GPU card

n6vl

Edited

This is a follow up to my previous "Minimizing CPU load" topic. In retrospect it's not the CPU load that's my issue, but SDR-C's effect on other logging applications. My CPU load is around 8% +/-. My machine is a Dell Optiplex 9020. It has a i7-4770 quad core 3.40 GHz w/ 16 GB RAM. I could upgrade to 32 GB.

However it's the display that could be lacking. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. I'm not privy to graphics card performance. I could try to get a more up to date NVIDIA card. SDR Console can off load some of it processing to GPU memory. My card has 1 GB RAM. I don't need 4K graphics, so legacy 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz is just fine for me. My middle aged eyes are quite happy with my current resolution.

I don't see any performance benefit by enabling NVIDIA CUDA. How do I know if it's increasing performance? Any diagnostics?

de Steve N6VL

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Steve,

You could search through previous correspondence on this subject as it has been covered many times by many people and the answer has always been upgrade! Your eyes may not notice the difference but your CPU certainly will. I have a GTX 1650 SUPER. Simon has often recommended this model – the SUPER is important, can’t remember why(!) Easily drives both my mismatched monitors, neither of which are 4K. My CPU performance dropped from 4-6% to >1% which is typical of the results reported by others with the same or better card.  There are plenty of more modern cards to choose from but you don’t have to spend a fortune. It is worth remembering that even if the card is a 4K, you won’t see it unless your monitor is also 4K. if you need to replace your monitor in the future, you might not be able to buy a non-4K monitor.

HTH

Tom G6PZZ, (with eyes older than yours!)

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of n6vl via groups.io
Sent: 22 March 2022 16:16
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] GPU card

[Edited Message Follows]

This is a follow up to my previous "Minimizing CPU load" topic. In retrospect it's not the CPU load that's my issue, but SDR-C's effect on other logging applications. My CPU load is around 8% +/-. My machine is a Dell Optiplex 9020. It has a i7-4770 quad core 3.40 GHz w/ 16 GB RAM. I could upgrade to 32 GB.

However it's the display that could be lacking. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. I'm not privy to graphics card performance. I could try to get a more up to date NVIDIA card. SDR Console can off load some of it processing to GPU memory. My card has 1 GB RAM. I don't need 4K graphics, so legacy 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz is just fine for me. My middle aged eyes are quite happy with my current resolution.

I don't see any performance benefit by enabling NVIDIA CUDA. How do I know if it's increasing performance? Any diagnostics?

de Steve N6VL

Paul Williams

I have a NEW NVIDIA GPU and enabling CUDA allows me to completely offset all CPU draw from SDR Console to the GPU.  You might be on to something here.

n6vl

Replying to Tom: wow the GTX 1650 SUPER is quite expensive! About $400 USD or more on Amazon. I didn't pay that much for this refurb Dell Optiplex about 4 years ago!

Hoping there are some more economical GTX models that will still help out on my primary CPU load? Guess I need to search this group?

de Steve N6VL

David De Coons

Video cards in the U.S. went crazy due to bit coin mining, then the pandemic and supply chain issues.

I just listed my EVGA Nvidia 2080 Super for sale locally on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

Compared to new prices it is listed reasonable so should sell.

But, if you do go with a used card, watch out for the ones used for bit coin mining. A lot of times they have issues with the GPU due to overheating.

Dave wo2x

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of n6vl via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] GPU card

Replying to Tom: wow the GTX 1650 SUPER is quite expensive! About $400 USD or more on Amazon. I didn't pay that much for this refurb Dell Optiplex about 4 years ago!

Hoping there are some more economical GTX models that will still help out on my primary CPU load? Guess I need to search this group?

de Steve N6VL

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

I purchased mine in September 2020 for less than £170.00 and it was certainly at the lower end of the list. The new mobo, processor and RAM was around £400.00 purchased at the same time. I guess I made the right choices at the right time. You can really compare the price to a refurb computer with very low end graphics. In effect you probably purchased a computer on price rather than one that would do what you needed. I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad but people have been buying computers the wrong way round for decades. Before you choose CPU, RAM and graphics, ask what software you are going to run then see what spec you need. In this case your refurbished Dell may well have had a good CPU, RAM etc., but a slower CPU might well have paid for a better graphics card and wouldn’t be slowing you down now. It’s one of the prices we pay in the never-ending search for perfection.  My new PC in 2020 was the first new machine I had built since 2010 and I had never paid more than £25.00 for graphics before. It helps not to play games or get sucked into the get rich quick mire that is bitcoin etc.

Let us hope that COVID and supply chain problems soon abate and the world can get back to normal.

