Topics

Continuing problem with VB-Audio

Max

Try as I might, I still cannot seem to get VB-Audio working with SDR Radio V3 (latest build, or any previous build).

I just ran the DirectX Diagnostics from within SDR Console and I get this message in the Sound tab for VB-Audio:

The file vbaudio_cable64_win7.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Could this be a clue as to why it is not working? Is this just a warning or does it mean my PC is blocking the driver from running? If so, anyone know what might  fix it?

Windows is latest version, Win 10 64 Bit all updates applied.

Just for info I have tried uninstall, delete all VB-Audio registry entries and a complete reboot and reinstall VB-Audio three times now and no change.

Any tips gratefully received.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

i have vb cable installed and it works fine (exactly cable a and b installed)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 01.09.2019 um 18:16 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

[...]

Thank you Siegfried. Yes, aware most others have no issues. I assume it is possibly related to this driver issue which seems to be a problem with my particular PC. Just wondered if the wise folk on here will understand the error message and what might be done to solve it, if indeed that is the issue?

Max

MadMike

Hi Max,

Search Google for 'Windows requires a digitally signed driver' - there are many posts there telling you how to disable this  requirement.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I had no such trouble, BUT, you do have to install as Administrator (VBAudio). Perhaps you missed that.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 5:26 PM MadMike <virtualtrains@...> wrote:
Hi Max,

Search Google for 'Windows requires a digitally signed driver' - there are many posts there telling you how to disable this  requirement.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

M0ZEH

Try installing the 16 bit version .

M0ZEH

I meant 32 bit.

Max

Mike. Yes, I think I have seen that but what I am no sure about is if when receiving this message it means the driver is definitely disabled? I don't seem to have been able to find an answer to that? But will do a search and try disabling the requirement and see how that goes. My daughter also has a laptop where I know VB Audio is definitely working, so will compare with that.

Hasan. Yes, it does not allow installation of the drivers at all unless as Administrator, so no issue there.

M0ZEH. Yes, I guess I could try that. As I have Win10 64bit I am not hopeful, but willing to give it a go! Will report back

Max

Max

Just an update on my VB-Audio issue with SDR Console.

I finally had time to investigate this thoroughly. I discovered something interesting through an obscure forum post. For either VB-Audio or VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) to work, the "mic" input on windows must be fully functional. By this I mean that if you have "Mic Privacy" turned on in Windows (i.e. mic is effectively disabled), or if you have the mic disabled as a source, neither of these virtual audio programs will function. I just never made that connection because coming from a broadcasting background, a mic input is a mic input, not a "line" input, but there you are. This is actually mentioned in the VAC help files, but not the VB-Audio docs as far as I could see.

So, with this problem solved, I now started testing again. Sadly the bad news is that for me at least, I just cannot get VB-Audio to work with SDR Console. What is very odd is that I can get it working perfectly normally with all other software on my PC, so via VB-Audio I can pipe clean isolated audio from YouTube, for example, to Audacity and make a clean recording, all perfectly as expected.

What is strange is that VAC works perfectly OK with SDR Console, so on my PC at least there is something about SDR Console that VB-Audio does not like, but VAC is happy with. Re: my previous post on this thread, it seems the "unsigned driver" for VB-Audio is a red herring. Installed VB-Audio on my daughter's laptop, and it works fine on there with no issue, but DXDiag on her laptop still flags the driver as unsigned, so seems that is nothing to do with it functioning at all. Both PCs running fully updated Win10.

Simon, I hope you might have time to take a quick look at log file with VB-Audio selected at startup. Who knows, may reveal something to you that I am missing if you get time to look? Log file and screengrab attached.

Thanks for looking.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

must be your hardware

here it works ... using vb cable a and b ... and it worked on the other pc of your daughter... not??.

maybe try to update your sound drivers?? windows does not do it for you ...

what soundchip are you using ?? onboard realtek?? or??

dg9bfc sigi

Am 10.09.2019 um 15:52 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

[...]

Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?

For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

hmmm we had some user reporting other audio problems (stuttering in tx with a pluto) that was solved with a driver update ... and as far as i remember that also was a realtek driver/chipset

install newest driver from realtek is worth a try (windows DOES IT NOT FOR YOU!!!)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 10.09.2019 um 16:43 schrieb Max via Groups.Io:

Siegfried

Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?

For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.

Max

jdow

Make damn sure the Realtek driver is up to date. There are reported problems with it that were solved with an update.
{^_^}

On 20190910 09:43:21, Max via Groups.Io wrote:
Siegfried
Thanks for input, but as I said, works fine on all other progs, which I would have thought rules out the hardware, would it not? Why only SDR Console?
For info, it's Realtek High Definition onboard audio, Asus motherboard.
Max

Max

Doing that now. I thought I had latest driver from ASUS but I see there is one more update since then from Realtek themselves so will install and report back.

