Can an RTL dongle be made to show correct frequency in the console on QO-100??

Chris Wilson

I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

Siegfried Jackstien

in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to display)

now tune to 10.489 g

done

dg9bfc sigi

ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base setup running

Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:

I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

Chris Wilson

Hello Siegfried,

Monday, April 12, 2021

OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting the console with the new definition applied (and I had already enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ> display)

SJ> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ> done

SJ> dg9bfc sigi

SJ> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ> setup running

SJ> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:
I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

Siegfried Jackstien

yes ... when you add the converter you can receive the sat band twice ... on the if (740 megs) and on the "real" frequency (10,489 ghz)

when console does the math and the result is negative (you tuned to 740) then the converter offset is not used

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Hello Siegfried,

Monday, April 12, 2021

Monday, April 12, 2021

Gotcha, I see now, thanks Sigi!

Monday, April 12, 2021
OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting the console with the new definition applied (and I had already enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter
SJ> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ> display)
SJ> now tune to 10.489 g
SJ> done
SJ> dg9bfc sigi
SJ> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ> setup running
SJ> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:
I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

jdow

Study how a superheterodyne radio works. Then you can probably answer your own question and figure out why

{o.o}.

Hello Siegfried,

 Monday, April 12, 2021

 OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting the console with the new definition applied (and I had already enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

Best regards,
 Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

SJ> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ> display)

SJ> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ> done

SJ> dg9bfc sigi

SJ> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ> setup running

SJ> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:
I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and  testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

paul newcombe <G6YZC@...>

 Chris    2E0ILY
I have enjoyed following your thread with Sigi on this subject.
Please feel free to ignore James Hunt and ask other questions as they come up.
It is how we all learn.

Paul N2EME

 Monday, April 12, 2021

 OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting the console with the new definition applied (and I had already enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

Best regards,
 Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

SJ> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ> display)

SJ> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ> done

SJ> dg9bfc sigi

SJ> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ> setup running

SJ> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:
I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and  testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

jdow

But now he will never know WHY. Besides the superheterodyne receiver was a clever bit of design kit that uses the inevitable non-linearity in both empty state and solid state electronics. At that level the math is annoying. At the Radio Amateurs Handbook level it's reduced to simple arithmetic for the effect he is seeing.

{^_^}

  Monday, April 12, 2021

  OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting the console with the new definition applied (and I had already enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

Best regards,
  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

SJ> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ> display)

SJ> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ> done

SJ> dg9bfc sigi

SJ> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ> setup running

SJ> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:
I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and  testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950 MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

Chris Wilson

Hello Paul,

Monday, April 12, 2021

Thanks for the kind words, I am not ashamed to ask about anything I do not have the knowledge to surely answer myself, no problem.

In fairness to Jane (and I assume you're talking of jdow?), I have my e-mail package highlight all her posts in orange, and have been doing this for MANY years. She has taught me a great deal and I respect her knowledge, age and the fact she freely agrees she can be grumpy ;) So her abrasiveness is something I have come to find amusing and I willingly accept it for the info she imparts. In comparison to some other mentors I have come across, parental, at school, and in later life, she's a pussycat :)

All the best Paul, take care. And you Jane ;)

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

pn>
pn>
pn>
pn>
pn> Chris 2E0ILY
pn>
pn> I have enjoyed following your thread with Sigi on this subject.
pn> Please feel free to ignore James Hunt and ask other questions as they come up.
pn> It is how we all learn.
pn>
pn>
pn> Paul N2EME
pn>
pn>
pn>
pn>

pn>
pn> From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on
pn> behalf of jdow <jdow@earthlink.net>
pn> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 5:53 PM
pn> To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
pn> Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Can an RTL dongle be made to show
pn> correct frequency in the console on QO-100??
pn>
pn> Study how a superheterodyne radio works. Then you can probably
pn> answer your own question and figure out why
pn>
pn> {o.o}.
pn>
pn>
pn> On 20210412 05:01:15, Chris Wilson wrote:
pn>
pn>
pn> Hello Siegfried,

pn> Monday, April 12, 2021

pn> OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting
pn> the console with the new definition applied (and I had already
pn> enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing
pn> frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what
pn> you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it
pn> tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

pn> Best regards,
pn> Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ>> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ>> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ>> display)

SJ>> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ>> done

SJ>> dg9bfc sigi

SJ>> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ>> setup running

SJ>> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:

pn>
pn>
pn>
pn> I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a
pn> good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and
pn> testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on
pn> getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when
pn> listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now
pn> need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real
pn> frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at
pn> all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950
pn> MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency
pn> 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

pn>
pn>
pn>

pn>
pn>
pn>
pn>

doug

Hello Paul,

Monday, April 12, 2021

Thanks for the kind words, I am not ashamed to ask about anything I do not have the knowledge to surely answer myself, no problem.

