audio output options, front of computer, back and HDMI, perhaps the audio was being fed to two ports at the same time.

The audio was distorting on the high frequency peaks, very irritating to listen to, is that what you are hearing?

--

-----------
Ken

Russ Hamilton

Thanks Radio Guy, I tried the “troubleshoot sound problems” and it found nothing wrong. I have made sure the latest driver was installed and for sdrplay installed their recommended driver, no help. All sound levels look OK. All “playback” and “recording” settings, as applicable, are correct. I have varied sound sample rate and bits all of which made little difference.

I have run the SDR USB cable through a powered hub and direct neither of which made a difference surprisingly. It also seemed that if I raised (!) SDR sample rate the distortion decreased, contrary to expectations. It’s been very strange.

Since the only difference between good and bad sound is win7 and win10 respectively both in their separate virtual environments with same SDR type and settings (SDRdx and Airspy HF+ Discovery, one at a time), apparently win10 has a different sound architecture than win7 and if I could replicate win7 settings in win10 that might be worth trying if I knew how, which is why I posted.

Or I could get a win10 PC just for SDRs, I know, I know. Creeping shack complexity though, it’s gotten bad enough. :-)

Russ

Simon Brown

Russ,

In a few months we should see the Intel NUC with 11th gen i5 - I'm planning on using one for the station here - a tiny box with considerable grunt. Will report back later...

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.