Topics

Connected radio tuning problem

Richard Ebbs

Hi,
I've set up my TS-480 to SDR-Console v3 via HRD/Omnirig, it's all working fine. The radio tracks the software etc.
I'm using an RTL v3 dongle and it's working fine too.
The problem is, that when I click on the signal in the software, it jumps to that signal, you hear that signal through SDR-Console audio, then the radio jumps about 5kHz too far. You briefly hear the signal I've clicked on, but then the radio tunes too high! I'm in IF Mode (1st IF =73.095MHz).
I did have to apply a 195PPM adjustment to match the RTL frequency with the Radio displayed frequency.
Am I doing it right, you click on a signal, and the radio tunes to it?
Any ideas?
de Richard G0MIE

Siegfried Jackstien

maybe you need a different ppm correction PLUS setting if frequency a bit different

set if 5 kc higher or lower and correct then the ppm value that you are backin sync (try out in what direction)

so in principle your setup works ... but is not finetuned correct

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 05.04.2021 um 09:53 schrieb Richard Ebbs:

Hi,
I've set up my TS-480 to SDR-Console v3 via HRD/Omnirig, it's all working fine. The radio tracks the software etc.
I'm using an RTL v3 dongle and it's working fine too.
The problem is, that when I click on the signal in the software, it jumps to that signal, you hear that signal through SDR-Console audio, then the radio jumps about 5kHz too far. You briefly hear the signal I've clicked on, but then the radio tunes too high! I'm in IF Mode (1st IF =73.095MHz).
I did have to apply a 195PPM adjustment to match the RTL frequency with the Radio displayed frequency.
Am I doing it right, you click on a signal, and the radio tunes to it?
Any ideas?
de Richard G0MIE

jdow

I see lots of problems here likely due to not understanding the system you have created. You have at least two different oscillators that may not be where you think they are. You must break it out and solve each one individually.

First disconnect from the radio and calibrate the rtlsdr dongle itself. Set the ppm offset to zero. If this is a recent dongle, when you tune to a known frequency it should be relatively close. Do not bother to try to adjust the ppm setting. The dongle is more accurate than most sources you can find. If it is a very old dongle with potentially big offsets then kalibrate-rtl is needed. This link has a description for using it and a windows version of kalibrate-rtl. One the calibration value is known it can be entered into sdr-radio and you are half way there. (Of course, if you have an old rtl dongle then figure you are calibrated now but not 10 minutes from now. Those old ones drift with temperature.)

Next you have to calibrate your TS-480. You should be able to tune into WWV and have the frequency reading accurate. Use two different frequencies. BOTH should be spot on. If they are not there are two oscillators in the TS-480 to tune correctly if you can get to both. The radio's service manual should describe how to do this. If you cannot get one then tune as well as you can with equal errors on the same side of two different WWV frequencies.

With the TS-480 setup now you have to figure out the real IF frequency to which you are tapped. Use that as a start for the conversion offset. Adjust the conversion offset until you get a match. It'll drift some. ALL relatively cheap oscillators drift to varying degree with temperature. As a general rule they will drift differently. So there is nothing to fix it. And be aware that the rtl dongle's ppm setting is 70 Hz steps at 70 MHz, So getting 1 Hz level agreement is out of the question. Use SDR-Radio as a pan-adapter. Leave the QSO reception to the TS-480.

{^_^}

On 20210405 02:53:16, Richard Ebbs wrote:
Hi,
I've set up my TS-480 to SDR-Console v3 via HRD/Omnirig, it's all working fine. The radio tracks the software etc.
I'm using an RTL v3 dongle and it's working fine too.
The problem is, that when I click on the signal in the software, it jumps to that signal, you hear that signal through SDR-Console audio, then the radio jumps about 5kHz too far. You briefly hear the signal I've clicked on, but then the radio tunes too high! I'm in IF Mode (1st IF =73.095MHz).
I did have to apply a 195PPM adjustment to match the RTL frequency with the Radio displayed frequency.
Am I doing it right, you click on a signal, and the radio tunes to it?
Any ideas?
de Richard G0MIE

jdow

If he has a modern rtlsdr dongle don't bother to adjust ppm. For "barely adquate" accuracy adjust the conversion offset and eat the errors at other frequencies. If he can make it work across the TS-480 tuning range on SSB he'll be exceptionally lucky. Use SDRC as a panadapter and leave the signal reeption to the TS-480.

{^_^}

On 20210405 07:55:04, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

Hi Guys
The RTL is v3 and new, so it's probably ok (I have another DVB one, I might try that first). I can't hear any WWV signals at the moment as I have s7 of noise above 7 MHz! But I'll check the RTL first.
The TS-480 has a TCXO and tunes exactly on any WWV.
I was hoping to use SDRC as a panadapter at first, but found the RTL + 1st IF RX through SDRC better! I may be getting some sort of noise after the 1st IF in the actual radio, will have to investigate.
Looks like I may have to play around with the IF frequency setting to calibrate the system...all good fun though!

Thanks for your input guys.

Richard G0MIE

Richard Ebbs

Fixed this after a while.
Nothing wrong with the RTL dongle, I checked it against WWV 10MHz, only 18ppm out.
I did notice though, that when I tuned up in frequency on the radio, the SDR tuned down and vice-versa.
In the Definitions and Select Radio options, there is an 'invert spectrum' check box. I ticked both and now the radio/SDRC tuning is spot on.

Hope this may help others trying to use the 1st IF tuning option.

de Richard G0MIE