From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of michel soldevila
Sent: 17 December 2021 13:21
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] A new way to shut off a PC

Hi Simon,
I discovered an original and unconventionnal way to shut off my PC: launch SDR Console. 50% effective, and really boring ! My PC is running Windows 10 version 21H2, build 19044.1415.
73 from F1GOC

michel soldevila

Hi Simon.
I recently changed the fan in my PC and cleaned everything. The PC internal temperature is monitored : 25°C right now.
I noticed this problem when my PC was running W7 Pro, altough less frequent. It seems to be more frequent since I installed W10 Pro from scratch. Really annoying ...
Michel, F1GOC

BobS

You can try the HeavyLoad program to stress the various components. It might help in pinpointing if you do indeed have a thermal issue or such.

https://www.jam-software.com/heavyload

Bob, W4RLS

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Michel,

There really must be something wrong with your PC. If this was a software problem related to W10 and SDRC, there would have been thousands of complaints like yours already. This isn’t the case at all. I think you need to check all the latest updates have been installed correctly. Motherboard chipset, audio, graphics, network etc. then any peripherals like printers. Then any updates for your receivers. Its easy to miss something obvious. Then maybe you should check other software isn’t draining resources. I’ve been running W10 on two computer builds with an RSPdx radio and the computer runs 24/7 without problems

Bon chance!

Tom G6PZZ

I recently changed the fan in my PC and cleaned everything. The PC internal temperature is monitored : 25°C right now.
I noticed this problem when my PC was running W7 Pro, altough less frequent. It seems to be more frequent since I installed W10 Pro from scratch. Really annoying ...
Michel, F1GOC

Michel,
Try talking nicely to it. Ask it how its feeling today. Give it a few compliments like, “My gosh you’re a fast one!” Or “I wish I was one tenth as smart as you are.” Or perhaps (appropriately), “How are you so good at remembering all that stuff?”

If none of the above works then do as I do and use something a bit more persuasive: a 10kg sledgehammer ought to do it. 🙂

(Couldn’t resist).

73,
Robert VE7ZN

Simon Brown

Agreed.

There will be info in the event log with a reason why the PC shut down, I would take the CPU fan off and reapply the heatsink paste.

[...]

Before opening the box.
Last kernel Power off event journal : what can we conclude ? It's a little too complicated for me ...

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

  EventID 41

  Version 8

  Level 1

  Task 63

  Opcode 0

  Keywords 0x8000400000000002

+ TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-12-17T16:32:24.3301414Z

  EventRecordID 2203

  Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4
      [ ThreadID] 8

  Channel System

  Computer PC-F1GOC

- Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 0
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
    CheckpointStatus 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
    LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Simon Brown

I think that’s the wrong entry. You must look at the event logs for unexpected entries. Could also be the PSU.