Topics

Better AM squelch for weak signals #sdrconsolev3 #future

goscickiw

The current AM/SSB squelch isn't very good for weak AM signals, when set to a low level:
- it sometimes deactivates momentarily when no signal is present causing annoying pops of noise
- when signal is present, it activates causing breaks in the signal
- when a strong signal disappears, it takes a few seconds for the squelch to activate again, causing the noise to be audible for these few seconds

Would it be possible to split the current AM/SSB squelch into SSB squelch and separate AM squelch that works a bit different (maybe detecting carrier instead of/together with increase in signal level)?
Also maybe a setting for how fast the SSB squelch works?

It’s voice activated. Another option is to lock to the carrier, when there’s a lock then open the squelch.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:29 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Another option is to lock to the carrier, when there’s a lock then open the squelch.

Can I use this method in the current SDR Console? I can't find any option to lock carrier.

Simon Brown

😊

I haven’t written this yet!

From: goscickiw

This is a request for SDR Console, not for other software. I use other software as well, where I find it appropriate.

I use SDR Console, because it can have up to 24 software receivers/VFOs - I always use more than two, and sometimes more than ten. I need the better AM squelch along with this feature.

goscickiw,

Perhaps Leif was suggesting an alternative method which Simon might like to try in SDR Console?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

goscickiw

OK, then it could be an interesting feature to implement. I'll see how it works.

Agreed - I'll look at this. I have a week or two for this sort of thing, also it'll be very important for the scanner which I start at the end of April.