Topics

Bandwidth related help needed

Roy Schulz

Hi, folks.

Using SDRPlay RSP2 here and have not been able to figure something out.

When changing bandwidths the spectrum/waterfall display does not change to reflect the new bandwidth. For instance, if I have 1 MHz bandwidth where the display shows the center frequency plus or minus 500 Khz. and then change to 10 Mhz bandwidth I would expect the display to change to plus and minus 5 Mhz, but instead stays at plus and minus 500 Khz. To get the full 10 Mhz on the display I have to drag the little bars around at the bottom of the waterfall.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious to make the display width change automatic but I can't seem to find the answer. Some help from someone smarter than I would be appreciated.

And thanks Simon for the fine software.

regards, Roy

D R

Hi Roy,

The display does not change automatically when you increase the bandwidth - you just have to use the zoom slider to set whatever viewable width you want within the confines of the total bandwidth you've just set.

Regards,
Dave

On Saturday, 10 August 2019, 16:20:39 GMT+1, Roy Schulz <ve7bpb@...> wrote:

Hi, folks.

Using SDRPlay RSP2 here and have not been able to figure something out.

When changing bandwidths the spectrum/waterfall display does not change to reflect the new bandwidth. For instance, if I have 1 MHz bandwidth where the display shows the center frequency plus or minus 500 Khz. and then change to 10 Mhz bandwidth I would expect the display to change to plus and minus 5 Mhz, but instead stays at plus and minus 500 Khz. To get the full 10 Mhz on the display I have to drag the little bars around at the bottom of the waterfall.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious to make the display width change automatic but I can't seem to find the answer. Some help from someone smarter than I would be appreciated.

And thanks Simon for the fine software.

regards, Roy

jdow

You use the zoom function to open the bandwidth out. This is a mind-reading problem. Simon picked leave current displayed bandwidth alone and let zoom fix it if the user wants.
{^_^}

On 20190810 08:20:26, Roy Schulz wrote:
Hi, folks.
Using SDRPlay RSP2 here and have not been able to figure something out.
When changing bandwidths the spectrum/waterfall display does not change to reflect the new bandwidth. For instance, if I have 1 MHz bandwidth where the display shows the center frequency plus or minus 500 Khz. and then change to 10 Mhz bandwidth I would expect the display to change to plus and minus 5 Mhz, but instead stays at plus and minus 500 Khz. To get the full 10 Mhz on the display I have to drag the little bars around at the bottom of the waterfall.
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious to make the display width change automatic but I can't seem to find the answer. Some help from someone smarter than I would be appreciated.
And thanks Simon for the fine software.
regards, Roy

Roy Schulz

The only Zoom slider I see is at the top right of the Spectrum display, and it only reduces the bandwidth displayed.

If I switch from 1mhz to 10 mhz bandwidth, the only choices I see to get a plus/minus 5 mhz display is to either fiddle around with the little bars at the bottom or open the Radio frequency box and manually input the frequency and width.

As far as mind-reading goes, it seems to me that it would be obvious that going to 10 mhz bandwidth would imply that I actually want to see all that 10 mhz bandwidth, not just a small chunk. But then I'm not a mind-reader. hi.

Thanks for the info, folks.

regards, Roy

Paul Gulliver

Roy,
if you start with the bandwidth set at 1MHz and move the zoom knob to the bottom you should see the full 1MHz displayed, if you then set the bandwidth to 10MHz and hover over the zoom slider you will (should) see the knob is now about half way up the slider. Now move the knob down to the bottom and you should now see the full 10MHz displayed - it works with my RSP1A so guessing it will work with all SDR play devices.
Oh and yes, the slider in question is the one at the top right of the spectrum display.
Paul

On 11/08/2019 at 16:49, Roy Schulz <ve7bpb@...> wrote:
The only Zoom slider I see is at the top right of the Spectrum display, and it only reduces the bandwidth displayed.

If I switch from 1mhz to 10 mhz bandwidth, the only choices I see to get a plus/minus 5 mhz display is to either fiddle around with the little bars at the bottom or open the Radio frequency box and manually input the frequency and width.

As far as mind-reading goes, it seems to me that it would be obvious that going to 10 mhz bandwidth would imply that I actually want to see all that 10 mhz bandwidth, not just a small chunk. But then I'm not a mind-reader. hi.

Thanks for the info, folks.

regards, Roy

Roy Schulz

Paul, thank you. That is the explanation I was looking for.

regards, Roy

jdow

It is not obvious to everybody. Keeping it the same gives least surprise. And some people like it that way. Obviously Simon seems to like it that way. So his preference rules - unless you spend lots of money on him.

{^_-}