Remaining VAC Issue

George Stein - NJ3H

Greetings,

Starting a new thread.

Last week, Simon and others helped me with audio problems I was having with SDRC. Thank you all!

Some problems have been cleared up, but I am having still having issues.

Background:
1. Using VAC (registered version), I get background crackling noise using SDRC with my Elad S2 and RSPdx.  Using the native software, the audio if fine.

2. Based on suggestions, I have changed ms per int from 7 to 5 and Stream buffer watermark High from 200 to 500 (the next higher value).  Attached is a picture of the VAC Control Panel.

3. I have tried other programs (internet audio and WinAmp audio) going through one of the VACs.  All situations are working well.

4. I tried VB Cable and 90% of the time the audio is fine.  So it may not be a VAC problem.

4. The only common denominator is SDRC, I believe.

As I said in the previous thread, this is the first time this issue has been a problem.  SDRC has always worked fine on this computer, which is Win 10 Enterprise, 32 GB, Sound Blaster Z. Nvidia 1665 Super video card.

Any other ideas to correct this will be most appreciated.

Regards,

George

George Stein - NJ3H

I used a paint shop pro format for the VAC control panel picture. in error.  attached is a .bmp that everyone can open.

Simon Brown

Look at the audio settings, make sure on Default. I' hearing Console pumping the audio and not getting a steady flow through the audio cable.

If you enable Diagnostics then extra info may be seen with DebugView.

What software is on the other end, I can try to reproduce this.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 04 July 2022 23:13
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Remaining VAC Issue

Greetings,

Starting a new thread.

Last week, Simon and others helped me with audio problems I was having with SDRC. Thank you all!

Some problems have been cleared up, but I am having still having issues.

Background:
1. Using VAC (registered version), I get background crackling noise using SDRC with my Elad S2 and RSPdx.  Using the native software, the audio if fine.

2. Based on suggestions, I have changed ms per int from 7 to 5 and Stream buffer watermark High from 200 to 500 (the next higher value).  Attached is a picture of the VAC Control Panel.

3. I have tried other programs (internet audio and WinAmp audio) going through one of the VACs.  All situations are working well.

4. I tried VB Cable and 90% of the time the audio is fine.  So it may not be a VAC problem.

4. The only common denominator is SDRC, I believe.

As I said in the previous thread, this is the first time this issue has been a problem.  SDRC has always worked fine on this computer, which is Win 10 Enterprise, 32 GB, Sound Blaster Z. Nvidia 1665 Super video card.

Any other ideas to correct this will be most appreciated.

Regards,

George

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I have implemented the audio settings you suggested.  No improvement.  I changed the bandwidth using the Elad S2 from 6.144 MHz to 1.536 MHz.  No improvement.

Attached is the log from DebugView.

I am not sure about your question about the software on the other end. 

I have tried each of my receivers (Perseus, HF+ Discovery, Elad S2, R2, and RSPdx) using their native software and VAC without any issues.  When I do NOT use VAC and the audio just goes to the speakers when using SDR Console, all is fine.

So it comes down to SDRC and VAC.

If I restart Console with VB cable already selected, then the audio is fine. 

I should mention that I am using VAC's Audio Repeater program to listen to whatever VAC I want to.  I have batch files for each cable.  Interestingly enough, VB cable shows up in the list in Audio Repeater and as I said that does work.

The use of the VACs and audio Repeater is something that I have done for years.  So there shouldn't have been any surprises.  Of course I have been using console for years as well.  3.1 and now 3.2 have the same issue.

Please let me know of anything else I can try.

Regards,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Forgot the DebugView file.

Simon Brown

Thanks, it's flow control bursting. If possible, put a bigger buffer in the VAC I think.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 05 July 2022 06:27
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Remaining VAC Issue

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

George Stein - NJ3H

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for looking at this issue. Would you be so kind to annotate on the VAC Control Panel picture which field or fields need updating and what a good value would be? 

Have a good Tuesday. 

Regards, 
George 

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 12:30 AM, Simon Brown
<simon@...> wrote:
Thanks, it's flow control bursting. If possible, put a bigger buffer in the VAC I think.

--
- + - + -

Siegfried Jackstien

Maybe it does help setting the cables to a fixed 48 k sampling speed?!? (just a shoot in the dark)
DG9BFC sigi 

Am 05.07.2022 10:11 schrieb "George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io" <nj3h@...>:

Hi Simon, 

Thanks for looking at this issue. Would you be so kind to annotate on the VAC Control Panel picture which field or fields need updating and what a good value would be? 

Have a good Tuesday. 

Regards, 
George 

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 12:30 AM, Simon Brown
<simon@...> wrote:

--
- + - + -

George Stein - NJ3H

Last night, I updated VAC from 4.15 to 4.67.

When I use my batch files (one file per VAC Line) to start Audio Repeater, I receive the error message as shown in an attached picture. This picture shows the error message and and the batch file as used in version 4.15.  Documentation with VAC seems to indicate that nothing has changed from previous versions.

Also attached is the VAC 4.67 Control Panel screen

I do not see a way to correct this.  I really don't want to revert back to the old version.

Thanks for any help.

George

George Stein - NJ3H

Control Panel picture attached

George Stein - NJ3H

I found the problem.  The command 'Buffers' has been replace with 'BufferParts'.  Any existing batch files need to be edited with this change.

Audio using SDR Console now sounds good.