Topics

CONSOLE On A Mac, Sorta

rmrrgs

Hi,

So nice to finally Post something that hopefully might be useful to the Group, rather
than another question or problem I am having.

So-

Came across a free (for personal use) program called Team Viewer.
Really neat.  Can't imagine how they do it so well.

I have two monitors on my desk at home.
An iMac which the family uses for most everything, and also the monitor from
a W10 pc off to the side and at an angle.  This one is dedicated to all of my
radio programs, etc.
Usable at the angle, but not all that pleasant.

What Team Viewer does is to "mirror" everything from the W10 pc screen to the Mac screen.
Everything.
You wouldn't know the program wasn't on the Mac.
Works really well, no discernible lag, and smooth.

And, from the mac, you can control with the keyboard and Mouse everything you could
do on the W10 pc where the program actually resides.  I can't tell the difference.

Program was formulated apparently for folks who want to control, e.g. a computer at work from their home pc.
Works pc to pc, Mac tto pc, any combo.

Passwords need to be set up for both computers, but it's easy and quick.

I'm a "basic" user of Console, so this hasn't been evaluated for everything within Console.
Don't know if there might be any hang ups with Servers, etc.
But, from what I can see and do now, it seems to work "perfectly".

Hope this is useful for someone.

Bob

dwight_talley

Yes a lot of people use Team viewer for that. However if you are running Windows 10 Pro, you have that built in with Microsoft Remote Desktop. There is also a Mac version of Microsoft Remote Desktop. I run my several windows systems in my observatory from my dual monitor mac in the office with Microsoft Remote Desktop. All free.

Dwight

Kriss Kliegle

  Team Viewer will work fine for now... but eventually the Team Viewer folks 'think' you are using it commercially. Then they will limit you to only a few minutes of connect time. Then they set a time limit as to when you can connect again. Right now, the machine I'm typing this on, will only connect to my remote servers for a few minutes then get kicked off. I've written them to no avail. They want money!
For the things I need to do, such as update SDRC, trouble shoot etc, it's OK with having only a few minutes. It's like a race to see if I can get all the work done in the allotted time.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Jim Smith G0OFE

AnyDesk is a good alternative and thats what I currently use.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 06/11/2019 11:51, Kriss Kliegle wrote:
  Team Viewer will work fine for now... but eventually the Team Viewer folks 'think' you are using it commercially. Then they will limit you to only a few minutes of connect time. Then they set a time limit as to when you can connect again. Right now, the machine I'm typing this on, will only connect to my remote servers for a few minutes then get kicked off. I've written them to no avail. They want money!
For the things I need to do, such as update SDRC, trouble shoot etc, it's OK with having only a few minutes. It's like a race to see if I can get all the work done in the allotted time.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Barry Jablonski

Hi Jim,

I can also recommend AnyDesk as a good alternative to TeamViewer.  TeamViewer has incorrectly flagged most of my machines as commercial.

Barry
WB2ZXJ