Topics

DDE Protocol for rotor tracking

Chris Prosser

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to connect my channel master rotor to SDR console for satellite tracking. I've written code for an ESP 32 microcontroller that successfully sends the correct infrared commands to position the rotor.

I see that SDR Console/Satellites has support for DDE server to support Nova and Orbitron. It's been roughly 20 years since I last coded DDE. Two questions:

1) What's the topic and server name?
2) is it a polling, or push style interface?

I see that Nova has documentation for when they act as a server: http://www.nlsa.com/docs/nfw_dde.txt . Does SDR Console (with different server and topic names) operate similarly?

My plan is to write a small program that subscribes to the DDE topic and forwards data via TCP/IP onto the ESP 32.

Also, my hats off to the author of SDR Console. I've been auditing all of the satellite tracking programs I can find, and SDR Console is by far the most usable of them all.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Prosser
chris@...

Chris Prosser

After much google sleuthing figured this out. For future reference if anyone ends up here:

Nova DDE specification: https://www.nlsa.com/rotator/dde.html
But it's a little wrong. The server is 'NFW32', topic is 'NFW_DATA', then you advise on item 'NFW_SERVER'.

Orbitron DDE Specification: http://alfaradio.ca/docs/Manuals/MD-01/Orbitron/mydde_for_md01/read_me.txt
The server is 'Orbitron', topic is 'Tracking', then you advise on item 'TrackingData' (or 'TrackingDataEx').

Sample python code attached.

--chris

David J Taylor

... and should you wish to use my WXtrack program, the DDE details are:

Application name: WXtrack
Topic: Tracking
Item: Tracking

I've been using this with Meteor-M and the auto-switch option. You poll this.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Chris Prosser

Thanks David!

Prototyped it in. Now back to the ESP32 code.

--
Chris Prosser
chris@...

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019, at 2:24 AM, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
... and should you wish to use my WXtrack program, the DDE details are:

Application name: WXtrack
Topic: Tracking
Item: Tracking

I've been using this with Meteor-M and the auto-switch option. You poll
this.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

M0ZEH

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 03:23 AM, Chris Prosser wrote:
TrackingData
Does anyone know of a free DDE client that can forward data to a serial port?
I just read the DDE from SDR-Console but don't know how to forward the data in a stream.

Thanks Steve M0ZEH

M0ZEH

Hi guys,

I'm pleased to announce I can use sdr-console without orbitron to drive my homemade rotator that uses the serial port.  Using orbitron dde output from sdr-console via this app 'orbitron to serial' http://tripsintech.com/orbitron-dde-azimuth-elevation-to-serial/.
For anyone interested in how I achieved it my write up is here http://www.m0zeh.byethost31.com/Rotator%20for%20Satellite%20Antenna.html?v=1

Thanks Steve M0ZEH