Topics

ADALM-PLUTO

Simon Brown

Coming soon.

More info: https://www.sdr-radio.com/Blog/PostId/47/adalm-pluto

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

dc8gy@...

Simon I congratulate and wish you much joy with these Tx/Rx.

A healthy and successful New Year.

Thank you for your great program.

George

Siegfried Jackstien

i have one .... nice thingy

do not forget to "hack" its firmware (70 megs to 6 gig and both cpu used)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 31.12.2018 um 07:14 schrieb Simon Brown:

Coming soon.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Arrived.

I’m concentrating on this for the next few days, if possible, I’ll have RX support in 3.0.4 and TX support a week or so later in 3.0.5. Online documentation is very good, looks like a very professional API. It’ll be interesting to see how this little beasty performs.

An advantage of adding Pluto (AD9362) support is it’ll be very easy to add support for other similar Analog Devices SDRs at a later date.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 31 December 2018 07:15
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] ADALM-PLUTO

Coming soon.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Siegfried Jackstien

hello Simon

cant wait to try it out :-)

hopefully my xtrx will arrive soon ... then we have another hardware to add

greetz

sigi dg9bfc

Am 04.01.2019 um 08:24 schrieb Simon Brown:

Arrived.

I’m concentrating on this for the next few days, if possible, I’ll have RX support in 3.0.4 and TX support a week or so later in 3.0.5. Online documentation is very good, looks like a very professional API. It’ll be interesting to see how this little beasty performs.

An advantage of adding Pluto (AD9362) support is it’ll be very easy to add support for other similar Analog Devices SDRs at a later date.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 31 December 2018 07:15
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] ADALM-PLUTO

Coming soon.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

David J Taylor

hello Simon

cant wait to try it out :-)

hopefully my xtrx will arrive soon ... then we have another hardware to add

greetz

sigi dg9bfc
===================================

Yes, it will be fun to run software other than the AD-supplied on my pair, too!

David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter:@gm8arv

Simon Brown

Only RX at first, TX later!

API is very good, documentation is very good.

Programmer's a bit iffy...

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io

Yes, it will be fun to run software other than the AD-supplied on my pair, too!

David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter:@gm8arv

Mark L. Hammond

Yay! I pulled out from storage my Pluto. Updated firmware. Ready to play with this again, but on V3 it will be a treat :) Thanks, Simon!

Mark  N8MH

Brendan Wahl

HAH! It sounds like the programmer just needs to have beer.
I was reading up on the ADALM, and it sounds like an interesting piece of gear. Maybe my first Xmit SDR...

Simon Brown

Well,

So far, not so good. Maximum sustained throughput without packet loss is 6MHz, massive internal latency . I was using the latest firmware 0.29, also mine uses the 9363 chip to the hardware hack isn’t valid.

Pluto is now on the back burner.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark L. Hammond
Sent: 05 January 2019 12:26
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] ADALM-PLUTO

Yay! I pulled out from storage my Pluto. Updated firmware. Ready to play with this again, but on V3 it will be a treat :) Thanks, Simon!

Mark  N8MH

D R

Hi Simon,

The lossless throughput is limited to about 6MHz by the capabilites of the hardware itself, so you shouldn't expect too much of it.  Below 6MHz it's excellent, but it's still usable up to 20MHz, depending on what you want you want to do with it.

Are you sure about the hack?  It's purpose is to trick the radio into thinking it's got a 9364 chip instead of the 9363 which is actually there.  I bought one last August when new supplies became available from AD, and the hack worked then for me, and everyone else who got one at the same time.  AD even seemed to be releasing them with hackability as a known feature to encourage their take-up.  Maybe they've closed the door now - I don't know - but I was quietly hopeful that we'd see support for the Pluto in V3 soon.  Perhaps, after a few days, you might bring it back to the front of the hob and give it another stir? :).

Regards,
Dave

Saturday, 5 January 2019, 17:47:33 GMT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Well,

So far, not so good. Maximum sustained throughput without packet loss is 6MHz, massive internal latency . I was using the latest firmware 0.29, also mine uses the 9363 chip to the hardware hack isn’t valid.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark L. Hammond

Mark  N8MH

Simon Brown

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you appear to be right about the hack. Haven’t tried it myself 😊 . Maybe a receive-only kit on Monday.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of D R via Groups.Io
Sent: 05 January 2019 21:10

Hi Simon,

The lossless throughput is limited to about 6MHz by the capabilites of the hardware itself, so you shouldn't expect too much of it.  Below 6MHz it's excellent, but it's still usable up to 20MHz, depending on what you want you want to do with it.

