Topics

Airspy HF+ versus the Airspy HF+ Discovery. Test drive both to get a feel before purchasing!

Kriss Kliegle

My Black Friday specials appeared today in the mailbox!
So I have set up an experimental server temporarily for those who want to compare the two SDR's.
I have a 160M inverted Vee connected to a splitter (BNC Tee) feeding both SDR's.

The HF+ (the one with two antenna ports) is also connected to a VHF/UHF antenna, replacing the Airspy R2
I had previously on this server.
As always, if I operate locally on HF (Sunday AM at 1500z to 1600z usually), they will be disconnected from the antenna
to avoid damage from 100W TXR antenna only feet away.

The server allows two connections from one IP address, so you can run both at the same time:

Lots of static crashes tonight due to storms in the midwest!

Let us know what you think is better?

Enjoy!

Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle

Forgot to mention, Look for KA1GJU EXPERIMENTAL Test Server in your definitions. If you have the "KA1GJU Airspy R2" definition, that will access it, or build a new definition so the name matches the updated server.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Mike Bott

I find that the inline image is just a bit too small. Can you attach the image to a reply?

Thanks!

--
Mike

On 11/29/19 7:36 PM, Kriss Kliegle wrote:
My Black Friday specials appeared today in the mailbox!
So I have set up an experimental server temporarily for those who want to compare the two SDR's.
I have a 160M inverted Vee connected to a splitter (BNC Tee) feeding both SDR's.

The HF+ (the one with two antenna ports) is also connected to a VHF/UHF antenna, replacing the Airspy R2
I had previously on this server.
As always, if I operate locally on HF (Sunday AM at 1500z to 1600z usually), they will be disconnected from the antenna
to avoid damage from 100W TXR antenna only feet away.

The server allows two connections from one IP address, so you can run both at the same time:

Lots of static crashes tonight due to storms in the midwest!

Let us know what you think is better?

Enjoy!

Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle

Yes, I noticed that too. Sometimes screen shots are too large and have to be reduce, and other times they are too small like that above.
Here ya go...

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Ron Liekens

Kriss,

The noise floor from the Discovery is about 2 dB lower as its seems to be the same here when I evaluated the same sdr's. Its very difficult to see what is really happening due to the thunderstorms. I guess its best to make the same test when the band is quiet. Also its better to set the Signal meter in dBm to see more detail.

Sadly the HF+ was on load here, but I had some 3 days to compare it to the Discovery. My result was a 3 dB lower base noise floor on the Discovery and a cleaner signal in the MW band and in the LW NDB region, resulting in a slightly better SNR. Shure the difference is marginal, but every dB counts right!

73' Ron
ON2RON

Matthias Bopp

Hi Ron,

thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Kind regards

Matthias

www.dd1us.de

The noise floor from the Discovery is about 2 dB lower as its seems to be the same here when I evaluated the same sdr's. Its very difficult to see what is really happening due to the thunderstorms. I guess its best to make the same test when the band is quiet. Also its better to set the Signal meter in dBm to see more detail.

Sadly the HF+ was on load here, but I had some 3 days to compare it to the Discovery. My result was a 3 dB lower base noise floor on the Discovery and a cleaner signal in the MW band and in the LW NDB region, resulting in a slightly better SNR. Shure the difference is marginal, but every dB counts right!

73' Ron
ON2RON

Les Rayburn

I would love to “test drive” the Airspy HF+ Discovery on MW. I’ve never paid much attention to online receivers. How do I go about accessing this?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR2, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

Kriss Kliegle

Download SDRC V3.0.17 and create definitions using the Servers, not a local SDR attached to your computer. V3 servers are located on the VERY bottom of all the SDR mfgs listed. Scroll down to my server and create a definition and save it.

Let me see if I can copy and paste the LONG post I made with pictures o how to set up SDRC for server access from our club's groups.io site... stby for a new post/thread...

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle

Looks like it worked... pictures and all!

Cheers!

Kriss KA1GJU