A new way to shut off a PC

michel soldevila

Hi Simon,
I discovered an original and unconventionnal way to shut off my PC: launch SDR Console. 50% effective, and really boring ! My PC is running Windows 10 version 21H2, build 19044.1415.
73 from F1GOC

Simon Brown

Hi,

PC probably getting too hot – check for dust build up inside. I regularly blow all dust out of filters and fans.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of michel soldevila
Sent: 17 December 2021 13:21
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] A new way to shut off a PC

Hi Simon,
I discovered an original and unconventionnal way to shut off my PC: launch SDR Console. 50% effective, and really boring ! My PC is running Windows 10 version 21H2, build 19044.1415.
73 from F1GOC

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

michel soldevila

Hi Simon.
I recently changed the fan in my PC and cleaned everything. The PC internal temperature is monitored : 25°C right now.
I noticed this problem when my PC was running W7 Pro, altough less frequent. It seems to be more frequent since I installed W10 Pro from scratch. Really annoying ...
Michel, F1GOC

BobS

You can try the HeavyLoad program to stress the various components. It might help in pinpointing if you do indeed have a thermal issue or such.

https://www.jam-software.com/heavyload

Bob, W4RLS

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Michel,

There really must be something wrong with your PC. If this was a software problem related to W10 and SDRC, there would have been thousands of complaints like yours already. This isn’t the case at all. I think you need to check all the latest updates have been installed correctly. Motherboard chipset, audio, graphics, network etc. then any peripherals like printers. Then any updates for your receivers. Its easy to miss something obvious. Then maybe you should check other software isn’t draining resources. I’ve been running W10 on two computer builds with an RSPdx radio and the computer runs 24/7 without problems

Bon chance!

Tom G6PZZ

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of michel soldevila
Sent: 17 December 2021 14:13
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] A new way to shut off a PC

Hi Simon.
I recently changed the fan in my PC and cleaned everything. The PC internal temperature is monitored : 25°C right now.
I noticed this problem when my PC was running W7 Pro, altough less frequent. It seems to be more frequent since I installed W10 Pro from scratch. Really annoying ...
Michel, F1GOC

Michel,
Try talking nicely to it. Ask it how its feeling today. Give it a few compliments like, “My gosh you’re a fast one!” Or “I wish I was one tenth as smart as you are.” Or perhaps (appropriately), “How are you so good at remembering all that stuff?”

If none of the above works then do as I do and use something a bit more persuasive: a 10kg sledgehammer ought to do it. 🙂

(Couldn’t resist). 

Robert VE7ZN 

Simon Brown

Agreed.

There will be info in the event log with a reason why the PC shut down, I would take the CPU fan off and reapply the heatsink paste.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Crosbie G6PZZ
Sent: 17 December 2021 15:23

Michel,

There really must be something wrong with your PC. If this was a software problem related to W10 and SDRC, there would have been thousands of complaints like yours already. This isn’t the case at all. I think you need to check all the latest updates have been installed correctly. Motherboard chipset, audio, graphics, network etc. then any peripherals like printers. Then any updates for your receivers. Its easy to miss something obvious. Then maybe you should check other software isn’t draining resources. I’ve been running W10 on two computer builds with an RSPdx radio and the computer runs 24/7 without problems

Bon chance!

Tom G6PZZ

Sent: 17 December 2021 14:13

Hi Simon.
Michel, F1GOC

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

michel soldevila

Before opening the box.
Last kernel Power off event journal : what can we conclude ? It's a little too complicated for me ...

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 8

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

+ TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-12-17T16:32:24.3301414Z

EventRecordID 2203

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4
      [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer PC-F1GOC

- Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 0
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
    CheckpointStatus 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
    LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Simon Brown

I think that’s the wrong entry. You must look at the event logs for unexpected entries. Could also be the PSU.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 17 December 2021 16:52

Before opening the box.
Last kernel Power off event journal : what can we conclude ? It's a little too complicated for me ...

--
- + - + -

michel soldevila

How/where can I find those "unexpected entries" in the event log ?
Michel

jdow

It's very helpfully, in a Microsoft sense, telling you the computer was shut down an we don't know why. That means you need to look for dump logs and the like for diagnosis.

