Topics

Acquisition of IQ data from NI-5668R to "SDR console application" #uhd #network #sdrconsolev3 #feature

Anis

Hello,

I'm trying to use SDR console for IQ data analysis obtained from VSA 5668R. However, there is no exclusive support for NI hardware in SDR Console as provided for other radios (BladeRF, HackRF etc.). I tried a few attempts by establishing a connection between both (through controller IP address) and interestingly found that on labview side, VI was listening the command sent from SDR console. However, IQ data sent from labview to SDR application is not being received on other end and simply an error is being shown. Probably, there is protocol mismatch or it needs certain drivers to acquire raw IQ data from VSA 5668R which could further be demodulated there. If someone has any info regarding this, kindly share it.

Regards

Simon Brown

Hi,

You’re not clearly explaining the scenario.

• Are you trying to connect to the VSA 5668R as if it were a SDR radio, or
  • Are you opening a file created by the VSA 5668R?

If trying to connect to the VSA 5668R then I don’t see how this could work, if reading a file then it’s probably in a format which isn’t supported.

Need more info!

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anis via Groups.Io
Sent: 29 September 2019 19:38
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Acquisition of IQ data from NI-5668R to "SDR console application" #network #feature #sdrconsolev3 #uhd

Hello,

I'm trying to use SDR console for IQ data analysis obtained from VSA 5668R. However, there is no exclusive support for NI hardware in SDR Console as provided for other radios (BladeRF, HackRF etc.). I tried a few attempts by establishing a connection between both (through controller IP address) and interestingly found that on labview side, VI was listening the command sent from SDR console. However, IQ data sent from labview to SDR application is not being received on other end and simply an error is being shown. Probably, there is protocol mismatch or it needs certain drivers to acquire raw IQ data from VSA 5668R which could further be demodulated there. If someone has any info regarding this, kindly share it.

Regards

Anis

Simon thanks for reply.

Actually VSA 5668R is NI (National Instruments) based radio receiver which receives a radio signal and after down-converting  it to IF frequency, outputs the signal in 32 bit IQ data format using ADC. This VSA is controlled by NI controller (Xeon PC) over PXI chassis through LabVIEW application.  I want this IQ data to be analyzed in SDR console. 

In current scenario, I am using SDR V3 Server to connect it to NI controller using its IP address (as VSA 5668 can't be directly connected to SDR console). I used LabVIEW TCP/IP protocol to communicate between NI controller and SDR console which is running on a separate PC. After establishing LAN connection among both, application on LabVIEW was listening the port of SDR console and in response, it was sending IQ data to SDR console. However, SDR console was generating error on receiving this data.

How can this data be received in SDR console. Are there certain drivers to communicate with LabVIEW. 

Regards

Simon Brown

OK,

No guarantee that I can do this. Can you give me a copy of the protocol / specification for this NI controller? PDF or Link?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anis via Groups.Io
Sent: 30 September 2019 10:57
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Acquisition of IQ data from NI-5668R to "SDR console application" #network #feature #sdrconsolev3 #uhd

Simon thanks for reply.

Actually VSA 5668R is NI (National Instruments) based radio receiver which receives a radio signal and after down-converting  it to IF frequency, outputs the signal in 32 bit IQ data format using ADC. This VSA is controlled by NI controller (Xeon PC) over PXI chassis through LabVIEW application.  I want this IQ data to be analyzed in SDR console. 

In current scenario, I am using SDR V3 Server to connect it to NI controller using its IP address (as VSA 5668 can't be directly connected to SDR console). I used LabVIEW TCP/IP protocol to communicate between NI controller and SDR console which is running on a separate PC. After establishing LAN connection among both, application on LabVIEW was listening the port of SDR console and in response, it was sending IQ data to SDR console. However, SDR console was generating error on receiving this data.

How can this data be received in SDR console. Are there certain drivers to communicate with LabVIEW. 

Regards

Anis

Simon in current scenario, this protocol is required to be implemented in LabVIEW. Probably if there is any Interface Control Document (ICD) of SDR Console, it may help me a lot.   

Simon Brown

Ah,

It’s the other way round. I match the SDR protocol, I don’t have a defined protocol. As this isn’t a SDR implementation it will not get done in 2019, probably not even in 2020 unless there’s significant interest.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 04 October 2019 14:51
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Acquisition of IQ data from NI-5668R to "SDR console application" #network #feature #sdrconsolev3 #uhd

Simon in current scenario, this protocol is required to be implemented in LabVIEW. Probably if there is any Interface Control Document (ICD) of SDR Console, it may help me a lot.   

Anis

Simon its been a week I am working on this issue. By now I am successful in handshaking between both ends (SDR Console and LabView) over TCP/IP. Moreover, I was able to capture IQ data from "HackRF One" while its connection with SDR console.
      At this stage I need your help. I need to know the protocol through which HackRF is sending its IQ data to SDR console as I'll implement the same in LabVIEW. Can you provide me this protocol or ICD please?

Regards

Simon Brown

Hi,

The hackRF is a USB connection, not TCP/IP.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 11 October 2019 19:07

Simon its been a week I am working on this issue. By now I am successful in handshaking between both ends (SDR Console and LabView) over TCP/IP. Moreover, I was able to capture IQ data from "HackRF One" while its connection with SDR console.
      At this stage I need your help. I need to know the protocol through which HackRF is sending its IQ data to SDR console as I'll implement the same in LabVIEW. Can you provide me this protocol or ICD please?

Regards

Anis

Hi,
      You are right, but if I get this protocol (for HackRF) i'll be able to simulate it for my radio (5668R) running on LabVIEW.

Simon Brown

Hi,

Your idea will NOT work. Either emulate an existing radio such as the NetSDR (protocol is available online) or write a program which creates an IQ WAV file. I may have time to support you more in 2010, but for 2019 I am out of time, sorry.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 11 October 2019 19:37

Hi,
      You are right, but if I get this protocol (for HackRF) i'll be able to simulate it for my radio (5668R) running on LabVIEW.