Topics

CTCSS decoder


Patrick
 

Hi there !

Does SDR Console provide a built-in CTCSS decoder ?
I don't think so, but maybe it's hidden somewhere and needs to be activated.

Thanks a lot.


John (M5ET)
 

Hi Patrick,

 

When you say “CTCSS Decoder”, what do you actually mean?

 

Are you trying to listen to a signal with a CTCSS tone applied? Are you trying to identify which tone has been applied to a signal? Or something else?

 

CTCSS doesn’t ‘encode’ anything, and hence doesn’t need to be ‘decoded’. It’s a single tone, low enough in frequency that it is sub-audible (ie we can’t hear it, but you’ll see it on a waterfall I would imagine), and is used so that people can ignore chatter/interference on the frequency they are using if it doesn’t contain that specific tone.

 

If you can better explain what it is that you are trying to achieve, perhaps we can give a more helpful answer.

 

73,

John (M5ET)

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick
Sent: 04 July 2020 14:13
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CTCSS decoder

 

Hi there !

 

Does SDR Console provide a built-in CTCSS decoder ?

I don't think so, but maybe it's hidden somewhere and needs to be activated.

 

Thanks a lot.

 


Calder Latham
 

How about under Receive DSP. Go down to Squelch.

W1HHO
All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.
On 7/4/2020 09:13, Patrick wrote:

Hi there !

Does SDR Console provide a built-in CTCSS decoder ?
I don't think so, but maybe it's hidden somewhere and needs to be activated.

Thanks a lot.



David L. Wilson
 

CTCSS tone decoders identify the tone either by frequency or designator.  In common language usage,  It does in fact encode the particular designator into the transmission.  No, you will not see it in a waterfall display--the amplitude and frequency is such that you will not see it there.  You can see in an audio program if there is not much other audio.  Also, the higher frequency CTCSS tones, depending on the receiver audio, can be heard.  Your ear, depending on your hearing and age, can hear as low as 20 Hz if the amplitude is enough and hearing the tone above 200 Hz on many radios is easy and is why those higher frequency tones are often not used..


jdow
 

CTCSS encodes about 4 bits in its wide tone selection range. So, yes, it is a "code" that needs "encoding" and "decoding."

{^_-}

On 20200704 16:03:39, David L. Wilson via groups.io wrote:
CTCSS tone decoders identify the tone either by frequency or designator.  In common language usage,  It does in fact encode the particular designator into the transmission.  No, you will not see it in a waterfall display--the amplitude and frequency is such that you will not see it there.  You can see in an audio program if there is not much other audio.  Also, the higher frequency CTCSS tones, depending on the receiver audio, can be heard.  Your ear, depending on your hearing and age, can hear as low as 20 Hz if the amplitude is enough and hearing the tone above 200 Hz on many radios is easy and is why those higher frequency tones are often not used..


Patrick
 

I John !

In SDR#, there's a CTCSS plugin that shows the value used for a given communication.
On some frequencies, different TCS are used. By knowing their values, it is possible to determine who is the transmitter (or the transmitting site) without even listening to the conversation. It can be very useful when several TX sites are transmitting on the same frequency.


Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU
 

Back to the OP question, YES!
As Cal says, at the very bottom of the DSP panel are the two squelchs (FM, and AM/SSB).
CTCSS is right under the FM squelch:



73 Kriss KA1GJU


Patrick
 

Hi Kriss,

Thanks, but this is not what I'm looking for.

There's indeed a CTCSS tool but it does not automatically indicate the tone of the received station (like SDR# does). The user has to select among the listed tones the one he wants to lock.

I'd like it to be displayed automatically when a TCS is received. See screenshot.


Don Melcher
 

I’d like it to “read” 2 and 5 tone sequential as well. In widespread use in fire fighting and other emergency services call-out systems.   


Calder Latham
 

I do not believe that option is available on SDRConsole.

Cal...W1HHO
All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.
On 7/5/2020 10:31, Patrick wrote:

Hi Kriss,

Thanks, but this is not what I'm looking for.

There's indeed a CTCSS tool but it does not automatically indicate the tone of the received station (like SDR# does). The user has to select among the listed tones the one he wants to lock.

I'd like it to be displayed automatically when a TCS is received. See screenshot.


Bob Dengler
 

At 7/5/2020 07:31 AM, you wrote:
Hi Kriss,
Thanks, but this is not what I'm looking for.
There's indeed a CTCSS tool but it does not automatically indicate the tone of the received station (like SDR# does). The user has to select among the listed tones the one he wants to lock.
I'd like it to be displayed automatically when a TCS is received. See screenshot.
KG-Tone: <http://www2.plala.or.jp/hikokibiyori/soft/kgtone/index.html>. Use a virtual audio cable to route SDRC output to KG-Tone. KG-Tone will also provide noise squelch, de-emphasize & filter the audio. So use WFM to disable SDRC's de-emphasis, & disable squelch.

Bob NO6B


David L. Wilson
 

Take a look at
https://comtekk.com/multi-decoder.htmhttps://comtekk.com/multi-decoder.htm
Use VBcable or VAC to feed it.
--
David L. Wilson


Patrick
 

Hi David,

Error 404, seems the link is broken. Thanks though.
I will have a look at KG-Tone another member mentionned (sorry I forgot your name)

Thanks guys !


Alan
 

Patrick,

Error 404, seems the link is broken.
Not completely broken, there is a link on that page to the software although I fancy it is not free.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


David L. Wilson
 

I see the problem in my link...it was in the link twice back to back.
Try https://comtekk.com/multi-decoder.htm
You are correct, it is not free and runs in $50-$100 range but was the best I could find when I searched for similar and I use it.
--
David L. Wilson


Simon Brown
 

Hi,

One thing I could do is to display the CTCSS frequency when receiving in NFM. This is not an exact science but it's close. I actually have this value inside the DSP but don't display it anywhere.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
https://www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David L. Wilson via groups.io
Sent: 06 July 2020 14:31
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CTCSS decoder

I see the problem in my link...it was in the link twice back to back.
Try https://comtekk.com/multi-decoder.htm
You are correct, it is not free and runs in $50-$100 range but was the best I could find when I searched for similar and I use it.
--
David L. Wilson


Radio Guy
 

If CTCSS is possible then DCS would be useful too.


On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 2:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
Hi,

One thing I could do is to display the CTCSS frequency when receiving in NFM. This is not an exact science but it's close. I actually have this value inside the DSP but don't display it anywhere.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
https://www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David L. Wilson via groups.io
Sent: 06 July 2020 14:31
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CTCSS decoder

I see the problem in my link...it was in the link twice back to back.
Try https://comtekk.com/multi-decoder.htm
You are correct, it is not free and runs in $50-$100 range but was the best I could find when I searched for similar and I use it.
--
David L. Wilson










--

-----------
Ken