Waterfall Speed

vincent

thanks Gedas for contributing
Vincent

Gedas

I was waiting to see if someone else was going to mention this but for very weak signal work, like when I am trying to find then make 10 GHz CW contacts I have my waterfall set to a very low speed and enable averaging. This allows me to detect a flea-fart of a signal that might otherwise be missed if a faster rate is used. We will ALWAYS see a signal long before we can hear anything and we use the waterfall to peak the signals up.

Before we make contact it is customary for each station to send dashes over and over and over again which lets me turn my dish in 1 degree increments until I have him peaked up. Then I will dash to him so he may do the same. If we are more than 3-4 degrees off the required bearing no signals will be seen.

In any event just wanted to share with you my philosophy for very weak signal detection and the way I have it set up. Here is a video I made (excuse the poor quality) but it shows a very strong rain-scatter signal on the waterfall. Now imagine that signal x100 times weaker and just the slightest traces visible on the waterfall......those are typical and what I hunt for to make a QSO. I will try to make a video of a weak signal case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiCYoSCKtg

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....
On 9/8/2021 12:45 PM, vincent wrote:

thanks Kriss and Siegi
Vincent

vincent

thanks Kriss and Siegi
Vincent

Siegfried Jackstien

For me even15 is high
I prefer that I can see a bit backwards
Most of the time i use 5 lps only.. Switching to 15 or 20 if someone sends wf text
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 08.09.2021 02:03 schrieb Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU <kliegle@...>:

Faster speeds require more CPU or GPU. Older computers that are on the lower end of the minimum requirements may be usable with slower speeds.
Observe the CPU usage in lower right.
At 40 LPS, my CPU usage is fluctuating around 15% (HP laptop i5 5200u CPU @ 2.2GHz no real GPU )
At 1 LPS it goes down to ~8%
At 100 LPS it up around 19%

I find the faster speeds are hard to watch, so 40 LPS is fine for my eyes without having seizures! lol

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Faster speeds require more CPU or GPU. Older computers that are on the lower end of the minimum requirements may be usable with slower speeds.
Observe the CPU usage in lower right.
At 40 LPS, my CPU usage is fluctuating around 15% (HP laptop i5 5200u CPU @ 2.2GHz no real GPU )
At 1 LPS it goes down to ~8%
At 100 LPS it up around 19%

I find the faster speeds are hard to watch, so 40 LPS is fine for my eyes without having seizures! lol

73 Kriss KA1GJU

vincent

Greetings,
how important is the "waterfall" speed? I see the default is 40. Are there any hard rules regarding this? I have a 50" UHD monitor.

vince48