Topics

attn Simon New SDRPlay API

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Hi,

With the new version of SDRUno, a new API is also available – that’s about as much as I read!. As a non-programmer, is this likely to open up new possibilities with the RDPdx and SDR Console? I realise it may take time for you to catch up and I wanted to check before I upgrade to the new API. I presume you’ll announce when you have a build that will work with the new API?

Thanks

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

martin m3ghe

I have already installed the new SDRuno and hard to say how much of a difference it will be. The DAB plugin works nicely.
SDR Console seems to work fine with the new API.
I will give it all a through testing over the next few days.

Martin

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Thanks Martin,

One of my follow-up questions would have related to DAB. If there was something in the new API that would help with SDR-C decoding DAB and DAB+ of course. I would also like to know if there will be any improvements AM SW DXing, and especially in Medium Wave. As I said, I’m not a programmer and I’m clueless (and curious) how the API acts as an interface between the hardware and 3rd party apps like SDR-C Simon has the unenviable task of making his software all things to all men and all receivers – like the Sentinel 4. Gentle reminder Simon 😊

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

I have already installed the new SDRuno and hard to say how much of a difference it will be. The DAB plugin works nicely.
SDR Console seems to work fine with the new API.
I will give it all a through testing over the next few days.

Martin

Decoding DAB is straightforward, the problem is the AAC codec which requires royalties. Shipping an unlicenced AAC codec is illegal.

Can you give me a link to the SDRUNO DAB plugin? I started DAB support some months ago to learn how it works, so would be interested to give the SDRUNO DAB a go. I have a nice log periodic up which gets a nice strong DAB signal.

[...]

Barry Baines

Tom:

On May 20, 2020, at 7:04 AM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

Hi,

With the new version of SDRUno, a new API is also available – that’s about as much as I read!.

I’m looking at the SDRPlay downloads folder and i see the current version of SDRuno is v1.33 dated 25 NOV 19.  There is also an “un-released": v1.4 dated 19 MAY 20 that is available with the caveat,

"Warning:  This is un-released software and you install it in the knowledge that is will have bugs and issues.  We are looking for feedback on this version as we move towards the full release of 1.4"

Given this statement, it is clear that v1.4 is meant for testing/feedback and is not an official release.   It may make sense to defer use of this version until the official release is made, particuarly since upgrading from v1.33 to v1.4 involves a new API installer that has only been tested on Win7 and Win10 and requires installation of Microsoft VS2008 redistribution package that may take awhile.  The new API is v3.07 which may not be compatible with software designed to work with v3.06.  There is also this statement,  “Note:  APi 3.06 and APR 3.07 cannot co-exist on the same system, so you will need to be mindful of that when deciding which version of SDRuno you want to use,’

Details may be found here:

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX

As a non-programmer, is this likely to open up new possibilities with the RDPdx and SDR Console? I realise it may take time for you to catch up and I wanted to check before I upgrade to the new API. I presume you’ll announce when you have a build that will work with the new API?

Thanks

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Thanks Barry,

That makes a lot of sense. I can wait.

Tom | G6PZZ

Mr Chesterfield | Derbyshire |UK | IO93he

HF250 | RSPdx | Sentinel 4

[...]

I can only find this, Simon,

https://www.sdrplay.com/sdruno/

Nothing specific about a DAB Plug-in per se. I don’t know if the DAB Decoder is in the API or in Uno. I appreciate that the royalty thing might add to your costs but can DAB be decoded without this? Speaking from my own perspective, my SDR’s are tools for DXing, and if I wanted to listen to a quality broadcast, I have other equipment in more comfortable surroundings than my office.

From: Barry Baines via groups.io
[]
SDRPlay is a commercial company selling SDR equipment to radio hobbyists, other commercial firms, educational institutions, etc. through a variety of commercial outlets (including Ham Radio Outlet in the United States).
[]
Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX
====================================

Which means they should try and minimise their own support effort requirements, and not upset their customer base, by releasing API updates which don't include a significant element of backwards compatibility. 2 to 3, OK, 3.06 to 3.07, though? Oh, well!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

David,

I agree. It's not nice to have SDRplay suddenly release new code without giving 3rd parties such as myself a chance to look and make sure it works.

As for not being backward compatible - it really should be!

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David J Taylor via groups.io

Which means they should try and minimise their own support effort requirements, and not upset their customer base, by releasing API updates which don't include a significant element of backwards compatibility. 2 to 3, OK, 3.06 to 3.07, though? Oh, well!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

M0ZEH

Hi Simon,

Can you give me a link to the SDRUNO DAB plugin?
No but his C++ library might help https://sdr.kt.agh.edu.pl/sdrdab-decoder/

Thansk steve M0ZEH

SDRplayTech

The downloads page for the release candidate software VERY clearly states the following:

(19th May 2020) Warning: This is un-released software and you install it in the knowledge that it will have bugs and issues. We are looking for feedback on this version as we move towards the full release of 1.4

It further clearly states:

This version of SDRuno will install API 3.07 of the API – this may make other software that have been designed to work on 3.06 or below to not work. Reinstall SDRuno 1.33 to put API 3.06 back on the system. Note, API 3.06 and API 3.07 cannot co-exist on the same system, so you will need to be mindful of that when deciding what version of SDRuno you want to use.

This is pre-release software for testing purposes for those that want to try it. The current released software and API are still available for those that don't. It comes with appropriate warnings and clear guidance on how to go backwards if people find that it causes problems.

David,I agree. It's not nice to have SDRplay suddenly release new code without giving 3rd parties such as myself a chance to look and make sure it works.As for not being backward compatible - it really should be!Simon Brown, G4ELIhttps://www.sdr-radio.com

Roger Need

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 04:15 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
David,

I agree. It's not nice to have SDRplay suddenly release new code without giving 3rd parties such as myself a chance to look and make sure it works.

