Topics

Baseline

Allan Isaacs

I'm looking at signals below the broadcast band so I made a low pass filter which is set to around 110KHz to avoid cross modulation etc. from broadcasts.
It gives me an attenuation of 40-50dB at 190KHz and broadcast stations are so strong they are easily audible even with 50dB attenuation from the low pass filter..
I now notice my Andrus behaves a little differently with the filter in place. I cannot see baseline noise, just a flat line if I increase the gain to 0dB or -12dB..
Previously, any gain setting of greater than -24dB resulted in cross modulation of VLF signals so the filter is doing its job.

My question:  Is it possible to reduce the display cut off  below -150dBm which is position of the flat line?
I can add -160dBm using View, Scale, Low but the flat line stays at -150dBm
If I set the gain to say -24dB or -30dB from 0dB the baseline noise becomes visible but signal to noise is poor. Increasing the gain to -12dB improves S to N and to 0dB improves S to N even more but both settings give me a flat line as in the attached picture. Am I missing a setting or is it a limitation of an AD converter?
Allan G3PIY

Simon Brown

Allan,

I could reduce the cut-off below -150dBm but I don’t really want to – these signals do seem to be very weak.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs
Sent: 24 March 2020 18:33
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Baseline

I'm looking at signals below the broadcast band so I made a low pass filter which is set to around 110KHz to avoid cross modulation etc. from broadcasts.
It gives me an attenuation of 40-50dB at 190KHz and broadcast stations are so strong they are easily audible even with 50dB attenuation from the low pass filter..
I now notice my Andrus behaves a little differently with the filter in place. I cannot see baseline noise, just a flat line if I increase the gain to 0dB or -12dB..
Previously, any gain setting of greater than -24dB resulted in cross modulation of VLF signals so the filter is doing its job.

My question:  Is it possible to reduce the display cut off  below -150dBm which is position of the flat line?
If I set the gain to say -24dB or -30dB from 0dB the baseline noise becomes visible but signal to noise is poor. Increasing the gain to -12dB improves S to N and to 0dB improves S to N even more but both settings give me a flat line as in the attached picture. Am I missing a setting or is it a limitation of an AD converter?
Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

OK Simon

Don’t worry. I thought it might have been something I hadn’t clicked on.

I’m using a 9:1 unun probably more HF orientated that I could remove, and there’s a 50 ohm resistor I might chop out to recover 10dB more signal.

Experiments continue.

73 Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 24 March 2020 21:05
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Baseline

Allan,

I could reduce the cut-off below -150dBm but I don’t really want to – these signals do seem to be very weak.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs

Allan G3PIY

_._,_._,_

Siegfried Jackstien

does he have "visual gain" also?!? (depending on used hardware the gui or frontend is different)

here in my pluto settings i have gain (manual) and visual gain (shifts the whole shebang up or down)

with the funcube dongle visual ain is in 5 db steps (simon can you make that a bit finer in 1 db steps like in pluto with a slider?!?)

no need to set cutoff lower to 160... he just have to shift that up with visual gain

dg9bfc sigi

Am 24.03.2020 um 21:05 schrieb Simon Brown:

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

I do not have any adjustments Sigi, just Gain which has 4 settings: 0, -12, -24 and -30dB; no visual gain. The SDR is the Andrus Mk1.5 which runs over my Ethernet.

Two gain settings 0 and -12dB are not useable with a large aerial due to overloading so I have made a low pass filter which now allows me to use 0 and -12db on the VLF band where the aerial is short in respect of wavelength. If I use that aerial for VLF without a filter I get cross mod and spurii from long wave broadcasts.

73 Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 25 March 2020 13:43

does he have "visual gain" also?!? (depending on used hardware the gui or frontend is different)

here in my pluto settings i have gain (manual) and visual gain (shifts the whole shebang up or down)

with the funcube dongle visual ain is in 5 db steps (simon can you make that a bit finer in 1 db steps like in pluto with a slider?!?)

no need to set cutoff lower to 160... he just have to shift that up with visual gain

dg9bfc sigi

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Allan G3PIY

Siegfried Jackstien

so then ask simon to add visual gain ... :-)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 25.03.2020 um 14:41 schrieb Allan Isaacs:

I do not have any adjustments Sigi, just Gain which has 4 settings: 0, -12, -24 and -30dB; no visual gain. The SDR is the Andrus Mk1.5 which runs over my Ethernet.

Two gain settings 0 and -12dB are not useable with a large aerial due to overloading so I have made a low pass filter which now allows me to use 0 and -12db on the VLF band where the aerial is short in respect of wavelength. If I use that aerial for VLF without a filter I get cross mod and spurii from long wave broadcasts.

73 Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 25 March 2020 13:43

dg9bfc sigi

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Allan G3PIY

jdow

Insert a large attenuator - as much as 30 dB. Of course, really low frequencies will suffer. A sharp high quality 450 kHz LPF will do wonders.
{^_^}

On 20200325 07:41:29, Allan Isaacs wrote:
73 Allan G3PIY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Siegfried Jackstien
*Sent:* 25 March 2020 13:43
*To:* main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [SDR-Radio] Baseline
dg9bfc sigi

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> <mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Allan Isaacs
*Sent:* 24 March 2020 18:33
*To:* main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
*Subject:* [SDR-Radio] Baseline

Allan G3PIY