Tom G6PZZ

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of David De Coons
Sent: 22 March 2022 18:59

Video cards in the U.S. went crazy due to bit coin mining, then the pandemic and supply chain issues.

I just listed my EVGA Nvidia 2080 Super for sale locally on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

Compared to new prices it is listed reasonable so should sell.

But, if you do go with a used card, watch out for the ones used for bit coin mining. A lot of times they have issues with the GPU due to overheating.

Dave wo2x

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 2:38 PM

de Steve N6VL

n6vl

Any consensus about GTX 1650 brands. Tom says to use SUPER brand only. Is SUPER a brand? Or can any GTX 1650 work?

Siegfried Jackstien

yes .. any does work

even my much smaller nvidia quadro k2100m works in cuda mode (and helps to lower main cpu load)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 22.03.2022 um 21:37 schrieb n6vl via groups.io:

Any consensus about GTX 1650 brands. Tom says to use SUPER brand only. Is SUPER a brand? Or can any GTX 1650 work?

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

In this context, SUPER is one of the variants of the 1650 series. I bought it on Simon’s recommendation as a good compromise against price and performance.

NVIDIA makes graphics chips and licences their technology to manufacturers. In my case I bought a Gigabyte, to match the mobo. Sigi is right though, almost any graphics card is better than nothing. I’ve also just realised you mentioned “Optiplex”  and depending on the case style you might also be looking for a low profile card. If you have a conventional ATX tower style case, that shouldn’t be a problem but if it is a “slim-line designer type”, just be careful and look at the insides first. If you hadn’t noticed, the 1650 Super takes up the space of two slots.

Tom

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 22 March 2022 20:43

yes .. any does work

even my much smaller nvidia quadro k2100m works in cuda mode (and helps to lower main cpu load)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 22.03.2022 um 21:37 schrieb n6vl via groups.io:

martinbradford2001

I've recently replaced my elderly Intel core I3 with a Lenovo mini-tower with AMD Ryzen 5 processor with Radeon GPU - and enabled OpenCL -and and the result is amazing. This afternoon I was running SDR Console, Win4Icom, Win4Yaesu, Log4OM and WSJT-X - and the CPU occupancy never went above 10%.

The machine cost £360 new from the Lenovo store on Amazon.

--
Martin
G8FXC

n6vl

My Optiplex is a mini tower which is the largest size. I found this available locally:

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ventus XS Overclocked Dual-Fan 4GB GDDR6 PCIe Graphics Card

The overclocked part scares me. Overheating comes to mind. It has 4 GB RAM versus 8 GB on other cards. But the price is right at $260. And my power supply barely matches the requirements. If I do need a heftier power supply, it should be one with  ether than average EMI characteristics.

It's looking like SDR-C needs at least at lower end gaming machine!

de Steve N6VL

jdow

Of course, you could get a large TV monitor, use the HDMI port, and enjoy the pleasures of a huge screen you can sit well away from and still see the full resolution. The huge screen is minimum of 55" diagonal so it may be a little large for your ham station.

{^_-}

On 20220322 10:45:34, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:

Steve,

You could search through previous correspondence on this subject as it has been covered many times by many people and the answer has always been upgrade! Your eyes may not notice the difference but your CPU certainly will. I have a GTX 1650 SUPER. Simon has often recommended this model – the SUPER is important, can’t remember why(!) Easily drives both my mismatched monitors, neither of which are 4K. My CPU performance dropped from 4-6% to >1% which is typical of the results reported by others with the same or better card.  There are plenty of more modern cards to choose from but you don’t have to spend a fortune. It is worth remembering that even if the card is a 4K, you won’t see it unless your monitor is also 4K. if you need to replace your monitor in the future, you might not be able to buy a non-4K monitor.

HTH

Tom G6PZZ, (with eyes older than yours!)

[Edited Message Follows]

de Steve N6VL

jdow

In the US it is not even available from Amazon, only from Amazon affiliates. I'm wary of NewEgg these days. Dunno about TigerDirect. So....

{o.o}

On 20220322 11:38:02, n6vl via groups.io wrote:

de Steve N6VL

jdow

You do not have to enable the overclocking, And, I believe the cards do not switch to overclocked operation if it is not needed.

{^_^}

On 20220322 17:45:41, n6vl via groups.io wrote:

My Optiplex is a mini tower which is the largest size. I found this available locally:

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ventus XS Overclocked Dual-Fan 4GB GDDR6 PCIe Graphics Card

The overclocked part scares me. Overheating comes to mind. It has 4 GB RAM versus 8 GB on other cards. But the price is right at $260. And my power supply barely matches the requirements. If I do need a heftier power supply, it should be one with  ether than average EMI characteristics.