Version 1.4 RC1 is not a stable production release and is only for users and 3rd parties who want to try it out knowing there may be bugs and other issues.   So they are doing what you want - giving you a chance to look at it before they do an official stable release.   Users can still download and use the stable 1.33 version if they want.

Roger

Simon Brown

Ah,

But how many will grab the new version? I saw this when writing Ham Radio Deluxe – downloads could be quite ferocious.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:24 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Ah,

But how many will grab the new version? I saw this when writing Ham Radio Deluxe – downloads could be quite ferocious.

Hopefully lots of people will download the Version 1.4 RC1 and try it out and report any issues.  But the SDRplay download site clearly lays out that this is NOT a stable release, contains known issues and may not work with some 3rd party applications.   So those that download it are making a choice and can revert back to 1.33 if they want.  I fail to see what is wrong with offering users a chance to take a future version for a test drive...

Roger

Barry Baines

David:

From: Barry Baines via groups.io
[]
SDRPlay is a commercial company selling SDR equipment to radio hobbyists, other commercial firms, educational institutions, etc. through a variety of commercial outlets (including Ham Radio Outlet in the United States).
[]
Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX
====================================

Which means they should try and minimise their own support effort requirements, and not upset their customer base, by releasing API updates which don't include a significant element of backwards compatibility.  2 to 3, OK, 3.06 to 3.07, though?  Oh, well!

We don’t know the reason why there is an incompatibility between the two API versions; at the moment we only know that SDRPlay has warned us that there may be an incompatibility.  From postings to this group earlier today, that is apparently the case.

BTW, here’s the announcement on 19 MAY 20 from SDRPlay on their ’news’ page:

https://www.sdrplay.com/news/  I’ve included below a portion of this announcement.

Note the comment about developers ‘catching up’ on the new API.  SDRPlay is offering the opportunity for users to try the new software before official release so that their feedback might enhance the official release and for developers to get a copy of the new API before the official release.  As the news item notes, those who are only using SDRuno with their SDRPlay devices shouldn’t have any problems.  Those that use other SDR software may have problems.  Hopefully developers will be able to incorporate the new API into their work before the ‘official’ release is made when SDRuno v1.4x replaces SDRuno v1.33.
Once there is an official release of SDRuno v1.4  and presuming that the incompatibility still exists, I would expect SDRPlay to address why v3.07 is not backwards compatible.  Who knows, there may be some significant enhancement/rewrite that in the eyes of SDRPlay Engineers the transition is warranted.  Keep in mind that SDRPlay has made comments in the past about a future rewrite, no longer depending upon development created by SDRPlay’s predecessor that may well inhibit how SDRPlay now wants to continue to enhance the scope/utility of SDRuno.
BTW, this is not something new.  Those of us in the Apple world saw the transition back in 2017 when Apple iOS dropped support for 32-bit programs with iOS 11.x and in 2019 when MacOS 10.15.x dropped support forf 32-bit programs.  In these two instances, Apple repeatedly warned both the developers and the users that a future release would no longer support 32-bit applications.  Very few developers appeared to take heed of the warning and so when the transition did take place, the angst was significant.  At that point, users had three choices:  1) keep using the 32-bit apps and not upgrade to the new iOS/MacOS, 2) Obtain (pay) for 64-bit versions of software they wanted to continue to use (assuming the developer was continuing to support/sell their product, or 3) find another software package that would meet their needs and is 64-bit.
At some point being ‘backwards compatible’ does have its limitations.

FWIW, I have spent significant hours over the past 15 months becoming familiar with the capabilities/quirks of SDRuno because of the dual-tuner capability of SDRduo.  There are some significant ‘weaknesses’ in how it functions from a user’s perspective and SDRPlay is aware of those limitations, some of which are apparently due to the software they inherited.  It has been a frustrating experience despite the You Tube videos they’ve made and the documentation they’ve provided because these support measure have been more focused on HF applications regarding listening rather than VHF/UHF applications involving data reception.  I’ve stuck with it because as far as I know, there isn’t another SDR program available that will recognize the SDRduo’s second tuner. I’ve spent enough time now with SDRuno that I feel comfortable using it, warts and all. Hopefully v1.41 will indeed address some of the frustrations whenever it might be released.

SDRPlay released an “Updated SDRuno Roadmap” back in November 2019 that outlines more immediate goals (but without a timeframe).  Note that the first item listed is “Plugin API”.  See:  https://www.sdrplay.com/updated-sdruno-roadmap/

I continue to keep tabs on SDR Console because of the work that Simon is doing, but until his software can support a second session using the second tuner, I don’t see much point is immersing myself in SDR Console as my utilization of SDRduo requires the use of the second tuner.  This is not a complaint/swipe at Simon;  he has his appropriate priorities.  And I continue to be impressed by what SDR Console has become and how Simon continues to put his heart and soul into making SDR Console an amazing package.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX

SDRPlay’s News Item
**********************
"We have today released SDRuno V1.4 as a “Release Candidate” which means it is more than a beta version.  We are aware there may still be bugs  to fix, plus there is a “catch-up” period when other third party software will need to adapt to our latest API.  When you go to https://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/ and select SDRuno, you will get a choice between the already existing stable Version 1.33 and this new Version 1.4 Release Candidate 1.
When you install version 1.4 it will install version 3.07 of the API, and this may have consequences if for example you also have other software installed on your PC (e.g.  SDR Console)  which is currently designed to work with version 3.06 or older.
If you only use SDRuno SDR software you should have no problems upgrading to Version 1.4 Release Candidate 1.
Version 1.4 Release Candidate brings you access to some pre-installed plugins for DAB radio decode and a new audio recorder which supports recording both WAV and MP3 formats.”

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...