Topics

ARGH! My stuttering is back on the SDR-iq's via remote

Kriss Kliegle

Removing the switch in office (next to Client PC #1) in above diagram, still same results on AirspyHF+. In this layout, client PC and server PC are fed directly to the ISP router!
SDR-iq #2 &#3 have one less switch in the loop, yet still stutter, no change.

Beginning to think it's something in the two desktop client PC's?
Websurfing makes it better, but once I go back to SDCR to make an adjustment, it stutters severely again.

Kriss KA1GJU

Oidar

Hi Criss.
I dont se any foreign addresses on the local subnet, is this captured when there is any active connection to the server?
Are you shure the gateway and subnets is configured right on all clients and servers?

- A simple test might be to use "ping -t" to continuously ping between the client and the server, If the time fluctuates when the stuttering occurs it might indicate problems with cabling, switches and network adapters.
- Another simple test is to use "NETSTAT -e -s" and repeatedly refresh by using F3 and enter (this works only if you have focus on the command prompt). Use some normal browsing to "learn" what numbers are counting normally, then use the problematic SDR to look if any unusual numbers are counting.
- All commands above are based on Window$ environment, if you are using another OS the may differ.

Wirehark is a good tool, but there is a learning curve to be able to capture the "ugly fish" in the flood of all kinds of fishes.

Another wild guess, are you using any kind of VPN service?
Make sure you dont "listen to your radio" thru a VPN tunnel, which might cause weird and erratic delays.

Good luck
//Mats

herbk@...

Well:
I opened a wireless client in the LAN and selected my Airspy HF+ to the normal excessive audio stuttering and then opened a chrome browser and several tabs only to find the stuttering basically gone.
Latency, as well, WWV right on the money.

The server computer happened to be in use with the chrome browser opened (and in use) as well.

I will pay around with this (and various clients / servers) the next several days but left wondering if this is a workaround. This seems encouraging.

Herb

Paul Mclaren MM0ZBH

Another random question.   What DNS servers are you using?

Are you connectong to your Airspy by an IP address or url/FQDN?

Regards

Paul

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 13:35, <herbk@...> wrote:
Well:
I opened a wireless client in the LAN and selected my Airspy HF+ to the normal excessive audio stuttering and then opened a chrome browser and several tabs only to find the stuttering basically gone.
Latency, as well, WWV right on the money.

The server computer happened to be in use with the chrome browser opened (and in use) as well.

I will pay around with this (and various clients / servers) the next several days but left wondering if this is a workaround. This seems encouraging.

Herb

Kriss Kliegle

All my servers use https://freedns.afraid.org/
because my IP changes monthly or even more frequently. So far it's been keeping up. OTW users (and myself) had to re-do all five of the definitions... a royal PIA.

GOOD NEWS!!! Well, sorta...

The thought had occurred to me about the use of compression, so I checked the network settings of the server manager.
The SDR-iq #2 & #3 server was configured with LAN users NOT to use compression:

Not sure when that changed, since I was using a WiFi link prior to pulling CAT6 ethernet cable out to repeater shed. So I
turned on the compression and now works 100% from Client #1 computer. Have to go out to barn and test Client #2 in while.

So, that's the GOOD news.... but AirSpyHF+ still stutters, even with compression on and bandwidth cranked down.

My learning moment of the day:
Check your settings at the SERVER end of the chain, use compression!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Joe Puma

Turning on compression sounds more like a compromise then addressing the issue. If you’re on a Gigabit network or even 100base T, that should be more then enough to stream IQ data which is roughly 30-40mbps that I see when using rtl-tcp with my SDR with a 2mhz bandwidth.

I’ve been following this thread here and there and don’t know the full scope of things you’ve done. but I would try to get some tools that will do a network Speedtest between two computers and see how fast data is being transferred between those two points. Latency can be an issue but if you’re seeing a few ms all around you should fine there. DNS and DHCP is inapplicable here, DNS caches your resolves so it keeps the IP of any dns host you connect to.  A router can play a big role in this because the computers constantly have to route through the router. Are both computers using the same router? Cheap ethernet could be a culprit but you said you ran cat6 which is overkill unless your dong gigabit but even cat 5e is sufficient.

I take it that these devices run fine locally and that the USB bus don’t need much investigating. Doing a Speedtest between the two points is the best sanity check you can do to rule out the network being the issue. Lastly I’ve seen a wacky windows enviorment cause issues like this, be it the sound drivers or whatever, but a OS re-install cleared that up.  Good luck im looking forward to hearing you resolved your problems.

Joe

On Dec 9, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Kriss Kliegle <kliegle@...> wrote:

[...]

Good afternoon Joe,

Looks like the speed and errors are in check?

I pinged the distant SDR-iq #2 & #3 server (which now works via compression turned on) and got this:

And I now get this on the AirSpyHF+ server, which stutters unless client machine is actively browsing the web: (Note, had to modify the windows firewall rules to allow it to be pinged, even though fire wall is supposedly OFF!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Stu C

https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

On a windows box it is enough to extract the files on BOTH machines you want to test (make it somewhere easy to get to, no spaces in the route)
then using the command prompt cd to your directory (lets imagine c:\iperfdirectory) and start it.

Machine 1
cd c:\iperfdirectory
iperf3 -s (that starts the iperf server with all defaults)

Machine 2
cd c:\iperfdirectory
iperf3 -c 192.168.x.x (that starts the client and you adjust the ip address to reflect that of the other machine)

That should give you some idea of the simple bandwidth on the route between two machines (assuming the AV/firewalls don't get in the way)

Stu