AGC algorithm

vbifyz

This may be a matter of taste, but I don't like how AGC works in SDR-RADIO. It sounds like the AGC algorithm tries to keep constant AF output level, even if there is no signal. This results in the noise (in the absence of signal) being as loud as the loudest signal. This increases listener's fatigue a lot.

What I would like AGC to do is to limit the dynamic range between the noise and the loudest output let's say to 20dB, or make it adjustable in the advanced settings. But not to try to make this range 0dB as the current algorithm does.

Misha

Simon HB9DRV <simon@...>

Hi,

I agree - I'm working to have the first kit on May 1st, then go on holiday. Once v1.0 is released I'll add a much better ALC.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV

http://sdr-radio.com

From: sdr-radio-com@... [mailto:sdr-radio-com@...] On Behalf Of vbifyz
Sent: 27 April 2010 00:11
To: sdr-radio-com@...
Subject: [sdr-radio-com] AGC algorithm

This may be a matter of taste, but I don't like how AGC works in SDR-RADIO. It sounds like the AGC algorithm tries to keep constant AF output level, even if there is no signal. This results in the noise (in the absence of signal) being as loud as the loudest signal. This increases listener's fatigue a lot.

What I would like AGC to do is to limit the dynamic range between the noise and the loudest output let's say to 20dB, or make it adjustable in the advanced settings. But not to try to make this range 0dB as the current algorithm does.

Misha