From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ain
Sent: 09 August 2019 13:46
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Airspy +HF Discovery

Hello!

I get today my Air +HF Discovery. It's very small.But work OK.

All the best,

Ain

Ain

09/08/2019 15:54 Simon Brown kirjutas:

I got mine weeks ago.

😊

I get today my Air +HF Discovery. It's very small.But work OK.

All the best,

Ain

I read from my box 0234

that before me has sent 233 airspy+ Discovery

All the best,

Ain

davesc50@...

Mine arrived about half an hour ago ;-)

Will have a play over the weekend and see how it goes.....

On 09/08/2019 13:59, Ain wrote:
09/08/2019 15:54 Simon Brown kirjutas:

I got mine weeks ago.

😊

I get today my Air +HF Discovery. It's very small.But work OK.

All the best,

Ain

I read from my box 0234

that before me has sent 233 airspy+ Discovery

All the best,

Ain

Mike Bott

Mine is still "processing".  :(

--
Mike

On 09/08/2019 13:59, Ain wrote:
09/08/2019 15:54 Simon Brown kirjutas:

I got mine weeks ago.

😊

I get today my Air +HF Discovery. It's very small.But work OK.

All the best,

Ain

I read from my box 0234

that before me has sent 233 airspy+ Discovery

All the best,

Ain

Jim Smith G0OFE

I would have had mine today if I had been home to recieve it, but I didnt even know it had been shipped.

Going to be a nightmare to get my hands on the thing, as DHL will only deliver to my address or allow pickup from their regiuonal depot.

Neither is an option as there is nobody home on weekdays (no weekend deliveries!) and getting to the regional depot during working hours is not an option either.

Grrrrr.

Anyone in the UK had to pay any duty? I didn't have to on my HF+.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 09/08/2019 12:54, Simon Brown wrote:

I got mine weeks ago.

😊

I get today my Air +HF Discovery. It's very small.But work OK.

All the best,

Ain

Paul Gulliver

Can you not specify a neighbour or any other alternate address for delivery?

On 09/08/2019 at 17:40, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

Going to be a nightmare to get my hands on the thing, as DHL will only deliver to my address or allow pickup from their regiuonal depot.

Neither is an option as there is nobody home on weekdays (no weekend deliveries!) and getting to the regional depot during working hours is not an option either.

Simon Brown

Yes he can.

My address is on my website.

Can you not specify a neighbour or any other alternate address for delivery?

On 09/08/2019 at 17:40, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

Going to be a nightmare to get my hands on the thing, as DHL will only deliver to my address or allow pickup from their regiuonal depot.

Neither is an option as there is nobody home on weekdays (no weekend deliveries!) and getting to the regional depot during working hours is not an option either.

Jim Smith G0OFE

Talking to DHL customer servies, they are unable to do this as that facility has been 'blocked by the supplier'.

I cant ask for it to be delivered to work or to a local agent....   well I can of course, but it is refused.

I need to contact the supplier to ask them to unblock the shipment.

================================

On 09/08/2019 16:48, Paul Gulliver wrote:
Can you not specify a neighbour or any other alternate address for delivery?

On 09/08/2019 at 17:40, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

Going to be a nightmare to get my hands on the thing, as DHL will only deliver to my address or allow pickup from their regiuonal depot.

Neither is an option as there is nobody home on weekdays (no weekend deliveries!) and getting to the regional depot during working hours is not an option either.

Jim,

Delay the delivery.

Talking to DHL customer servies, they are unable to do this as that facility has been 'blocked by the supplier'.

I cant ask for it to be delivered to work or to a local agent....   well I can of course, but it is refused.

I need to contact the supplier to ask them to unblock the shipment.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 09/08/2019 16:48, Paul Gulliver wrote:

Can you not specify a neighbour or any other alternate address for delivery?

On 09/08/2019 at 17:40, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

Going to be a nightmare to get my hands on the thing, as DHL will only deliver to my address or allow pickup from their regiuonal depot.

Neither is an option as there is nobody home on weekdays (no weekend deliveries!) and getting to the regional depot during working hours is not an option either.

Larry Dighera

Yes. I placed my order with Itead on 6/18/2019, and it shows as
Processing.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 10:32:41 -0400, "Mike Bott" <mbott001@...>
wrote:

Mine is still "processing". :( -- Mik

Mike Bott

My order was placed May 23rd.

--
Mike

On 8/9/19 6:38 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
Yes. I placed my order with Itead on 6/18/2019, and it shows as
Processing.

sm6fhz

Hi all.

Has anyone, that have received one, seen / noticed improved performance in the Discovery compared to the original HF+? If so, in what sense?
What should be the difference between them, apart from the physical size and that the Discovery has just one connector (internal switching)? The RF-specs looks exactly the same at the AirSpy web page. Any changes in the internal electronics that has been shown / revealed?

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Alan G4ZFQ

The RF-specs looks exactly the same at the AirSpy web page.
Ingolf,

No, there are better filters in front of the Discovery, these are shown if you look at both pages. Full details are in posts at the Airspy group.
I would expect that the improvement would be difficult to notice without test equipment or very careful comparison of the two.
Much of the improvement could be achieved by using an HF+ and external preselectors at home, not so convenient mobile.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Leif Asbrink

Hi Ingolf,

The Discovery has front end filtering. I am making
a video comparing SDRplay RSP1, Airspy+Spyverter,
NET Afedri, old HF+, HF+ Discovery and Perseus.

When listening on 7.2 MHz a MW signal on 1.2 MHz
will at some point cause a 3 dB S/N degradation.

The Discovery is about 20 dB better than the old HF+
in this respect.

Things go very slowly here, I will look at IM2 and IM3
also, but the main thing is comparing the radios on
a real world antenna signal. Day as well as night.

These days I have very little time for these measurements
so it may take quite some time before I have something to publish.

73

Leif

Hi all.

Has anyone, that have received one, seen / noticed improved performance in the Discovery compared to the original HF+? If so, in what sense?
What should be the difference between them, apart from the physical size and that the Discovery has just one connector (internal switching)? The RF-specs looks exactly the same at the AirSpy web page. Any changes in the internal electronics that has been shown / revealed?

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Leif Asbrink

Hi Alan,

with a properly designed preselector (iron-free inductors
and an air dielectric variable capacitor) You could easily
get MUCH better protection from MW when listening on
3.5 MHz. If there is a local high power MW transmitter
and you are using a wideband antenna you need filtering.
A MW notch filter is what should be considered then.

73

Leif

The
RF-specs looks exactly the same at the AirSpy web page.
Ingolf,

No, there are better filters in front of the Discovery, these are shown
if you look at both pages. Full details are in posts at the Airspy group.
I would expect that the improvement would be difficult to notice without
test equipment or very careful comparison of the two.
Much of the improvement could be achieved by using an HF+ and external
preselectors at home, not so convenient mobile.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Tracey Gardner

An excellent and reasonably priced HF preselector with iron-free inductors
and an air dielectric variable capacitor can be found on the surplus market.
I am referring to the Clansman VRC 321 SURF unit.
It covers 1.5 - 30MHz and offers excellent selectivity.

There is one of these units available on eBay at the moment with a set of nice internal pictures showing the internal construction with lots of silver plating.
See Item 183703766051

The SURF selectivity at 3.86MHz is shown in the attached screenshot

73s Tracey G5VU