Topics

Better AM squelch for weak signals #sdrconsolev3 #future

goscickiw

The current AM/SSB squelch isn't very good for weak AM signals, when set to a low level:
- it sometimes deactivates momentarily when no signal is present causing annoying pops of noise
- when signal is present, it activates causing breaks in the signal
- when a strong signal disappears, it takes a few seconds for the squelch to activate again, causing the noise to be audible for these few seconds

Would it be possible to split the current AM/SSB squelch into SSB squelch and separate AM squelch that works a bit different (maybe detecting carrier instead of/together with increase in signal level)?
Also maybe a setting for how fast the SSB squelch works?

Simon Brown

Hi,

It’s voice activated. Another option is to lock to the carrier, when there’s a lock then open the squelch.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of goscickiw
Sent: 20 March 2020 11:05
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Better AM squelch for weak signals #sdrconsolev3 #future

The current AM/SSB squelch isn't very good for weak AM signals, when set to a low level:
- it sometimes deactivates momentarily when no signal is present causing annoying pops of noise
- when a strong signal disappears, it takes a few seconds for the squelch to activate again, causing the noise to be audible for these few seconds

Would it be possible to split the current AM/SSB squelch into SSB squelch and separate AM squelch that works a bit different (maybe detecting carrier instead of/together with increase in signal level)?

goscickiw

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:29 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Another option is to lock to the carrier, when there’s a lock then open the squelch.

Can I use this method in the current SDR Console? I can't find any option to lock carrier.

Simon Brown

😊

I haven’t written this yet!

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of goscickiw
Sent: 20 March 2020 16:48
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Better AM squelch for weak signals #sdrconsolev3 #future

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 05:29 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Another option is to lock to the carrier, when there’s a lock then open the squelch.

Can I use this method in the current SDR Console? I can't find any option to lock carrier.

Leif Asbrink

There is a squelch in Linrad that is based on an FFT
analysis of the baseband. It works in all modes,
AM, FM, SSB and CW.

It would open the squelch at very low levels and the user
can set a delay to not loose the first fraction of
a message. Those who have an interest could make a wideband
recording available to me and I would make a video on how
to use the Linrad squelch.

Linrad is free software. Open source, with the most generous
licence. The squelch is a simple procedure that others could
implement. I think it is close to optimum.

Leif

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 04:04:33 -0700
"goscickiw" <@goscickiw> wrote:

goscickiw

This is a request for SDR Console, not for other software. I use other software as well, where I find it appropriate.

I use SDR Console, because it can have up to 24 software receivers/VFOs - I always use more than two, and sometimes more than ten. I need the better AM squelch along with this feature.

David J Taylor

This is a request for SDR Console, not for other software. I use other software as well, where I find it appropriate.

I use SDR Console, because it can have up to 24 software receivers/VFOs - I always use more than two, and sometimes more than ten. I need the better AM squelch along with this feature.
===========================================

goscickiw,

Perhaps Leif was suggesting an alternative method which Simon might like to try in SDR Console?

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

goscickiw

OK, then it could be an interesting feature to implement. I'll see how it works.

Simon Brown

Hi,

Agreed - I'll look at this. I have a week or two for this sort of thing, also it'll be very important for the scanner which I start at the end of April.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io
Sent: 24 March 2020 10:00
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Better AM squelch for weak signals #sdrconsolev3 #future

===========================================

goscickiw,

Perhaps Leif was suggesting an alternative method which Simon might like to try in SDR Console?

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv