CW skimmer with External Receiver #cw

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

I can’t figure out how to get CW skimmer to decode my external Rx . I have SDR console and my 101d working fine together. I even have CW Skimmer’s frequency moving when I move my VFO I downloaded virtual cables. In the Skimmer section of the console I check enable, checked serial port CNCA0. Output device is my Virtual cable. In CW Skimmer for Audio I/O device is my 101d audio, output device is my Virtual cable. Channels Left/Right +i/Q.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Cody

David Walker <vk2na@...>

I have the same issue.     Did you find a fix?

w2eck

Same here, have posted similar questions before but got no response. I have an FTDX10/SPRdx paired with SDRConsole but have yet to get it working with CWSkimmer. So hope your question will generate some more repsonses

73 Paul w2eck

Max

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 04:31 AM, Cody wrote:
I can’t figure out how to get CW skimmer to decode my external Rx . I have SDR console and my 101d working fine together. I even have CW Skimmer’s frequency moving when I move my VFO I downloaded virtual cables. In the Skimmer section of the console I check enable, checked serial port CNCA0. Output device is my Virtual cable. In CW Skimmer for Audio I/O device is my 101d audio, output device is my Virtual cable. Channels Left/Right +i/Q.
I have CW Skimmer working with SDR Console but not with an external radio. I have an SDR, the Hermes Lite 2.

If you can explain your setups fully it might help to understand the issue. For example, Cody mentions that he is feeding audio from the 101d to CW Skimmer. In that case (as far as I understand it anyway) that's a totally different setup to feeding to CW Skimmer via a virtual cable. In fact, if the audio is going to skimmer from the 101 then the virtual cable from SDRC is superfluent. In each individual case please fully describe the kit and setup. For example, is an SDR being used as a panadapter from the rig IF output? Some rigs don't give IQ output and need adapter boards to get RF out of the IF section to feed to the panadapter. Some (I have no idea which) probably feed IQ out to SDRC? Maybe some of the more recent rigs do this. I've been surprised by how few offer it, even quite recent rigs.

I for one don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of what hardware offers what features and I don't have the time to go researching every individual rig. So in each case please give an exact description of how the rigs are set up and then someone may be able to offer some pointers. As I say, I don't run an external radio so it may or not be me who answers. If I think I can help then I will try.

Max

David Walker <vk2na@...>

I have tried a lot of things.  I can see CW Skimmer running and it follows the SDR RX frequency nicely, but CW signals aren't showing up in CW Skinner.  I've tried IQ at 48 Khz through to 192 Khz. If I funnel the audio into the CW skimmer out to the PC speakers it's just white noise.  The VAC cable is set to 48 - 192 khz / 2 Channels.

Max

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 11:40 PM, Dave Walker wrote:
I've tried IQ at 48 Khz through to 192 Khz.
IQ from where? Without a description of the full setup it's hard for anyone to help.

Max

Dave Walker <vk2na@...>

I have been using this as a guide.  Software Defined Radio (sdr-radio.com)

Max

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 02:38 AM, Dave Walker wrote:
have been using this as a guide.  Software Defined Radio (sdr-radio.com)
OK, I went back and ran SDRC with CW Skimmer receiving signals. If I listen across the VAC I've designated to CW Skimmer, initially I thought it was pretty much silent. Then I turned speaker level up full and I could hear very faint white noise with some high pitched CW just audible in the background. So what you are hearing may not be abnormal.

I say again, a full description of your exact setup is pretty much essential to diagnose any issues. ALso as many screengrabs of the setup screens as you like,. There is no such thing as too little information. All I can repeat from another thread on here (or was it on the other forum - I forget - so many threads on this topic now) is that I've got it working exactly as intended by Simon with a normal SDR attached, but I don't use external radio. But I don't see anything about the external radio that should be an issue.

So I repeat once again the question you did not answer before. Where are you feeding the VAC from? Is it direct from SDRC or is it from the external radio audio out, for example? Also, which VAC software are you using?

w2eck

I would like to jump into this thread if I can.
My setup is; an EFHW antenna feeds  into an SDR Switch then out of switch to a FTDX 10. I have an RSPDX being fed off the SDR switch and a PTT line running from the FTDX 10 to SDR Switch.
Software; SDRConsole v3.2 build 2731. Win4Yeasu, Com0Com, Omnirig, CWSkimmer, VAC, VoiceMeeter

I use Win4Yeassu to control all functions of the FTDX10 with a mouse
I have added the FTDX10 as an external Radio to SDRConsole
I have followed the setup instructions in https://www.sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer to the letter
In CWSkimmer- Settings- Audio- Signal I/O Device - I have Line 1 virtual Audio Cable: Audio I/O Device 14 Voicemeeter Input ( VB-AudiVoi

Current Status:
I have the FDX10 spectrum display on SDRConsole
I have CAT control of the FTDX via SDRConsole. I click on sa signal in SDRConsole (SDRC) and the FTDX follows
CWSkimmer follows any frequency change made in SDRC
I beleive I have all running as advertised except I lack and audio signals coming from SDRC to CWSkimmer-
I am seeing NO Signals in the CWSkimmer Waterfall

I believe my problem is in the set up of VoiceMeeter. the directions say
  1. Install, a cable is created as part of the installation:
    • SDR Console writes to Voicemeter Aux Input
    • CW Skimmer reads from Voicemeter Aux Output

I need some help with the proper choices in VoiceMeeter. Can someone help me with this??

