Topics

auto boot Sdr consoe server from W10

Pedro M.J. Wyns (on Dell XPS)

can anybody explain me in short how to make the server auto boot when stupid W10 decides to reboot all alone after one of those totally unnecessary updates ?

Pedro C5WP

Simon Brown

Hi,

It’s a setting in the Server Manager.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pedro M.J. Wyns (on Dell XPS)
Sent: 21 May 2020 19:08
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] auto boot Sdr consoe server from W10

can anybody explain me in short how to make the server auto boot when stupid W10 decides to reboot all alone after one of those totally unnecessary updates ?

Pedro C5WP

Bote Man

Those updates are totally necessary. Only a fool would not want to keep his operating system up to current standards considering the incessant, ever-growing security threats being launched on the Internet.

I have spent years throwing rocks at Microsoft because they’re big enough to take it and I’m nobody. But they have too much at stake to allow Windows to be a laughing stock so they have gotten serious about security and I agree with their approach.

Windows Defender reports detected threats back to them so that they can be proactive about protecting your machine when some malware finally breaks out in the wild. Use it and keep it updated.

It is possible to configure Windows Update to download the patch, but wait for you to apply it. I posted a few months back some of the Group Policy settings that provide finer control over how and when it applies updates to minimize frustration. I’ve been caught off-guard by random reboots myself.

Cheat sheet:

RunAs Administrator      gpedit.msc

Click your way to              Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative templates -> Windows components -> Windows update

I set up a .cmd script file that starts everything I need at boot time, in the sequence that makes sense, with short delays (using sleep.exe) inserted to avoid a land rush.

There’s probably a PowerShell way to do it better, but this approach works for me.

Bote Man

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/streaming.html

Sent: Thursday, 21 May, 2020 14:08
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] auto boot Sdr consoe server from W10

Pedro C5WP

_._,_._,_

--
Bote's Streaming Scanner Feeds
http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/streaming.html

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Pedro,
By default, the "service" (not the Service Manager) will start automatically. Something overlooked (IMHO) by all users who dabble with the server, since the "Service' runs in the background unknowingly to the uninformed. The SDRC Server will still function just fine without the Service Manager operating after a Windoze 7 or 10 reboot. After a while the user gives up on setting up the server, but unbeknownst to them it's still pinging Simon's server with requests whenever the computer is turned back on!

I have a suspicion that's why we have such a high percentage of inoperative servers on the server list, over 50% are inoperative! See attachment of just a fraction of the inoperative servers.

Maybe Simon can change the default to 'OFF'? At what point in the future with more broken servers coming online, pinging his server, will his router think it's a DOS (denial of service) attack and shut down?

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Once again the attachment didn't 'stick'... whats up with that? Third attempt:

73 Kriss KA1GJU

jdow

Hm, is it a real Windows Service or just calling itself a service?

{^_^}

On 20200521 11:25:14, Simon Brown wrote:
Hi,
It’s a setting in the Server Manager.
Simon Brown, G4ELI
https://www.sdr-radio.com
*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Pedro M.J. Wyns (on Dell XPS)
*Sent:* 21 May 2020 19:08
*To:* main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
*Subject:* [SDR-Radio] auto boot Sdr consoe server from W10
Pedro C5WP

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Well, there is an entry in the Task Manager under services.

Kriss

jdow

Hm, what account is it running as? (You CAN do magical things with services....)

{^_^}

On 20200522 04:40:36, Kriss Kliegle wrote:
Well, there is an entry in the Task Manager under services.
Kriss

Pedro M.J. Wyns (on Dell XPS)

Thanks,

I completely overlooked this setting.

Now I still have to get My Icom RS-BA V2 running again as last W10 update ruined it...

Pedro