In fairness to Jane (and I assume you're talking of jdow?), I have my e-mail package highlight all her posts in orange, and have been doing this for MANY years. She has taught me a great deal and I respect her knowledge, age and the fact she freely agrees she can be grumpy ;) So her abrasiveness is something I have come to find amusing and I willingly accept it for the info she imparts. In comparison to some other mentors I have come across, parental, at school, and in later life, she's a pussycat :)

All the best Paul, take care. And you Jane ;)

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

I suspect she'd be happier if you called her JoAnne,--doug, WA2SAY

Chris Wilson

Hello Doug,

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Oops, my wife's name is Jane, I guess if I call her Joanne all's square...I did have a slight waver when I typed Jane, I am sure jdow stopped signing her first name some time back, so please forgive me.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Hello Paul,
Monday, April 12, 2021
Thanks for the kind words, I am not ashamed to ask about anything I do not have the knowledge to surely answer myself, no problem.
In fairness to Jane (and I assume you're talking of jdow?), I have my e-mail package highlight all her posts in orange, and have been doing this for MANY years. She has taught me a great deal and I respect her knowledge, age and the fact she freely agrees she can be grumpy ;) So her abrasiveness is something I have come to find amusing and I willingly accept it for the info she imparts. In comparison to some other mentors I have come across, parental, at school, and in later life, she's a pussycat :)
All the best Paul, take care. And you Jane ;)

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

d> I suspect she'd be happier if you called her JoAnne,--doug, WA2SAY

d>

jdow

It's Joanne or simply "Jolly Dirty Old Woman." (One might say I was born a DOW..... My mother had fun with that one for decades before I started to use it. The tradition lives on.)

{^_-}

Hello Paul,

pn>  Monday, April 12, 2021

pn>  OK, it's working now. What I was expecting was after restarting
pn> the console with the new definition applied (and I had already
pn> enabled the 99.9 GHz option box) was it to restart on the closing
pn> frequency, but showing the correct scaling. When I did just what
pn> you said below, I see the satellite band, but I can also see it
pn> tuning back down around 739 MHz. Is that right Sigi? Thanks for the idiot proof instructions ;)

pn> Best regards,
pn>  Chris    2E0ILY mailto:chris@...

SJ>> in radio definitions add the 9.75 gig downconverter

SJ>> in general settings change max frequency to 99.9 gig (another digit to
SJ>> display)

SJ>> now tune to 10.489 g

SJ>> done

SJ>> dg9bfc sigi

SJ>> ps stabilisation with psk beacon is another thing ... first get the base
SJ>> setup running

SJ>> Am 11.04.2021 um 23:51 schrieb Chris Wilson:

pn>
pn>
pn>
pn> I got my dish up this weekend and pointed at QO-100. It gives a
pn> good signal just using an RTL dongle for RX and alignment and
pn> testing. But it's now near 1.00 AM and I have to give up on
pn> getting the Console to show anything but around 740 MHz when
pn> listening to the satellite. I may well be being dense, but I now
pn> need to ask, is it indeed possible to make it show the real
pn> frequency? Nothing I have tried changes the displayed frequency at
pn> all. I am using a Bull's Eye LNB (LO 9750 MHz, output 739 to 1950
pn> MHz). I made a definition showing down converting, frequency
pn> 9011MHz, for example, but nothing changes... Tried many other stabs at this. Thanks.

pn>
pn>
pn>

pn>
pn>
pn>
pn>

jdow

Late for dinner and all that. There is a LONG story about why I tend to be cagey about my particulars. It involves a year of on-line stalking.

There is also a touch of malice in it. People often presume maleness on my part. It's fun to sandbag them.

{^_^}

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Glad you have such a good sense of humor, I long suspected under that "take no fools gladly" exterior there lay a fun lady :) You remain on my colour her posts orange list ;)

Look after yourself Joanne!

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

j> It's Joanne or simply "Jolly Dirty Old Woman." (One might
j> say I was born a DOW..... My mother had fun with that one for
j> decades before I started to use it. The tradition lives on.)

j> {^_-}

j> On 20210413 14:17:15, Chris Wilson wrote:
j>
j>
j> Hello Paul,

j> Monday, April 12, 2021

j> Thanks for the kind words, I am not ashamed to ask about anything
j> I do not have the knowledge to surely answer myself, no problem.

j> In fairness to Jane (and I assume you're talking of jdow?), I have
j> my e-mail package highlight all her posts in orange, and have been
j> doing this for MANY years. She has taught me a great deal and I
j> respect her knowledge, age and the fact she freely agrees she can
j> be grumpy ;) So her abrasiveness is something I have come to find
j> amusing and I willingly accept it for the info she imparts. In
j> comparison to some other mentors I have come across, parental, at
j> school, and in later life, she's a pussycat :)

j> All the best Paul, take care. And you Jane ;)

j> Best regards,
j> Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

pn>> Monday, April 12, 2021