Max

Audio drivers updated to the latest native drivers downloaded from Realtek. No change, exactly as before. VAC works fine, VB-Audio no output from SDR Console, but works fine with all other programs.

Any chance you could take a look at the log file please Simon?

With thanks

Max

Max

Hi Simon.

You are very busy I know but if you get a spare couple of minutes is there any chance you could take a quick look at the log file I attached to #49835 in this thread on Sept 10 to see if you can see anything obviously wrong with VB-Audio within SDR Console? As mentioned, VB-Audio works fine with all other applications I have tried, just can't get any output with SDR Console. Latest version, or previous builds.

When I look at Audio Devices in Win 10 the output from SDR Console never even seems to reach the VB-Audio Input (does not show any audio on the "meter"). Audio output from any other app (Spotify for example) pumps the "Audio Devices" monitoring meter fine on the VB-Audio cable input, and can be heard at VB-Audio "Output" by selecting "Listen to this device" checkbox. Not so with SDR Console. Very strange.....

A quick look at the log would be much appreciated.

73

Max

jdow

I took a quick look at it. There is nothing wrong that I can see. It sees and opens the VB "output" port. But that is the log suggesting the "wrong end" and may mean SDR-C output is connecting to the VB cable input shown in the GUI.

You can look at the Volume Mixed. What does it say for the VB cable's level setting? If that is zero, for some reason, that could explain your problem. You should also be able to see a green color bar starting at the bottom of the SDR-C application's entry in the mixer list. That may help you figure out how far the audio is getting. But as far as SDR-C is concerned it looks like it is happy making the audio connection.

Did you trim the log by any chance? I presume you have checked with a speaker output and that is working.

{^_^}

On 20190919 01:50:38, Max via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Daniel Post

Max,

same here, I checked the log file, and there is nothing unusual in it. I also compared it with my local SDR console using VB-Audio VoiceMeeter's virtual input, which is basically the same as the single VBCable that you're using. After setting my internal sample rate to 48 kHz, my log looks almost identical to yours, except for some minor parameters like buffer size.

What you can do is open this folder in Windows explorer:
C:\Program Files\VB\CABLE
(The folder name "CABLE" might be different depending on your platform and the number of installed virtual cables. I have four virtual IOs, so there are four different folders under "VB".).

From the CABLE folder, run "VBCABLE_ControlPanel.exe". This will show you if there is any input on the VBCable side.

Max

Hi jdow and Daniel. Thank you for taking an interest. It is much appreciated.

jdow, no I did not trim the log, but did simply start it purely for purpose of generating the log hence probably why so short, but yes, works fine on speaker output and always has done. The weird bit is how it works perfectly for all apps except SDR Console....

Daniel, regarding the VB-Audio control panel (a good shout)....... here are two screen grabs. One shows the VB-Cable contol panel, SDR-Console output selected to VB-Audio input (and confirmed on Win sound device mixer), SDR receiving a good signal from Radio 5 Live, plenty of audio, and can be clearly heard with speaker selected, but when SDR Console selected to VB-Audio cable input as you can see on VB-Audio control panel, 0% audio on Input Channels 1 & 2.

Then exactly the same setup for for Spotify, where on VB-Audio control panel you can clearly see the audio reaching the input channels 1 & 2 on VB-Audio at a good level.

So looks like for some unknown reason the audio from SDR Console never reaches the VB-Audio input, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for looking!

jdow

Just for the record if you can get the speaker icon into the system tray you can right click on it and get a much more useful Volume Mixer display. Ah, you can get it using the start button. Press it and type "sndvol.exe". It gives a better view of what is going on. And "EEEEK", the asshat Volume Mixer can get programs all screwed up. It uprooted a program's direction to a secondary USB audio device and threw it onto the motherboard's RealTek digital output, which I do not use. Take a copy of that tool onto a floppy disk or CDROM. Then expunge it from your system with arcane mystical incantations. Wrap the floppy disk in 7, exactly 7, alternating layers of paraffin (US style wax) and lead foil. Go to a deserted crossroads at midnight with a full moon overhead. Dig a six foot deep posthole big enough for your packaged disk. At precisely midnight drive a fire hardened oaken stake through the package and the disk inside. Throw it all into the hole and quickly back fill the hole and get out of their quickly lest it still manages to escape.

{O.O}

On 20190919 08:35:20, Max via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]
Capture - SDR.JPG
Capture - Spotify.JPG