Noise level variation AirSpy HF+

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez <iberiaDX@...>

Hi,
Happy New Year to all!
My main receiver is a modified AirSpy HF+ (LW enhancement) and I've noticed something that puzzles me.

When I launch Console V3 and then I open my HF+ without switching on the Miniwhip amplifier, I get signals (just stronger ones) with a very low bed noise level. Then I switch the amplifier on and the rest of the signals on the MW band appears with a reasonable low noise level as I live in a quiet rural area.

But when I first switch the MiniWhip amplifier on and then I launch the software and then open the HF+ receiver, the signals are there, but the bed noise level is higher by, saying... 15 dB, so the S/N is worst than before.

Why is this happening? Supposedly the noise must be the same in the system, but it is not!

Any explanation?

¡Gracias!

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

How about two screen shots, posted as attachments of the two conditions. Maybe there's a pre-amp or visual gain setting changing? Be sure the DSP window is displayed when the screen shot is taken.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez <iberiaDX@...>

Hi Kriss and the rest of the group,
I am attaching two screenshots.
The first image (one screen) named "Cascada0" is the initial one when I open Console without the Miniwhip amplifier on, so the signals showed are just the stronger ones and the spikes (internal noises, or USB noises, or interferences).
The second image "Cascada1_2" includes two shots:
Nr. 1. Screenshot after connecting the MiniWhip amplifier when the Console software was previously opened (after have taken former 'one-screen' image).
Nr. 2. Screenshot when Console is opened WITH the Mini-whip amplifier connected.

Differences are noticeable and conditions are in both cases the same without changin any of the Console options.

No explanation for that!!
--
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA1036 SWL
QTH 43°15'N - 03°56'W / IN83ag • Cantabria (España-Spain)

jdow

Um, full size. We can't read anything off these to check the settings.

{^_^}

On 20220117 00:38:30, Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez via groups.io wrote:

[...]

When sent as an attachment (use the paperclip above text box) the image will not get reduced to unreadable. Maybe email clients can read it? But
I and others read it via the web GUI.
Here's an example that all the finer details can be read.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

One final note, hit the square box in upper right to make it full screen. I didn't on the above image sent and the bottom ribbon bar is missing, most of which Simon needs to see when users are having issues.

73 Kriss KA1GJU