Are you sure about the hack?  It's purpose is to trick the radio into thinking it's got a 9364 chip instead of the 9363 which is actually there.  I bought one last August when new supplies became available from AD, and the hack worked then for me, and everyone else who got one at the same time.  AD even seemed to be releasing them with hackability as a known feature to encourage their take-up.  Maybe they've closed the door now - I don't know - but I was quietly hopeful that we'd see support for the Pluto in V3 soon.  Perhaps, after a few days, you might bring it back to the front of the hob and give it another stir? :).

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

Siegfried Jackstien

exactly there are TWO hacks ... one is expanding tuning range .... and the other is switching on the second cpu core (if i remember right)

that second hack may bring up a boost in troughput

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.01.2019 um 21:28 schrieb Simon Brown:

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you appear to be right about the hack. Haven’t tried it myself 😊 . Maybe a receive-only kit on Monday.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of D R via Groups.Io

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

Siegfried Jackstien

that hardware hack does work ... even if you have the 9363 chip you can let the pluto "think" it is the 9364 chip

my guess is that they just produce the 9364 chip ... test them ... and if sensitivity falls down on lower or upper edge they print 9363 on it

so DO THE HACK!!! it works!!

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.01.2019 um 17:47 schrieb Simon Brown:

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

Simon Brown

Hi,.

Here’s the link: https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users/customizing#updating_to_the_ad9364 I don’t see anything about the CPU though.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 05 January 2019 21:58

exactly there are TWO hacks ... one is expanding tuning range .... and the other is switching on the second cpu core (if i remember right)

dg9bfc sigi

Dave,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

D R

I haven't done the dual-core hack myself, but I can verify that the frequency range hack works exactly as promised.

Regards,
Dave

On Saturday, 5 January 2019, 22:04:25 GMT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,.

Here’s the link: https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users/customizing#updating_to_the_ad9364 I don’t see anything about the CPU though.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien

dg9bfc sigi

Dave,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

D R

Sorry - the link inside this article to the dual core hack appears to be dead now, but the details are here instead:  https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments/7h2hh2/plutosdr_enable_2nd_cpu_core_for_better/ 

It looks like another 60sec job which improves Tx capability.

Regards,
Dave

On Saturday, 5 January 2019, 22:11:30 GMT, D R via Groups.Io <robsond90@...> wrote:

On Saturday, 5 January 2019, 22:04:25 GMT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

dg9bfc sigi

Dave,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

dc8gy@...

Hello, Simon,
nice to see that your Pluto already works on the console.
The bandwidth hack works, but I didn't manage the CPU hack either.
My tests also showed good signals at 5.8 GHz.
I wish you continued success and a big thank you for your work on the console.

Regards, George

Siegfried Jackstien

Press J to jump to the feed. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts
Join the discussion Become a redditor
PlutoSDR: enable 2nd CPU core for better performance (see comment for short recipe)
2 comments
87% Upvoted
This thread is archived
New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast
Sort by
level 1
::::::::::: from the first link when i googled "activate second core in adalm pluto" ::::::::::::::::(copy and paste)

This hint was also buried in the comment section of the blog article describing the bandwidth hack on rtl-sdr.com some time ago. Found it accidentally this morning.

Extracted recipe:

• sudo putty

• User: "root", Password: "analog"

• cat /proc/cpuinfo - you see one cpu

• fw_setenv maxcpus

• pluto_reboot reset

Reconnect with putty as described, and "cat /proc/cpuinfo" => 2 CPUs.

"Charles Brain" in the twitter-message linked to above reports:

It appears to have made a slight improvement in performance

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::copy end::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

so simon did you already try it??

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.01.2019 um 22:04 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

dg9bfc sigi

Dave,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hi Simon,

Regards,

Dave

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mark  N8MH

dc8gy@...

Sigi danke jetzt läuft es auch mit 2 CPU's

vy 73 Georg