Audio Selection

Gedas

Using a RSPdx with SDRC V3.1 and Laptop with W/10.

All works aok but then I had the bright idea to install VB Audio to get some VAC going so I could run WSJT etc.

That went smooth and was able to make many FB decodes overnight.

1. I wish there was a way to be able to hear what the RSPdx is tuned WHILE it's audio is being ported over to WSJT via the VAC. Is there an easy way of monitoring what the VAC is transferring?

2. The next part has me scratching my head......I am done with WSJT and just want to do some listening on this W10 laptop with the RSPdx. When I go to SDRC/OPTIONS/AUDIO/PLAYBACK/DEVICES I can see my Realtek PC speakers on one line and the VAC on the 2nd line.

I select the Realtek PC speakers, hit OK then re-start SDRC hoping to be able to hear the receiver via the speakers but get zip. Is there an easy way to switch from one to the other? I thought the OPTIONS tab is where I make this selection but apparently not. Thanks

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....

Switch audio device with the dropdown just below the frequency.

You can’t monitor a VAC at the moment, additional audio routing is planned.

[...]

Like Aunt Audre always said......life's a bitch when your stupid !

Thanks Simon, worked like a charm. Have a good weekend. 73

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....
On 8/27/2021 1:54 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Dale Elshoff WB8CJW

Hi Gedas.  Windows 10 - if you right-click the speaker icon at the bottom and select Sounds, then click the Recording tab you will see the VAC output properties.  Double-click to open, then click on the Listen tab.  Here you click the box to enable Listen to this device.

Now you will hear the audio that is coming in the VAC and you can mute the system speakers if you don't want to hear the receiver audio but the receiver audio will still be passed to WSJT.

Also you can set the appropriate audio level from the Levels tab to get the best decoding.

73, Dale WB8CJW EN80ld

On 8/27/2021 1:23 PM, Gedas wrote:
[...]

Sorry.  Forgot the attachment.🙁

[...]

Hiya Dale.....awesome thank you. Will try it right out. 73

On 8/27/2021 2:13 PM, Dale Elshoff WB8CJW wrote:

[...]

Barry Jablonski

Another option, if you are using VAC, is to use Audio Repeater:

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/repeater.htm

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Gedas

Thanks Barry. Good to know but I will never purchase from him again after I lost a hard drive and my key and he was 100% unwilling to help out. And a snotty attitude too-boot. 73

On 8/27/2021 2:32 PM, Barry Jablonski wrote:

Another option, if you are using VAC, is to use Audio Repeater:

     https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/repeater.htm

Barry
WB2ZXJ

john rader

Yes, start a second instance of vac and select the virtual line you already started as the wave in, then select the speakers you use as the wave out. I use this all the time to hear what is selected in sdr console. When you only want to use RSPdx, go to the task bar, hidden icons onthe right side of task bar, open it and select the icon for vac, close it out. Only the RSPdx should be heard then.

On 8/27/2021 2:15 PM, Dale Elshoff WB8CJW wrote:
[...]

Excellent thank you everyone. Having lots of fun with the SDR this afternoon. BTW, just made a 525 km 10 GHz rain-scatter CW contact. Day doesn't get any better :-)

On 8/27/2021 2:37 PM, john rader wrote:

[...]

Wow.  That's great!  Congrats 💧💧

On 8/27/2021 2:49 PM, Gedas wrote:

[...]

You can monitor a vac with window setting listen to this device...
On my setup i use a mixing software and half a dozen virtual cables... And if needed can switch each of them to the speakers..
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 27.08.2021 20:56 schrieb Dale Elshoff WB8CJW <dale.elshoff@...>:

[...]

Thanks Dale !

You know all this technology that we currently have available to us is just mind blowing. I mean here I am in my recliner listening to VLF down around 20 kHz and just 5 minutes ago had an S9 RS QSO up on 10 GHz. Never could I have imagined having all this fun when I was a kid (punk). If only kids nowadays knew how lucky they are to have all this at their fingertips !

On 8/27/2021 2:56 PM, Dale Elshoff WB8CJW wrote:

[...]

Hi Gedas,

Sorry to hear that. BTW, Audio Repeater is a free download.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

jdow

Windows is being helpful. When you are using RDP you end up setting up to an RDP provided audio device on your local machine. When RDP goes away so does the audio device. Slog on over to your remote site with a monitor and set it all up there.

{^_^}

On 20210827 10:23:20, Gedas wrote:
[...]

Well - so much for that theory.
{o.o}

On 20210827 21:49:25, jdow wrote:
[...]

Max Mucci, N5NHJ

Hello Gedas,

A very helpful software mixer I use for almost everything:

VOICEMEETER by VB-AUDIO – The world´s most used Virtual Audio Mixer & Sound Tool

[...]

----------------------

73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Siegfried Jackstien

i use potatoe from the same company ... works superb

also downloaded vac plus vac_a and vac_b and hificable

so now have 4x vac besides the 3 that potatoe brings with .. means 7 virtual cables used here together with the full blown mixer

(and additionalli installed lighthost and a few vst plugins to give my audio a better punch and sound)

so .. i can highly recommend the mixer and the virtual cables

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 28.08.2021 um 18:30 schrieb Max Mucci, N5NHJ via groups.io:

[...]

Conrad, PA5Y

Voice Meter Potato (VMP) also gets my vote. I use it for many tasks including running demodulated audio from SDRCv3 or Linrad (for EME)  to WSJT-X.  I always found Sample Rate Conversion artefacts when using VAC. It has a similar effect to poor phase noise on weak signals with up to 2dB degradation when compared to a radio (K3S or TS-890) and a soundcard. This does not happen with VMP. I don’t know this for sure, but I think if you use soundcard with a decent clock such as a UMC202HD as the master output device this becomes the reference clock. I could be wrong as this is not made clear. However, I am sure that VMP is much better than any other virtual soundcard solution that I could find 18 months ago. It also has ASIO on the virtual inputs which has much lower latency and does not get mangled by Windows.

You can monitor any signal via the main output device. Like a real mixer it as solo buttons.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

[...]

Hiya Conrad, long time. Thanks !