Auto-Contrast Function Question

BobS

I have a rather noisy QTH where swaths of spectrum are just filled with noise. I find that when I'm tuning, I am quite often clicking the AUTO button to reset the contrast because the noise levels fluctuate so greatly that the waterfall is too dark or blown out. Is there a setting that can automatically reset the contrast if I change the frequency or slider? I didn't see anything when looking through the settings. This is admittedly a question from a very lazy user.

In an unrelated tangent, SDR Console with the WiNRADiO G31DDC is spectacular!

function-Question.png

Thanks,

Bob, W4RLS

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Nothing automatic, but...

Take your mouse and drag the ‘Color Bar’ on the far right side of waterfall display up to darken, or drag it down to brighten (increase sensitivity).

This is quite common when going from low bands i.e 75m to 17m, until you increase gain(s), turn on the pre amp, and/or adjust the color slider.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Jim Smith G0OFE

I suggest you use "Favourites" to define your most commonly used bands. Within those, you can set spectrumn, waterfall contrasts for each band by checking the boces when you come to save the favourite.

When you recall the favourite, the waterfall contrast will be reset to your own settings for that band.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 10:34 PM, Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU wrote:

Nothing automatic, but...

Take your mouse and drag the ‘Color Bar’ on the far right side of waterfall display up to darken, or drag it down to brighten (increase sensitivity).

Thanks. That's almost exactly what I do. I just click AUTO after I tune, and it takes care of it.

bob550

I've never found the "Auto" option to be all that helpful. Instead, I'll adjust the upper and lower limits to my satisfaction, and then simply move the slider up or down depending on the band. BTW, the slider can be easily moved by hovering the cursor and using the mouse scroll wheel in either direction. What would be helpful, however, is if the waterfall contrast could be set per receiver as is the filter, AGC, and noise reduction settings, etc.

Siegfried Jackstien

try also the high and low slider n spectrum ... with all 3 sliders combined (plus visual gain) you can get a SUPERB 3d view :-)

the speed of the waterfall also influences the contrast and sensitivity of the waterfall view ... i prefer a lower speed (mostly use 5 lines / sec only!!

cause otherwise a signal runs to fast out of the view

what i would like to see would be .. in IF SPECTRUM (receive tab) tha the speed would be fixed to 20 line/second (best seting to read waterfall text) and that the main waterfall can be left to slower speed (what about a "fixed factor"?!? say 1:3 or 1:4 ???

an independant speed setting for if window would be nice to have i think :-)

when i "hear" somebody sending text i now have to go into view/speed and set it up to 15 or 20 lines (to read the text in if)

a speed button DIRECT close to the if window would be good (just nneded to set to 20 for wf text)

greetz sigi dg9bfc