It's looking like SDR-C needs at least at lower end gaming machine!

de Steve N6VL

Simon Brown

Also,

We’ll soon see GPUs from Intel. Use of CUDA for FFT isn’t too important, good DirectX really makes the performance of Console smooth on one or more 4k monitors. Anyway, the GTX 645 is quite respectable when it comes to DirectX but any newer card will be better and use less power. And a newer card (if you can get one) can later be used in a new PC.

My gut feeling is that the GPU is not the cause of the problem. Please show this task manager page and make sure the CPU is visible (it may not be shown):

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

[Edited Message Follows]

de Steve N6VL

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Max

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 08:37 PM, n6vl wrote:
Tom says to use SUPER brand only. Is SUPER a brand? Or can any GTX 1650 work?
It's just misleading branding by Nvidia. 1650 and 1650 Super are really two quite different cards. 1650 released first (to a fairly lacklustre response from reviewers) then next generation GPU and faster memory in the 1650 Super was highly praised for value versus excellent performance. They really should not have called it 1650 Super, they should have called it a totally different name as they really are different beasts! From memory the Super has about a 30% upgrade on performance in most situations. The tables are easy enough to find online by Googling if you feel the need. 

I bought mine (Super) for around 160 GBP, so about $200 but since then (a) there's been a massive supply shortage due to pandemic chip supply and so they were simply unavailable and (b) as a result prices have gone through the roof, so while they were fantastic value, now (like everything else) they are silly money.

I guess look out for a good used 1650 Super (or see Simon's post) from a reputable private buyer? I can highly recommend the Super. It transformed the performance of SDRC (and loads of other apps, video editing for example) on my ageing 12 year old i7 Asus mobo PC. Your mileage may vary of course, but most have found it an excellent card. Pity about how the pricing has spoiled things to some degree.

Good luck

Max

jdow

To clarify a little, the "GTX 1650 Super" is a name for a model of nVidia video card sold by many different manufacturers. MSI, ASUS, Gateway, ZOTAC, and Evga are the most commonly encountered versions.

{^_^}

On 20220323 02:22:56, Max wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 08:37 PM, n6vl wrote:
Tom says to use SUPER brand only. Is SUPER a brand? Or can any GTX 1650 work?
It's just misleading branding by Nvidia. 1650 and 1650 Super are really two quite different cards. 1650 released first (to a fairly lacklustre response from reviewers) then next generation GPU and faster memory in the 1650 Super was highly praised for value versus excellent performance. They really should not have called it 1650 Super, they should have called it a totally different name as they really are different beasts! From memory the Super has about a 30% upgrade on performance in most situations. The tables are easy enough to find online by Googling if you feel the need. 

I bought mine (Super) for around 160 GBP, so about $200 but since then (a) there's been a massive supply shortage due to pandemic chip supply and so they were simply unavailable and (b) as a result prices have gone through the roof, so while they were fantastic value, now (like everything else) they are silly money.

I guess look out for a good used 1650 Super (or see Simon's post) from a reputable private buyer? I can highly recommend the Super. It transformed the performance of SDRC (and loads of other apps, video editing for example) on my ageing 12 year old i7 Asus mobo PC. Your mileage may vary of course, but most have found it an excellent card. Pity about how the pricing has spoiled things to some degree.

Good luck

Max

n6vl

Simon Brown said:

My gut feeling is that the GPU is not the cause of the problem. Please show this task manager page and make sure the CPU is visible (it may not be shown):

Is this a request by Simon for me to take a screenshot of my Task Manager Performance tab and post it here? I'll try to post a screenshot.

Simon also said:

Anyway, the GTX 645 is quite respectable when it comes to DirectX but any newer card will be better and use less power. And a newer card (if you can get one) can later be used in a new PC.
That good to hear. I'm really not in a mood to upgrade my graphics card and not solve my main issue, that is the sluggishness of my two logging apps while running SDR-C. However, if a new card will speed up refreshing on the spectrum display, I'm very interested! I just don't want to spend top dollar with no perceivable results.

Simon Brown

Yes,

Please show me this panel of the Task Manager if you would like further help, otherwise I’m flying blind.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 23 March 2022 16:50

Simon Brown said:

Is this a request by Simon for me to take a screenshot of my Task Manager Performance tab and post it here? I'll try to post a screenshot.

Simon also said:

Anyway, the GTX 645 is quite respectable when it comes to DirectX but any newer card will be better and use less power. And a newer card (if you can get one) can later be used in a new PC.

That good to hear. I'm really not in a mood to upgrade my graphics card and not solve my main issue, that is the sluggishness of my two logging apps while running SDR-C. However, if a new card will speed up refreshing on the spectrum display, I'm very interested! I just don't want to spend top dollar with no perceivable results.

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

n6vl

Simon, here's my screenshot: