Off-topic from SDRC

George Stein - NJ3H

Greetings,

I decided to ask my question on this forum since I always receive prompt answers and good information.

Does anyone know of a free service where I can listen to my SDRs while away while running them on my home desktop.

I have a VNC set up, and I can easily run the various SDRs, but that system does not have audio capability.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Regards,
George

Dennis Matzen

I use Chrome Remote Desktop
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Jim Smith G0OFE

Anydesk is my remote-ing software of choice.

There is also Teamviewer, but in recent years they have been very touchy with regards to any percieved possible commercial use and I had to stop using it.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 08/07/2022 21:39, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

Greetings,

I decided to ask my question on this forum since I always receive prompt answers and good information.

Does anyone know of a free service where I can listen to my SDRs while away while running them on my home desktop.

I have a VNC set up, and I can easily run the various SDRs, but that system does not have audio capability.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Regards,
George

Curt Faulk

George, couldn't you just set up a server using SDR# Spyserver or the excellent SDR Console Server? It seems to me that would be the best option and it's not difficult to do. Kriss, KA1GJU, has written some excellent documentation on how to do it in SDR Console. I'm sure you can find his setup guide by searching this list. It seems to me that a server is the way to go and would be far preferable to a remote desktop session unless you're just planning to listen using your smartphone.

Siegfried Jackstien

sdr console??

you can lock also in other radios (as an example i can listen on simons antenna hi hi as long he has his server online)

a bunch of sdr radios are online and you can set your own sdr into that list also (if you want to)

you can start an online radio like you would sit direct in front of it (sdr console does not care if the hardware is on your pc or somewhere out in the wild)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 08.07.2022 um 23:39 schrieb George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io:

Greetings,

I decided to ask my question on this forum since I always receive prompt answers and good information.

Does anyone know of a free service where I can listen to my SDRs while away while running them on my home desktop.

I have a VNC set up, and I can easily run the various SDRs, but that system does not have audio capability.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Regards,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks to all who responded. I did install Chrome Remote Desktop a few days ago and all was fine until a strange event tonight.

1. I have chrome desktop open on my desktop.
2. My Android app is closed.
3. Just arrived at San Francisco Airport and was texting my wife.
4. A text message showed up with no sender name or avatar.
5. The message came to both of us.
6. The message was some guy helping a friend with Chrome Remote Desktop.

So any ideas what in the world is going on?

Today, I got one of those pop up messages about some virus infecting the computer, but not from Defender or Malwarebytes. Ii looked like some phony website with the treats of God..

I ran Malwarebytes scan and all was reported well.

Thanks,
George

Simon Brown

Thanks to all who responded. I did install Chrome Remote Desktop a few days ago and all was fine until a strange event tonight.

1. I have chrome desktop open on my desktop.
2. My Android app is closed.
3. Just arrived at San Francisco Airport and was texting my wife.
4. A text message showed up with no sender name or avatar.
5. The message came to both of us.
6. The message was some guy helping a friend with Chrome Remote Desktop.

So any ideas what in the world is going on?

Today, I got one of those pop up messages about some virus infecting the computer, but not from Defender or Malwarebytes. Ii looked like some phony website with the treats of God..

I ran Malwarebytes scan and all was reported well.

Thanks,
George

Agh,

Glasses, I need my new glasses. Anyway, I hope the text and any subsequent tests were successful :)

I also have floaters which are a total PITA. And I have George who steals my shoes, clothes and takes me on massive walks so I am truly cream-crackered!

Thanks to all who responded. I did install Chrome Remote Desktop a few days ago and all was fine until a strange event tonight.

1. I have chrome desktop open on my desktop.
2. My Android app is closed.
3. Just arrived at San Francisco Airport and was texting my wife.
4. A text message showed up with no sender name or avatar.
5. The message came to both of us.
6. The message was some guy helping a friend with Chrome Remote Desktop.

So any ideas what in the world is going on?

Today, I got one of those pop up messages about some virus infecting the computer, but not from Defender or Malwarebytes. Ii looked like some phony website with the treats of God..

I ran Malwarebytes scan and all was reported well.

Thanks,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Simon,
My left eye got a floater a months ago which is as big as the starship enterprise. It can take 6 months to dissolve or whatever they do.

