Continuum mode

Nick Hall-Patch

That would be my understanding also, and easy to test in SpectraVue.

I've just played back a NetSDR file in Continuum mode, 1300kHz span of the MW band, using 2048 point FFT and 2097152 point FFTs.

Except that the 2048 point playback zips by very quickly (unsurprisingly), it jitters around -32 dBm, while the 2097152 point playback is more sedate in speed, and with very little change in the -32 dBm value, again unsurprisingly.

The "jitter" is presumably real, as the power level of individual signals in the night-time MW band is constantly changing.

If the commenting in SpectraVue's code is anything like what was in Moe's SDR14xApp, and CuteSDR,  he probably tells you what he's doing right there.   Finding it might be another thing.

Nick

At 13:18 2022-03-17, Tony_AD0VC wrote:

I wouldn't think that the RBW matters for this. Just sum all X bins. If RBW is smaller then X will be bigger and there will be less power in each bin. Sum of the bins will be the same for a given total bandwidth.
Tony

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Simon Brown <simon@...> Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2022 4:45 AM To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Typo.

Given:
  • Center frequency & bandwidth with have a count of FFT bins = X (values in dBm)
  • Resolution bandwidth = Y Hz

What’s the formula for the actual continuum value when these X bins are used?

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown Sent: 17 March 2022 10:39 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

So,

Given:
  • Center frequency & bandwidth è Count of FFT bins = X (values in dBm)

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Conrad, PA5Y Sent: 17 March 2022 09:49 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Hello Simon, I really appreciate you adding this feature. I do have SpectraVue and an SDR-IP and in the past like Charles I used SDRC with Perseus and the IQ outputs as inputs for SpectraVue. Very cumbersome!

Let’s get it working and then I have some other ideas.

This will be really useful.

Conrad PA5Y

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io Sent: 15 March 2022 06:42 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

That’s fine. I can get almost all work done, then there’s fine tuning. I think a docking window like the Signal History is the correct solution.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of sm6fhz Sent: 14 March 2022 21:48 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Hi. Here is an early message (May 2014) with an tentative short-spec for the Continuum Mode: https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/23048 73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

Simon Brown

Hi Nick,

I’ll ask Moe.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io Sent: 15 March 2022 06:42 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of sm6fhz Sent: 14 March 2022 21:48 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Hi. Here is an early message (May 2014) with an tentative short-spec for the Continuum Mode: https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/23048 73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

So,

Spoke with Moe, I now know all I must do when I restart programming.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io Sent: 15 March 2022 06:42 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of sm6fhz Sent: 14 March 2022 21:48 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Hi. Here is an early message (May 2014) with an tentative short-spec for the Continuum Mode: https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/23048 73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

Nick Hall-Patch

Great news, Simon, and glad that Moe was able to help.  He must have a better memory, or more organized files than I ever had.

It would be wonderful if you could document the algorithm that you will use for your realization of the continuum function, even in the most basic fashion, for those who are curious about what goes on behind the curtain.

Nick

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon BrownSent: 17 March 2022 16:07To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.ioSubject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

Hi Nick,

I’ll ask Moe.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Nick Hall-Patch via groups.ioSent: 17 March 2022 16:05To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io; main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > on behalf of Simon Brown <simon@...> Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2022 4:45 AM To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode  Typo. Given:
 What’s the formula for the actual continuum value when these X bins are used? Simon Brown, G4ELIhttps://www.sdr-radio.com  From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Simon Brown Sent: 17 March 2022 10:39 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode So, Given:
 What’s the formula for the actual continuum value when these X bins are used? Simon Brown, G4ELIhttps://www.sdr-radio.com  From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Conrad, PA5Y Sent: 17 March 2022 09:49 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode Hello Simon, I really appreciate you adding this feature. I do have SpectraVue and an SDR-IP and in the past like Charles I used SDRC with Perseus and the IQ outputs as inputs for SpectraVue. Very cumbersome!  Let’s get it working and then I have some other ideas. This will be really useful. 73 Conrad PA5Y From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io Sent: 15 March 2022 06:42 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode Hi, That’s fine. I can get almost all work done, then there’s fine tuning. I think a docking window like the Signal History is the correct solution. Simon Brown, G4ELIhttps://www.sdr-radio.com  From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io > On Behalf Of sm6fhz Sent: 14 March 2022 21:48 To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode Hi. Here is an early message (May 2014) with an tentative short-spec for the Continuum Mode: https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/23048 73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ -- - + - + -Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.-- - + - + -Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.-- - + - + -Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Nick Hall-PatchVictoria, BCCanada

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

sm6fhz

Hi.

I took the liberty to collect the specification points we have been throwing around here in this thread for a week or so, in one bulleted list.
I hope it makes it easier to have all of them in one place.
I also added a few new ones that I came to think about at the end.

  • The function should be in an separate, dockable, window as most other function in SDR Console are
  • The function should be possible to run in parallel with the regular spectrum and waterfall displays
  • The function shall measure and display the total power in an defined band width e.g. the full sampled band width as a function of time. The band width could be possible to set to a more narrow value, if possible to implement.
    • The time scale (number of samples per second) shall be possible to set from "real time" to monitoring the sky pass an antenna beam over several hours (24?)
  • It should be possible to set the post detection integration time (smoothing)
  • The vertical scale (level) should be possible to adjust from 0.05 dB per division to say 10 dB per division
  • The horizontal scale (time) could run left to right or right to left to your preference (optional)
  • It shall be possible to save the data to file (.csv) if you like, for post processing in Matlab or Excel
  • Possibility to set a smaller BW for the measurement than the sampled BW and to set where this BW shall be in frequency (within the sampled range).
  • The cursor (when moved into the plot) to show the actual indicated value at its position in the graph. Where it shall show can be discussed, but close to the cursor would be one possibility. There are probably many alternatives where to show the number.
  • Include a "Screenshot" camera in the window, if possible. It would be a practical feature.
  • Some kind of "Time markers" in the graph, similar to the ones in SDRC waterfall.

We have probably missed a few anyway, but the better specified it is from the start the less work, and rework, it will create.
Save on time and effort. The programmer needs to get a lesser work load :-)

When a Beta is available I am ready to and more than happy to start making tests.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Siegfried Jackstien

If sampled with 2. 688 in pluto also downscale to anything smaller
Be it 500 kc (transponder bw)
Down to 1hz (or calculated /referenced down to that fine resolution)
Could be very useful to measure channel power etc

Am 19.03.2022 20:24 schrieb sm6fhz <ingolf.fhz@...>:

[...]

And,

For now I’ll use the FFT data for the waterfall as the rate and overlap and windowing is user-configurable. There are slight corrections that should be made for the Windowing (Hann, Hamming etc.).

Also the option to discard the highest / lowest x% of FFT bins.

[...]

with the

option to discard the highest / lowest x% of FFT bins.

do you mean staying within the useable bandwidth?

For example, a 2MHz sampling rate for a NetSDR will allow display of an  FFT of only 1.6MHz bandwidth in SpectraVue, because the top and bottom 200kHz roll off in amplitude from their true values.

SDR Console allows viewing of the full 2MHz in that case (if I remember correctly), so a continuum power derived from the full 2MHz would be inaccurate.    Thank you for catching that.

Nick

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of sm6fhzSent: 19 March 2022 19:25To: main@...: Re: [SDR-Radio] Continuum mode

[...]

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#66125) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com for all:

* bug reports
* questions.

This is the unofficial support for SDR-Radio.com software.

RSS feed is https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/app.php/feed

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada