Topics

Continuing problem with VB-Audio

Max

Try as I might, I still cannot seem to get VB-Audio working with SDR Radio V3 (latest build, or any previous build).

I just ran the DirectX Diagnostics from within SDR Console and I get this message in the Sound tab for VB-Audio:

The file vbaudio_cable64_win7.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Could this be a clue as to why it is not working? Is this just a warning or does it mean my PC is blocking the driver from running? If so, anyone know what might  fix it?

Windows is latest version, Win 10 64 Bit all updates applied.

Just for info I have tried uninstall, delete all VB-Audio registry entries and a complete reboot and reinstall VB-Audio three times now and no change.

Any tips gratefully received.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

i have vb cable installed and it works fine (exactly cable a and b installed)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 01.09.2019 um 18:16 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

[...]

Thank you Siegfried. Yes, aware most others have no issues. I assume it is possibly related to this driver issue which seems to be a problem with my particular PC. Just wondered if the wise folk on here will understand the error message and what might be done to solve it, if indeed that is the issue?

Max

MadMike

Hi Max,

Search Google for 'Windows requires a digitally signed driver' - there are many posts there telling you how to disable this  requirement.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I had no such trouble, BUT, you do have to install as Administrator (VBAudio). Perhaps you missed that.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 5:26 PM MadMike <virtualtrains@...> wrote:
Hi Max,

Search Google for 'Windows requires a digitally signed driver' - there are many posts there telling you how to disable this  requirement.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

M0ZEH

Try installing the 16 bit version .

M0ZEH

I meant 32 bit.

Max

Mike. Yes, I think I have seen that but what I am no sure about is if when receiving this message it means the driver is definitely disabled? I don't seem to have been able to find an answer to that? But will do a search and try disabling the requirement and see how that goes. My daughter also has a laptop where I know VB Audio is definitely working, so will compare with that.

Hasan. Yes, it does not allow installation of the drivers at all unless as Administrator, so no issue there.

M0ZEH. Yes, I guess I could try that. As I have Win10 64bit I am not hopeful, but willing to give it a go! Will report back

Max

Max

Just an update on my VB-Audio issue with SDR Console.

I finally had time to investigate this thoroughly. I discovered something interesting through an obscure forum post. For either VB-Audio or VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) to work, the "mic" input on windows must be fully functional. By this I mean that if you have "Mic Privacy" turned on in Windows (i.e. mic is effectively disabled), or if you have the mic disabled as a source, neither of these virtual audio programs will function. I just never made that connection because coming from a broadcasting background, a mic input is a mic input, not a "line" input, but there you are. This is actually mentioned in the VAC help files, but not the VB-Audio docs as far as I could see.

So, with this problem solved, I now started testing again. Sadly the bad news is that for me at least, I just cannot get VB-Audio to work with SDR Console. What is very odd is that I can get it working perfectly normally with all other software on my PC, so via VB-Audio I can pipe clean isolated audio from YouTube, for example, to Audacity and make a clean recording, all perfectly as expected.

What is strange is that VAC works perfectly OK with SDR Console, so on my PC at least there is something about SDR Console that VB-Audio does not like, but VAC is happy with. Re: my previous post on this thread, it seems the "unsigned driver" for VB-Audio is a red herring. Installed VB-Audio on my daughter's laptop, and it works fine on there with no issue, but DXDiag on her laptop still flags the driver as unsigned, so seems that is nothing to do with it functioning at all. Both PCs running fully updated Win10.

Simon, I hope you might have time to take a quick look at log file with VB-Audio selected at startup. Who knows, may reveal something to you that I am missing if you get time to look? Log file and screengrab attached.

Thanks for looking.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

must be your hardware

here it works ... using vb cable a and b ... and it worked on the other pc of your daughter... not??.

maybe try to update your sound drivers?? windows does not do it for you ...

what soundchip are you using ?? onboard realtek?? or??

dg9bfc sigi

Am 10.09.2019 um 15:52 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

[...]

Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?

For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

hmmm we had some user reporting other audio problems (stuttering in tx with a pluto) that was solved with a driver update ... and as far as i remember that also was a realtek driver/chipset

install newest driver from realtek is worth a try (windows DOES IT NOT FOR YOU!!!)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 10.09.2019 um 16:43 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

Siegfried

Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?

For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.

Max

jdow

Make damn sure the Realtek driver is up to date. There are reported problems with it that were solved with an update.
{^_^}

On 20190910 09:43:21, Max via Groups.Io wrote:
Siegfried
Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?
For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.
Max

Max

Doing that now. I thought I had latest driver from ASUS but I see there is one more update since then from Realtek themselves so will install and report back.

Max

Audio drivers updated to the latest native drivers downloaded from Realtek. No change, exactly as before. VAC works fine, VB-Audio no output from SDR Console, but works fine with all other programs.

Any chance you could take a look at the log file please Simon?

With thanks

Max