SDRC and Pluto with external reference

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

Hello All,

my question is about using SDR Console (V3.0.27) and Adalm Pluto (Rev. D) with an external 25MHz reference.

Pluto configuration for external reference was done according to https://tbspace.de/plutosdrclockinput.html section “Alternative reference frequencies”.

The modification went well which was confirmed by software and hardware (Pluto’s buffer of the external reference signal (LTC6957) turned on and internal 40 MHz TCXO turned off; 25 MHz reference signal comes to the XTALN pin of AD9363)

After Pluto is connected to the computer the device is seen as a memory but when trying to “Start radio” it says that the device was not found.

It was tested on two computers and with different external reference frequencies - 25 and 40 MHz.

Maybe something needs to be changed in SDR Console settings with which Pluto worked fine before the modification?

73 de Karen, ra3apw

Siegfried Jackstien

you first have to "search" the radio in definitions before you can try to start it!!

dg9bfc sigi

ps why mess around with 25 megs?? the signal quality is lower when not using 40mhz!!

Am 27.07.2021 um 16:09 schrieb Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io:

Hello All,

my question is about using SDR Console (V3.0.27) and Adalm Pluto (Rev. D) with an external 25MHz reference.

Pluto configuration for external reference was done according to https://tbspace.de/plutosdrclockinput.html section “Alternative reference frequencies”.

The modification went well which was confirmed by software and hardware (Pluto’s buffer of the external reference signal (LTC6957) turned on and internal 40 MHz TCXO turned off; 25 MHz reference signal comes to the XTALN pin of AD9363)

After Pluto is connected to the computer the device is seen as a memory but when trying to “Start radio” it says that the device was not found.

It was tested on two computers and with different external reference frequencies - 25 and 40 MHz.

Maybe something needs to be changed in SDR Console settings with which Pluto worked fine before the modification?

73 de Karen, ra3apw

jdow

1) I presume there was a good reason to switch to 25 MHz. "It's what I have; and, I don't have 40 MHz," is a good reason. I'm just curious.
2) You probably must redefine the radio within SDRC. Erase the old and create the new.
3) Did you change the file "configuration.txt" so that where it has a number close to 40000000 it has a similar number close to 25000000. (If not do so and then redefine the radio within SDRC.)
4) I wonder if this is the first Pluto modified in this particular way that has been tried on an SDRC. All the modified Plutos that come to mind still have 40 MHz clocks.

{^_^}

On 20210727 07:09:05, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:

Hello All,

73 de Karen, ra3apw

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

A short summary:

1) New driver has been installed but no luck to find Pluto after the connection to PC with SDR Console.

2) SDR Console V3.0.28 has been installed - no luck to find Pluto.

3) First Pluto has been removed in SDR Console and search for it again - no luck to find Pluto.

4) I took second Pluto Rev. D (new, never open) and SDR Console sees this new device and works without problem.

Test made on two PC with the same result.

73 de Karen, ra3apw  

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 09:44 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:
ps why mess around with 25 megs?? the signal quality is lower when not using 40mhz!!

In my portable QO-100 station 25 MHz reference signal used for two blocks: 1) for LNB PLL with modification  2) for Pluto.
It's much easy to have one reference frequency for all modules then two frequency values.
This 25 MHz reference source has low Allan deviation and low phase noise - this solution has been checked with many traditional QO-100 ground station sets in digital modes. 
I am not sure that you can fill the difference between 25 and 40 MHz reference frequency for Pluto on QO-100.
73 de Karen, ra3apw

jdow

You can if  you do not tell Pluto about the clock change. Did you change the "Xo-correction" line to show 25000000?

{^_^}

On 20210727 13:22:43, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 09:44 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

In my portable QO-100 station 25 MHz reference signal used for two blocks: 1) for LNB PLL with modification  2) for Pluto.
It's much easy to have one reference frequency for all modules then two frequency values.
This 25 MHz reference source has low Allan deviation and low phase noise - this solution has been checked with many traditional QO-100 ground station sets in digital modes. 
I am not sure that you can fill the difference between 25 and 40 MHz reference frequency for Pluto on QO-100.
73 de Karen, ra3apw

