Bye-Bye 4m, Hello Band II

Simon Brown

So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Larry Horlick

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Do you have any PI Codes?

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

You can always upload a recording if you have time / bandwidth.

I'll be pointing the antenna at the US/Canada when out this afternoon.

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Larry Horlick

All of my confirmed have been posted to FMList. Can you look there?  Only 3 or 4 gave me a pi code but I have data recordings with MANY MANY more good audio signals that will. not give a pi code. It seems that sigs need to be at least -100 dBm for the decoder to cough up the code.

lh

Do you have any PI Codes?

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Larry Horlick

Yesterday was ABSOLUTELY amazing on 88-108. Most of what I heard was Iberia, and it went on for HOURS, signals were noise floor to -110 / -105 dBm...just a hair too weak...

lh

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 9:52 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
[...]

This was my best catch: Radio Soummam in Akfadou, Algeria...a 70 kw tx 4800 km

[...]

Sorry,

I don't have time to work out FMList usage. If you upload data recordings you can't decode it gives me data to use when tuning the software. If you do upload to the cloud then I'll take a look, there are still a few tricks I haven't implemented.

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Larry,

This would be a great recording to have. Please​ upload an IQ (data) file, if you cut out a portion make sure it's at least 500kHz wide.

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Larry Horlick

No problem, but i'm not sure how to do that...

lh

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:34 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
[...]

Can someone help Larry - explain OneDrive / Dropbox etc.? I need to take a break, walking a dog and I'm melting...

I'm in Eastern Canada and I had quite the session yesterday...Morocco, Algeria, Spain, et al on the lower 5 mHz of the 88-108 band. Many, MANY stations unidentified, so hopefully the RDS tweak will reveal more.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
So,

Earlier this year I replaced the Band II (88-108 MHz) Yagi with a 4m (70MHz) Yagi only to discover 99% of the DX on 4m was using FT8, even when there were strong Es. Got very, very bored so the Band II Yagi is back up and I'll be adding a Band II PI Code scanner when I have time, can probably run 8 threads in the background.

Some nice Band II Es to Sweden this morning, am uploading a data recording for anyone who fancies a playback.

Am still on 2m for any Es and/or Tropo.

Curt Faulk

Larry:

Do you have any online file storage accounts? Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or anything that Apple may offer?

(Sorry, I don't do Apple.)

Anyhow, this is pretty easy and I can walk you through it.

Larry Horlick

Negative..

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 1:34 PM Curt Faulk <curt.faulk2+airspy@...> wrote:
Larry:

Do you have any online file storage accounts? Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or anything that Apple may offer?

(Sorry, I don't do Apple.)

Anyhow, this is pretty easy and I can walk you through it.

Curt Faulk

I highly recommend that you set up the free Google drive storage that you already have.  I know you have it because you have a Gmail address and it comes for free by default.

just go to drive.google.com and try to upload and share the file.  If you can't figure it out, I can get on the phone with you and talk you through it or I can securely remote in and help you.

Larry Horlick

K...what is the max file size limit?

lh

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 1:47 PM Curt Faulk <curt.faulk2+airspy@...> wrote:
I highly recommend that you set up the free Google drive storage that you already have.  I know you have it because you have a Gmail address and it comes for free by default.

just go to drive.google.com and try to upload and share the file.  If you can't figure it out, I can get on the phone with you and talk you through it or I can securely remote in and help you.

Curt Faulk

5TB

Larry Horlick

k...can I make the SDR-C data file smaller? I think I saw a reference to that somewhere, but I can't find it now...

lh

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 1:51 PM Curt Faulk <curt.faulk2+airspy@...> wrote:
5TB

Curt Faulk

Other than zipping it, I'm not familiar with that. I haven't noticed any implementation of that in SDR Console.

Siegfried Jackstien

Another option is wetransfer.com... Or
Transfernow.net
Or filemail.com
I often use those for sending bigger files
Most free services are 4 or 5 gb max
And available for 1 week
Paid service ist about 10 bucks per month with one terrabyte for 30 days
Max filesize.. Some have 250gb (filemail) some have only 20 gb(Transfernow)
I only used/needed the free service of one of the above... Never needed to send gigabytes of data.. But for a wideband sdr user maybe those services is the way to go
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 07.07.2022 18:17 schrieb Curt Faulk <curt.faulk2+airspy@...>:

I highly recommend that you set up the free Google drive storage that you already have.  I know you have it because you have a Gmail address and it comes for free by default.

just go to drive.google.com and try to upload and share the file.  If you can't figure it out, I can get on the phone with you and talk you through it or I can securely remote in and help you.

Larry Horlick

I mean by either reducing the B/W or by reducing the time period that it covers?

lh