Topics

CPU increase when IF Display and receiver pane are open

Mark

Hi Folks

I have just noticed that my CPU usage will max out if I kept tuning up or down the band if I have either or both the IF display or receiver pane open.  When I stop tuning the CPU usage drops back down to normal then with a spin of the mouse wheel it can hit high numbers fast.

This happens with both the Airspy HF+ Discovery and SDRPlay RSP Duo

When these windows are closed the CPU usage is about 0.4% and barely moves even under load

Its not PC spec as im running a AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Samsung EVO SSD, 32gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 1660 Super 6gb . The video recorder in SDR Console is barely noticed in CPU usage.

Just wondering if its some kind of bug ?

Cheers Mark GM1004SWL

No, this isn’t a bug. As you move around the spectrum and the waterfall area is redrawn I have to recompute a lot of data, I do this using OMP (multiple processors) or in other words I distribute the workload over the threads on your CPU.

  • The data is held in a cache, this is why I actually cache and you see this in the memory size of the program.
  • The data I cache is the FFT output.
  • This has to be rescaled, smoothed, made ‘pretty’.
  • There’s often many megabytes of data being run in quite close to ‘real time’.
  • Some programs will show a ‘staggered’ waterfall display as you tune around, something I don’t like too much.

All-in-all, you’ve got the CPU grunt so let’s use it. Same approach with computer games.

I have just noticed that my CPU usage will max out if I kept tuning up or down the band if I have either or both the IF display or receiver pane open.  When I stop tuning the CPU usage drops back down to normal then with a spin of the mouse wheel it can hit high numbers fast.

This happens with both the Airspy HF+ Discovery and SDRPlay RSP Duo

When these windows are closed the CPU usage is about 0.4% and barely moves even under load

Its not PC spec as im running a AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Samsung EVO SSD, 32gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 1660 Super 6gb . The video recorder in SDR Console is barely noticed in CPU usage.

Just wondering if its some kind of bug ?

Cheers Mark GM1004SWL

Mark

Hi Simon

Thanks for the explanation on how it all works, indeed it certainly is pretty !

I dont like the staggered waterfall when tuning either.  SDR console is my go to software these days reading CW off the screen is effortless.

I run with a 28" 4k monitor the detail is amazing that might be pushing the CPU also

Cheers Mark

My Station monitor is a 27” 4k Dell, it really is superb. I’ve spent a lot of time & mental effort getting this display this good so am glad you like it. Were we to sit down I could show you the amount of processing required to smoothly scroll the display, you’d be amazed.

Annoyingly I’ve damaged a 32” 4k AOC IPS monitor by pressing too hard while cleaning the screen, so am going to buy another 4k sometime this year.

I’ve see SDR Console running on a 8k monitor, that’s really superb but of course total overkill.