73 Paul w2eck

w2eck

I forgot to add I have Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable as a Hardware Input to VoiceMeeter - what and where do I select the output?

73 Paul w2eck

Max

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 10:11 PM, w2eck wrote:
I forgot to add I have Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable as a Hardware Input to VoiceMeeter - what and where do I select the output?

73 Paul w2eck
Paul, couple of things:

(1) Just to be totally clear, the VAC you use to pipe IQ to CW Skimmer from SDRC should be totally separate from any VACs that are set in the RX DSP pane in SDRC. Maybe that's the case with yours, but just mentioning. This seems to have been a source of confusion with some people in the past. I'm not clear on your post about the routing of your VAC. Basically the VAC (a dedicated one, separate from any audio stream) should be set in the CW Skimmer settings panel in SDRC and the other end of that VAC should be picked up in CW Skimmer with nothing else in between.

(2) So far I'm the only one who seems to have had issues, but try as I might I have never got a VB-Audio (Voicemeeter) VAC to work for me with outputs from SDRC. Weird, because I don't have issues going the other way (using VB-Audio to route audio to SDRC. I guess it must be an oddity of my PC hardware (Realtek audio chipset). Nobody else I've heard of on here seems to have the same issue. However, there's a small chance that you have the same issue? I cleared all my VAC problems by using the original VAC from Eugene Muzychenko. Unfortunately it's paid-for software, but it might be worth at least downloading the trial version to see if you can get a signal through from SDRC to CW Skimmer:

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

I can't really risk doing tests with CW Skimmer at the moment because for some reason it keeps blue-screen crashing my PC, but at the weekend, after about 10 years of using the same PC I'm doing a big PC upgrade so after that I will re-test with VB-Audio after that.

73

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

vb audio works fine here (i have SEVEN virtual cables installed)

vb cable (system sounds, youtube etc etc<9

vb cable a and b (sdr console mic and speaker AFTER filtering)

and hifi cable (usable for cw skimmer or rds spy

plus 3 that came with the mixer voicemeter potatoe (used for additional routing audio via a dsp filter software to surpress noise etc)

all soundcards (real and virtual cables!!) are set to 48 kc sampling except the "hificable" ... that needs more bw for rds decoding via rds spy

as you can see on the above list i have two soundcards (virtual) for mic and speaker on sdrconsole ... and a THIRD ONE for cw skimmer/rds spy .. that grabs the data BEFORE ssb filtering!! so should give you the full bw in cw skimmer

hope that helps others a bit

feel free to ask for details

73 dg9bfc sigi

sidenote: i also have realtek chipset and have no problems ... plus an additional "el cheapo" 5 bucks usb soundcard for my desktop speakers ;-)

Am 08.12.2022 um 11:45 schrieb Max:

[...]

Yes that is what I have
and I do have the original - paid for -full - version of VAC

73 Paul

Max

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 07:14 PM, w2eck wrote:
Max
Basically the VAC (a dedicated one, separate from any audio stream) should be set in the CW Skimmer settings panel in SDRC and the other end of that VAC should be picked up in CW Skimmer with nothing else in between.

Yes that is what I have
and I do have the original - paid for -full - version of VAC
OK Paul, so I'm afraid I am totally confused because in your description you say this:

"I need some help with the proper choices in VoiceMeeter. Can someone help me with this??"

But two more things. Firstly, Voicemeter (VB-Audio) is suggested as only one of two options in Simon's instructions, and furthermore he says this:

"Note: using the Voicemeter Input / Voicemeter Output combination has not been reliable. The needs further testing."

But you say you have original "VAC", so you therefore have no need to involve Voicemeter in any way at all! Just use Eugene's VAC and set up one VAC to be the virtual cable in the SDCR CW Skimmer settings, and the other end of that cable to be the input to CW Skimmer. Where is Voicemeter involved? Nowhere!

Also to my recollection (as I say I'm not running CW Skimmer at the moment as I get blue screens and my PC takes a long time to reboot) SDRC does not tune CW Skimmer. It's only designed to work the other way around, so you see the signal on CW Skimmer, click it, and SDRC follows.

So my suggestion. Forget VB-Audio/Voicemeter totally and just set up one VAC cable (Eugene's) from SDRC Skimmer settings  and the other end selected as input in CW Skimmer.