{o.o}

On 20211217 09:25:54, Simon Brown wrote:

I think that’s the wrong entry. You must look at the event logs for unexpected entries. Could also be the PSU.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 17 December 2021 16:52

Before opening the box.

--
- + - + -

jdow

Is there an entry before that entry you showed us?

You say it simply shuts off the computer. I presume by that you mean it is not generating dump files. Diagnosis may be protracted. It MAY be a memory chip giving bad data. It might be CPU overheating. (Enter bios on reboot and check the hardware monitor for temperatures. Make sure all fans run at expected speeds when the computer powers up, especially the CPU fan(s).)

{^_^}

On 20211217 09:47:32, michel soldevila wrote:
Michel

Dominic Dambro

I'm not clear on why people are assuming it's a heat or fan-related issue when Michael states it only happens when SDR Console is executed. Must be driver (or other software) related. Running BlueScreenView will turn your crash logs into understandable English. 

jdow

SDRC is a larger load on the CPU than most other activities.

1 - run a good memory test on the system.
2 - give us some CPU temperature reports.
3 - run some game related benchmarks to stress both CPU and GPU.

It is very unlikely it is SDRC. It may be something related to the Windows install. It may be an AV tool silently removing a required piece of software.

{^_^}

On 20211218 07:00:32, Dominic Dambro wrote:
I'm not clear on why people are assuming it's a heat or fan-related issue when Michael states it only happens when SDR Console is executed. Must be driver (or other software) related. Running BlueScreenView will turn your crash logs into understandable English. 

michel soldevila

Edited

I noticed that the hard disks of my PC, mounted in RAID1 (2x3TB) were being resynchronized. I will wait until the end of the operation to resume the tests.
Speccy reports that all 4 CPU's temperatures range from 41 to 44 °C.
Michel

Allan Isaacs

My PC crashed a few days ago with a blue screen but nothing of note recorded in the Windows fault logs.

Looking inside the case with a torch I saw the processor heatsink had a complete layer of dust under the fan completely blocking the heatsink vanes. The processor temp registered 125C.

I brushed away the dust and the PC worked normally with temp reading less than 30C.

I also noticed a red LED lit on the motherboard which went out once the heatsink was clear.

Another possibility is your graphics card fan running slow if it has one, although if processor loading triggers the blue screen this is less likely unless the area around the graphics card is very warm.

If you fail to discover the problem, and your motherboard has built-in graphics, remove the graphics card and use motherboard graphics and see if its fixed.

The problem could be caused by excessive noise either on the motherboard or graphics card due to failing decoupling capacitors. This used to be very common but nowadays not so common because better capacitors are fitted. This also applies to the PC power supply if its very old.

Alklan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of michel soldevila
Sent: 17 December 2021 17:48

Michel

Allan Isaacs

This will always happen if the PC shuts off unexpectedly especially if you have software RAID.

3T will take ages to resync.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of michel soldevila
Sent: 18 December 2021 15:36

[Edited Message Follows]

I noticed that the hard disks of my PC, mounted in RAID1 (2x3TB) were being resynchronized. I will wait until the end of the operation to resume the tests.
Speccy reports that all 4 CPU's temperatures range from 41 to 44 °C.
Michel

_._,_._,_

Zacharias Liangas

MY classical ways of shutting off the PC were two :
-shutdown from the start in bottom left ,on Windows 97 and then
-pressing the tower button t does the same as shutdown
-pressing reset button . this prevents also for ransom messages /programs to be installed in the PC This happened to me 8 years ago
Just a five cents of info

michel soldevila

Edited

Hi,
Doing systematic tests, I noticed that SDR Console does not crash the PC as long as the receiver (SDRPlay RSP-2) is not connected. If it is connected, crash is garanteed in 100% of cases.
However, the receiver works perfectly well with SDR Console when connected to my laptop.
Drivers issue ?
Michel (F1GOC)

jdow

At least bad news for the driver or firmware.
{o.o}

On 20211219 02:05:18, michel soldevila wrote:
Hi,
Doing systematic tests, I noticed that SDR Console does not crash the PC as long as the receiver (SDRPlay RSP-2) is not connected. If it is connected, crash is garanteed in 100% of cases.
Bad news for the receiver ?
Michel (F1GOC)