Topics

A problem with Virtual Audio Cables

Paul Gulliver

I'm using SDR console V3 to receive C-Band aero signals from the Inmarsat satellite - my setup is: RSP1A into SDR console, console has 9 receivers feeding 9 instances of Jaero decoding software each fed via a virtual audio cable.
Everything works fine for several hours then for no apparent reason the link is lost on all VAC's between console and Jaero - the signal is showing on the waterfall in console but not being passed on. The VAC links can be re-established by closing down console and re-opening it..
Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or any ideas where to look - the trouble is this receiver setup is supposed to run 24/7  so the problem is a bit frustrating.
All being run on a Windows 7 laptop

Paul

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Paul,
I had similar problems with VAC, so I stopped using it. I installed VBAudio and have never lost a connection...in months of use.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 7:46 AM Paul Gulliver <paulg1953@...> wrote:
I'm using SDR console V3 to receive C-Band aero signals from the Inmarsat satellite - my setup is: RSP1A into SDR console, console has 9 receivers feeding 9 instances of Jaero decoding software each fed via a virtual audio cable.
Everything works fine for several hours then for no apparent reason the link is lost on all VAC's between console and Jaero - the signal is showing on the waterfall in console but not being passed on. The VAC links can be re-established by closing down console and re-opening it..
Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or any ideas where to look - the trouble is this receiver setup is supposed to run 24/7  so the problem is a bit frustrating.

Paul

Mikael Dagman

Try an older release, I'm using 4.15 without problem, runs for weeks without problem. 

Oidar

I use VAC 4.14.
After adjusting the audio levels it has been working 24/7 for several months without any touch.
The levels may be checked using the VAC control panel.

Hint 1: You may get a better hint where the connection is lost, if you check if the signal is still present from console V3 -> VAC, when it fails to reach Jareo.
Hint 2: Just a silly question, have you purchased a license or do you use the test version?

//Mats

Paul Gulliver

Ok, thanks for the various replies, much appreciated.

I'm using V4.51 at the moment, perhaps I'll go back to V4.15 - it's noted on the web site it can be more stable under certain circumstances.

I hadn't thought of checking within VAC to see if the audio is there when the interruption occurs - thanks for that hint
Yes, I am using the full license version :)

I wonder if it might be my computer is struggling under the work load, the CPU peaks at just over 90% sometimes, I might have to consider and upgrade

Cheers,

Paul

On 02/12/2018 at 15:55, Oidar <omnia@...> wrote:
I use VAC 4.14.
After adjusting the audio levels it has been working 24/7 for several months without any touch.
The levels may be checked using the VAC control panel.

Hint 1: You may get a better hint where the connection is lost, if you check if the signal is still present from console V3 -> VAC, when it fails to reach Jareo.
Hint 2: Just a silly question, have you purchased a license or do you use the test version?

//Mats

MadMike

As VBAudio is limited to 3 virtual sound cards, it can't be used in Paul's case where he is using 9 receivers feeding 9 copies of JAero.

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

Original message---
Paul,
I had similar problems with VAC, so I stopped using it. I installed VBAudio and have never lost a connection...in months of use.
73, N0AN
Hasan

Roy Schulz

IF you search around the VBcable website you will find hidden in the corners the 4th VBcable. It is called Hi-fi Cable and works just the same way as the others.

regards, Roy

Oidar

Hmm, 90% load sounds way to high to me, and might be prone for trouble.
Try to reduce the receivers and decoders and see if it gets any better.

I'm not decoding Jaero, but decoding DSC on MF/HF and record some traffic on a rather weak i3 and it is stable as a rock.
I use 6 VAC's and if the CPU load goes up above 75%, the decoded performance begins to drops significantly.
However, an older 4 core laptop with a GPU is in the pipe, just have to mod it to be silent.

I have another portable setup with a old core 2 duo laptop, where i use 12-16 receivers on V3 and use VAC to dump the sound to MP3 files via RecAll pro.
When in use it normally goes for a day or so, without a hiccup.

//Mats

Paul Gulliver

Hi,
Yeah, I think cpu overloading may be the problem, I've reduced the number of receivers right back to 2 and the problem has disappeared (cpu now down to around 30%), I'm now going to slowly increase the receivers until the problem re-occurs.
At the moment I'm using an Asus N53J laptop with a i480m processor, I'm considering getting a refurbished desktop with a i5-3470 which according to benchmarks is around 3 times faster.

Cheers,

Paul

On 03/12/2018 at 22:21, Oidar <omnia@...> wrote:
Hmm, 90% load sounds way to high to me, and might be prone for trouble.
Try to reduce the receivers and decoders and see if it gets any better.

I'm not decoding Jaero, but decoding DSC on MF/HF and record some traffic on a rather weak i3 and it is stable as a rock.
I use 6 VAC's and if the CPU load goes up above 75%, the decoded performance begins to drops significantly.
However, an older 4 core laptop with a GPU is in the pipe, just have to mod it to be silent.

I have another portable setup with a old core 2 duo laptop, where i use 12-16 receivers on V3 and use VAC to dump the sound to MP3 files via RecAll pro.
When in use it normally goes for a day or so, without a hiccup.

//Mats

Oidar

Hi Paul

My kind of setup with V3 and as much decoders as possible (Which is similar to yours) love many CPU cores, in fact i tried a 6th generation 2 core i5 and compared this with a 4th generation 4 core i7.
The 2 core i5 was beaten heavily by the 4 core i7, and a GPU on top of this was like cream on the cake.

Best Regards
//Mats

greg stuart

Hi Paul,
My setup is much the same as yours and I am having the same problem except to re-establish the feeds I press the "Settings" icon in each instance of JAERO and then press "OK". Several seconds later the my satellite traffic starts appearing on Plane Plotter.

Regards
Greg

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Paul Gulliver <paulg1953@...> wrote:

Paul