And in fact I strongly suggest that you simplify it even more. Drop the external radio off totally until you can get CW Skimmer working with just the RSP SDR? Only then should you add the external radio. The external radio actually has zero to do with getting Skimmer working. Get the RSP set up so that you can (a) see signal in CW Skimmer via VAC output from SDRC and (b) be able to click a signal in CW Skimmer and have SDRC tune it perfectly. Personally I set it up with CW-L as the mode. When I click a signal in CW Skimmer  get a perfectly tuned signal in SDRC. That's what you should aim for first. Only then should you add back the external radio and get that to track via CAT.

Good luck.

Max

w2eck

Sigi & Max
I have CWSkimmer working fine now in conjunction with SDRConsole and the FTDX 10/ RSPDX combination.
In CWSkimmer settings, I am using  for Audio I/O Device. - "VoiceMeeter Input VB Audio", which is the only choice that was available to me.
- Now that it is all working , I do notice some occasional stuttering or pauses in the SDRConsole waterfall.
- And in CWSkimmer Radio - Settings- I had to set the Audio IF to + 1500 to get accurate tuning of SDRC when I clicked on a signal in CWSKimmer.
-Otherwise the instructions in https://www.sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer, were spot on.

Thanks for you jelp and suggestions

73 Paul w2eck

vince battle

I wonder how many people use VoiceMeeter? I always found it a bit confusing to use

Sent from Mail for Windows

Max

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 09:38 PM, w2eck wrote:
I have CWSkimmer working fine now in conjunction with SDRConsole and the FTDX 10/ RSPDX combination.
In CWSkimmer settings, I am using  for Audio I/O Device. - "VoiceMeeter Input VB Audio", which is the only choice that was available to me.
- Now that it is all working , I do notice some occasional stuttering or pauses in the SDRConsole waterfall.
Good to hear that you have it working now Paul. I do find the setup can be confusing but a slow and logical approach usually wins out in the end.

One slight oddity I noticed recently when trying to troubleshoot for the people posting on this group (I don't actually use Skimmer that much myself) was that I sometimes see a very scrambled display on the Skimmer waterfall, and for some reason just making any small adjustment to the zoom of the waterfall on SDRC seems to clear it. After that initial adjustment it then works fine from then on. I can only guess that in some way the IQ signal is affected by the zoom setting of the waterfall. When I can run Skimmer properly again on my updated PC I will take a closer look and see if I can figure out why this happens.

I do find Skimmer is a big resource hog and that probably accounts for the glitching display in SDRC. I daresay it could be improved but I think the author seems to not make updates anymore? Again, for me I hope this will clear with my new motherboard and proc (i9-12900k) when I get to install it at the weekend. I don't think skimmer and SDRC running together enjoy working with a 10 year old PC!

73

Max

w2eck

I may have spoken to soon about having everything working. Today CWSkimmer is acting a bit different then yesterday. Signals are being received just fine when but the tuning via Skimmer is way off. Yesterday with the CWSkimmer- Settings-Audio IF set to 1500hz, the tuning was very accurate. If I clicked on a signal in the Skimmer waterfall, SDRConsole would tune right to it. Today the tuning is off by 3-4 hz. I have tried various Audio IF settings but can't get it to tune accurately. Has anyone seen this problem- an solutions? What would would it to change?
73 Paul w2eck

Max

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 09:14 PM, w2eck wrote:
If I clicked on a signal in the Skimmer waterfall, SDRConsole would tune right to it. Today the tuning is off by 3-4 hz

Don't want to run my Skimmer at the moment for fear of a blue-screen crash so can't check my settings. Do you really mean 3-4 Hz? Would have thought that was undetectable?

My recollection is that with offset zero in skimmer, and SDRC set to CW-L that it zero beats (or close) and so I added the offset I wanted for my preferred audio pitch. For me I think this is about 750 or 800Hz. Have you got the correct mode set on SDRC? Are you doing the tuning from CW Skimmer as I believe is the prescribed modus operandi?

Max

w2eck

Max - a frustrating problem - after finally getting CWSkimmer (CWS) to work with SDRConsole - I can not figure out the tuning between the two. If I tune to a strong signal in SDRConsole, I am able to identify the  the signal  in Skimmer by reading the code. The siganal  is usullay off by from 1to 3 hz ( say 14.054 SDRC to 14.053 in CWS) If I click on the signal in CWS, it moves the signal down 1-2hz the CWS waterfall and tunes SDRC off the signal. The movement down seems to depend on what setting I have in CWS -settings -Audio IF. What is even more frustrating is, I can play with that setting and get the tuning just right and a few minutes later, it's not working again. I have double checked and I haven SDRC is in the right mode. So would love to hear if someone has this tuning issue working perfectly, what your settings are?? BTW- otherwise, CWS is working like a champ, decoding lots of signals, picking out the CQ's etc.
73 Paul w2eck