Siegfried Jackstien

insdr console in calibration you have to unselect  (switch ofef) enable update frequency when connwecting to pluto

simon has 40 megs as default in console ... not 25

i never changed reference to 25 (i change the 40 megs xo to a 40 megs tcxo) ---

after change to the new txco i measure the real reference (say its 2 hz low) to 39999998 hz .. and not just add it in config text but direct store it in pluto

in dfu mode you can read out uboot-extra-env.dfu ... read out .. safe to disk, edit (change ref to 39999998hz) and store it back on the pluto (call it a new factory calibration)

for my needs its stable enough that way .. no need for an external reference (not 40 and not 25 megs)

and if i would need a gpsdo (example f pluto mounted outside) i would then still use 40 as reference

KISS (keep it simple stupid)

yes ... pluto with different referece frequency does also work ... but its complicated in my view ... and there are some apps that can be used with the pluto that do not have a setting for 25 megs ... so to keep the pluto "compatible" with all kind of software i think its easier to replace the xo to tcxo .. or use external FOURTY megs ...

dg9bfc sigi

Am 27.07.2021 um 23:49 schrieb jdow:

1) I presume there was a good reason to switch to 25 MHz. "It's what I have; and, I don't have 40 MHz," is a good reason. I'm just curious.
2) You probably must redefine the radio within SDRC. Erase the old and create the new.
3) Did you change the file "configuration.txt" so that where it has a number close to 40000000 it has a similar number close to 25000000. (If not do so and then redefine the radio within SDRC.)
4) I wonder if this is the first Pluto modified in this particular way that has been tried on an SDRC. All the modified Plutos that come to mind still have 40 MHz clocks.

{^_^}

Hello All,

73 de Karen, ra3apw

Siegfried Jackstien

...... sorry for some typos ... pressed send a bit too fast :-)

Am 28.07.2021 um 03:01 schrieb Siegfried Jackstien:

insdr console in calibration you have to unselect  (switch ofef) enable update frequency when connwecting to pluto

after change to the new txco i measure the real reference (say its 2 hz low) to 39999998 hz .. and not just add it in config text but direct store it in pluto

in dfu mode you can read out uboot-extra-env.dfu ... read out .. safe to disk, edit (change ref to 39999998hz) and store it back on the pluto (call it a new factory calibration)

for my needs its stable enough that way .. no need for an external reference (not 40 and not 25 megs)

and if i would need a gpsdo (example f pluto mounted outside) i would then still use 40 as reference

yes ... pluto with different referece frequency does also work ... but its complicated in my view ... and there are some apps that can be used with the pluto that do not have a setting for 25 megs ... so to keep the pluto "compatible" with all kind of software i think its easier to replace the xo to tcxo .. or use external FOURTY megs ...

dg9bfc sigi

Am 27.07.2021 um 23:49 schrieb jdow:

{^_^}

Hello All,

73 de Karen, ra3apw

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

1) The main reason for non-TCXO reference signal is to obtain high-frequency stability. The main source of instability is PLL LNB - therefore the value of the reference frequency is 25 MHz.
2) Done, no positive result.
3) Do you mean the "config.txt" file in Pluto's root directory?
4) I saw several modifications of Pluto with an external support on YouTube but it is not yet clear whether this worked with SDRC.
Karen, ra3apw

jdow

Yes, the Pluto's config.txt file.

{^_^}

On 20210728 00:41:42, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:
1) The main reason for non-TCXO reference signal is to obtain high-frequency stability. The main source of instability is PLL LNB - therefore the value of the reference frequency is 25 MHz.
2) Done, no positive result.
3) Do you mean the "config.txt" file in Pluto's root directory?
4) I saw several modifications of Pluto with an external support on YouTube but it is not yet clear whether this worked with SDRC.
Karen, ra3apw

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 04:02 AM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

dg9bfc sigi

Thank you for the advice. 
Two years ago when I started to make the first QO-100 station one of the main measurements was the comparison of the Allan deviation for TCXO and OCXO.

The results can be viewed here http://www.ra3apw.ru/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/OCXO_AllanDeviation_1.jpg

Therefore it was decided not to use TCXO as a reference frequency source.

At the same time GPSDO did not give significant advantages over a good OCXO but added significant inconveniences in the form of an open sky and an additional antenna. Therefore, I use OCXOs as a reference which has proven good frequency stability even in digital modes via QO-100.

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:57 AM, jdow wrote:
You can if  you do not tell Pluto about the clock change. Did you change the "Xo-correction" line to show 25000000?

{^_^}
Done. No progress.

jdow

OK, are you going through the process to make a definition for the radio since you made the change or ever?

{^_^}

On 20210728 02:26:57, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:57 AM, jdow wrote:

{^_^}
Done. No progress.