Looking at info on the goofy text msg. It indicates it came from me to her. She is all worried that she was hacked. What is weird is Thai I just installed that program/app a couple of days ago and that was the topic of the questionable text.

Have fun with George. Our family dog Festus, a black miniature doxie, died 48 years ago and I am still upset about it. Losing a pet is really hard. All the best to you.

George

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 9:57 PM, Simon Brown
<simon@...> wrote:
[...]

I've had matching floaters in both eyes for the last 25+ years. They basically never go away. You adapt.

{o.o}

On 20220712 22:49:14, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

That’s it with pups, everything belongs to them, even you it seems. You’ll have to stop him wearing your clothes at the very least.

Tom

[...]

PITA if you like bird watching 🙂

Thanks to all who responded. I did install Chrome Remote Desktop a few days ago and all was fine until a strange event tonight.

1. I have chrome desktop open on my desktop.
2. My Android app is closed.
3. Just arrived at San Francisco Airport and was texting my wife.
4. A text message showed up with no sender name or avatar.
5. The message came to both of us.
6. The message was some guy helping a friend with Chrome Remote Desktop.

So any ideas what in the world is going on?

Today, I got one of those pop up messages about some virus infecting the computer, but not from Defender or Malwarebytes. Ii looked like some phony website with the treats of God..

I ran Malwarebytes scan and all was reported well.

Thanks,
George

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Why go through all the trouble of remote desktops when SDRC has a built in server function? It doesn't run on Iphones or Droids, but Windows PC's only. You can make it private (only you and select users) or public, like my 13 SDR's and 5 servers at various locations on various antennas. For a list of servers, check out:
http://onairv3.sdrspace.com/onair-v3.xml

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Home of the Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA  (FN42mw)

jdow

Ah yes, I understand you must establish yourself as the alpha dog - he takes orders from you as I understand it.

{o.o}

On 20220713 00:35:28, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:

[...]

Kriss, not sure what George is wanting to do when he remotes in. For me I use both the server function but also Chrome Remote Desktop. If I want to listen to HF then connecting to the server works best as I have all the SDR Console functions (virtual COM ports, virtual audio, etc.) available on my local machine. But one thing I do at home is listen to my "Public Safety" configuration on my office desktop while the SDR Console runs on my shack desktop. This has 6 receivers covering a spread between 151 and 156 Mhz. So the server option does not give me the bandwidth I need. Chrome Remote Desktop does allow me to do this and does a pretty good job. So both a server connection and a remote desktop solution both have merits.
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Dennis Matzen

George, I have been using Chrome Remote Desktop for a few years now and also have an Android phone. I have never run into what you experienced. I have got to believe it is not related to using Chrome Remote Desktop. But Android and Chrome Remote Desktop are both Google products so who knows. I have been in IT long enough to know you never say "that can never happen".
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Max

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 09:01 PM, Dennis Matzen wrote:
Remote Desktop are both Google products so who knows.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Google uses Remote Desktop for their own staff to connect to HQ when working remotely. If they do that then I imagine they are pretty confident of the security. Not that this actually means anything of course!

David
G4GTP

George Stein - NJ3H

I would like to thank those who have replied. I really appreciate it very much.

My goal is really just to be able to listen to my various SDRs while away.

One question when using Chrome Remote Desktop. When I bring up the keyboard, there are not keys for control, escape, and so on. In VNC Viewer there are keys for those items.

Just wondering if anyone has figured a way to get those other keys with Chrome RD?

VNC Viewer doesn't do audio so that is why I want to use Chrome RD.

Being on the road I haven't had a chance to try the Microsoft RD.

Regards to all,
George

Gisle Vanem

George wrote:

VNC Viewer doesn't do audio so that is why I want to use Chrome RD.

RealVNC is far better than Chrome Remote Desktop IMHO.
But you have to pay for audio. Audio is available for Professional and Enterprise
users and allows the user to play audio on the Server and hear it on the Viewer.

Not very expensive: https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/pricing/device-access/

Mark Pettifor

Another vote here for Anydesk. Never had any issues connecting. I use it on my phone (Android) for tweaking antennas remotely while monitoring what's happening on the PC.