PlutoPlus & SDR Console - Garbled audio

Don Woodward

I'm just setting up a PlutoPlus and SDR Console - the audio is garbled - I can understand it, but it's not clear.

Any ideas?  I am testing using the recording on the TX-DSP page - it sounds the same when transmitting.  I have tried two different microphones.

The tone comes out clear when I try it.

73 & TIA,

Don W.
KD4APP

jdow

Drop the sample rates and try again.

{o.o}

On 20220523 13:49:38, Don Woodward wrote:

I'm just setting up a PlutoPlus and SDR Console - the audio is garbled - I can understand it, but it's not clear.

Any ideas?  I am testing using the recording on the TX-DSP page - it sounds the same when transmitting.  I have tried two different microphones.

The tone comes out clear when I try it.

73 & TIA,

Don W.
KD4APP

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Don Woodward

See attached.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Don Woodward

I don't know what I did wrong but now I am back to no audio from the mic.

73

Don W.
KD4APP

On 20220523 13:49:38, Don Woodward wrote:

I'm just setting up a PlutoPlus and SDR Console - the audio is garbled - I can understand it, but it's not clear.

Any ideas?  I am testing using the recording on the TX-DSP page - it sounds the same when transmitting.  I have tried two different microphones.

The tone comes out clear when I try it.

73 & TIA,

Don W.
KD4APP

Simon Brown

Don,

Always add a screenshot! In the Transmit panel there’s a small spectrum window, look there to monitor the audio. Anyway, Screenshots and Logfiles do help.

Also I see you have Pluto Plus – this isn’t officially supported but should work.

On 20220523 13:49:38, Don Woodward wrote:

I'm just setting up a PlutoPlus and SDR Console - the audio is garbled - I can understand it, but it's not clear.

Any ideas?  I am testing using the recording on the TX-DSP page - it sounds the same when transmitting.  I have tried two different microphones.

The tone comes out clear when I try it.

73 & TIA,

Don W.

KD4APP

  1. PlutoPlus – first time I’ve seen this, I know it exists but you’re the first I’ve encountered using it.
  2. On the top right of your screenshot there’s an Auto button – press it see we can see the waterfall better and know what you’re trying to demodulate.
  3. Try offset tuning – don’t have the signal you want to demodulate in the center of the display, there may be a spur there (I think this is the case).
  4. In the Receive panel on the left:
    1. Close the audio display window – not needed (click the button next to the audio level a few times).
    2. Scroll down so we can see the Radio settings, I expect this is the problem, gains need adjusting.
  5. We’ll find the problem!

I’ve attached a screenshot of a Pluto rev B – you see the Radio panel on the left and Transmit spectrum on the right.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

John Barnett

Take a look at this it may help?  Tech Minds: Testing the Pluto Plus SDR (rtl-sdr.com)

On Tue, 24 May 2022 at 06:44, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Regards
John.

Don Woodward

Well I decided to update the Pluto firmware to 0.34 - now I am not receiving anything in SDR Console on the Pluto - for comparison I connected a RTLSDR and it's working fine.

BTW, the original issue was with TX audio from the Pluto being garbled - RX audio was always fine.  Also when I send the tone it was always fine on the other radio, I was monitoring both it on.

Advice on how to proceed?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Simon Brown

Don,

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

  1. PlutoPlus – first time I’ve seen this, I know it exists but you’re the first I’ve encountered using it.
  2. On the top right of your screenshot there’s an Auto button – press it see we can see the waterfall better and know what you’re trying to demodulate.
  3. Try offset tuning – don’t have the signal you want to demodulate in the center of the display, there may be a spur there (I think this is the case).
  4. In the Receive panel on the left:
    1. Close the audio display window – not needed (click the button next to the audio level a few times).
    2. Scroll down so we can see the Radio settings, I expect this is the problem, gains need adjusting.
  1. We’ll find the problem!

I’ve attached a screenshot of a Pluto rev B – you see the Radio panel on the left and Transmit spectrum on the right.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Don Woodward

See attached.

There is a very strong National Weather Service transmitter 7.5 miles from me on 162.500 - not even seeing it.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Agreed. I see the audio’s muted. Try a broadcast station using BFM – 88 to 108MHz, start with a greater bandwidth.

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Perhaps you might get some success looking at the software and hardware existing between the microphone and SDRC.

{^_^}

On 20220524 08:15:15, Don Woodward wrote:

[...]

Also show us what device manager says and what you see when you double click on its folder on "My PC".

{o.o}

On 20220524 08:29:37, Simon Brown wrote:

Don,

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Um, er, it might right there staring him in his face, among all the odd settings. He's about 4 kHz off calibration; his audio is muted so of course he will hear nothing; he has gain set to maximum and video gain set to -30; he is set to full duplex (try simplex, make it work, then try duplex if needed); TX side has gains maxed out (overload can produce odd effects); RF bandwidth is a tad small for WX broadcasts; and I lost interest looking for more. (I have noticed that out of a fairly narrow band of Visual Gain settings the radio will blank. That suggests me Video Gain is not really only a gain for the spectrum related displays.

He should try 12 kHz bandwidth. It will sound better. (He should NEVER try to transmit on that frequency. Never Never Never. I hope he didn't try it.) NOAA broadcasts are a wide NFM rather than the narrower deviation hams and many other services use. Channels are 25 kHz.

Is his antenna connected to RX or TX side? Is he set to use Pluto's AGC? (I don't trust it. Is there a strong signal out of his display range that is suppressing Pluto's gain?)

Is he set to NFM?

Simon, you might do some good to place current mode and IF bandwidth down in the status bar.

{o.o}

On 20220524 12:19:19, Simon Brown wrote:

Agreed. I see the audio’s muted. Try a broadcast station using BFM – 88 to 108MHz, start with a greater bandwidth.

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Nah,

We’re not getting data from the microphone I think, logfile will show what’s happening.

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Max

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 06:44 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
I’ve attached a screenshot of a Pluto rev B – you see the Radio panel on the left and Transmit spectrum on the right.
Sorry, off topic, but there have been several messages in this thread mentioning attachments but I don't see a single one of them. I always read using the web interface, not via email.

Anyone else get the same thing, i.e. no attachments showing on web interface? I'm not aware of any setting in IO that prevents it and I'm sure I've always seen them before.

Max

jdow

Multiple sound cards or inputs and the microphone setting is to the wrong one? I have a USB card with both mic and line inputs. Which one works seems to be an item of chance.

{o.o}

On 20220524 22:14:30, Simon Brown wrote:

Nah,

We’re not getting data from the microphone I think, logfile will show what’s happening.

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

I have a Logitech microphone I bought while in Finland, was in my office there, had a spare day and wanted to talk with Peter PH1PH (SK) about Ham Radio Deluxe. Must have been circa 2005.

Anyway, it has a mute button.

Also the input level in the Sound Control panel could be set to 0.

Or something.

For goodness sake – screenshots! Show us what you’re doing, need to see the radio part of the receive panel.

complete and unedited Screen shot using the screenshot tool will be most beneficial for us to help you.

Especially taken when it is acting up. There’s an important bar graph meter in the lower ribbon bar that will probably leave us to some conclusion.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Attachments:

Alan G4ZFQ

Anyone else get the same thing, i.e. no attachments showing on web interface? I'm not aware of any setting in IO that prevents it and I'm sure I've always seen them before.
Max,

Yes, with your post!
I do not think it's .io but something else. Message source seems to indicate you did not send as an attachment?

73 Alan G4ZFQ