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

I tried to pass the radio definition but no success.

Radio Definition -> Search "Pluto SDR " -> got answer "No PlutoSDR" radio were found".

This modified Pluto radio worked well with SDRС before modification.

My second non-modified Pluto radio works well now with the same SDRC.  
Attached files: SDRC log and Definition reply for modified radio. 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM, jdow wrote:

OK, are you going through the process to make a definition for the radio since you made the change or ever? [Хорошо, вы проходите через процесс определения радио с момента внесения изменений или когда-либо?]

{^_^}

Simon Brown

If you modded Pluto to use an external frequency source then the source must be enabled and working, otherwise Pluto no worky.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io
Sent: 28 July 2021 11:11
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SDRC and Pluto with external reference

Radio Definition -> Search "Pluto SDR " -> got answer "No PlutoSDR" radio were found".

OK, are you going through the process to make a definition for the radio since you made the change or ever? [Хорошо, вы проходите через процесс определения радио с момента внесения изменений или когда-либо?]

{^_^}

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

jdow

Do both your Plutos have the same firmware or has one been installed with something different? Simon might be able to read the log better than I can. It MAY have enough information. About here:
12:14:23.365: Radio PlutoSDR> Autodetect
12:14:23.366: Radio PlutoSDR>   Version ....: 0.21 565bf68

It looks like he's getting information back from the Pluto. But something in the information leads the software to ignore the returns. Altered firmware could cause that. It appears that two "contexts" are found and neither one is valid. That might be an issue for the Pluto forums. The contexts contain a suspicious number of zeros. So something is wrong with that Pluto. Have you tried it on SDRAngel or one of the other tools out there for comparison?

{^_^}

On 20210728 03:11:21, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:

{^_^}

SDRC_PlutoMod_notfound.jpg

Simon Brown

I just looked at the logfile – he sees what I see when the ext. ref, is not enabled / connected.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of jdow
Sent: 28 July 2021 12:21

Do both your Plutos have the same firmware or has one been installed with something different? Simon might be able to read the log better than I can. It MAY have enough information. About here:

It looks like he's getting information back from the Pluto. But something in the information leads the software to ignore the returns. Altered firmware could cause that. It appears that two "contexts" are found and neither one is valid. That might be an issue for the Pluto forums. The contexts contain a suspicious number of zeros. So something is wrong with that Pluto. Have you tried it on SDRAngel or one of the other tools out there for comparison?

{^_^}

On 20210728 03:11:21, Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io wrote:

{^_^}

SDRC_PlutoMod_notfound.jpg

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW

Thanks for your reply. 
Pluto software modification has been made according to  https://tbspace.de/plutosdrclockinput.html .
Please find the picture attached.
Hardware modification - only connection of RF cable to U.FL connector "CLK_IN" on Pluto board.
External reference 25 Mhz signal is on XTAL pin of AD9363 with the correct amplitude 0.6V (p-p) as recommended. 
Internal 40 MHz TCXO is disabled. 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

I just looked at the logfile – he sees what I see when the ext. ref, is not enabled / connected.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Simon Brown

Well,

The clock is not working I think.

12:14:23.369: Radio PlutoSDR>   -

12:14:23.370: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context [0]

12:14:23.371: Radio PlutoSDR>     ad9361-phy ..............: 00000000

12:14:23.371: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-lpc ...........: 00000000

12:14:23.372: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-dds-core-lpc ..: 00000000

12:14:23.373: Radio PlutoSDR>     valid ...................: 0

12:14:23.374: Radio PlutoSDR>   -

These values of 0000000 indicate the chip is started but oscillators not running. It’s not happy with the reference signal, exactly what I see when my Leo Bodnar unit is not connected.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Tadevosyan, RA3APW via groups.io
Sent: 28 July 2021 13:24

Thanks for your reply. 
Pluto software modification has been made according to  https://tbspace.de/plutosdrclockinput.html .
Please find the picture attached.
Hardware modification - only connection of RF cable to U.FL connector "CLK_IN" on Pluto board.
External reference 25 Mhz signal is on XTAL pin of AD9363 with the correct amplitude 0.6V (p-p) as recommended. 
Internal 40 MHz TCXO is disabled. 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

Siegfried Jackstien

pluto rev c/d has a fw command to use external reference

and ... REFERENCE MUST BE RUNNING BEFORE PLUTO IS SWITCHED ON!!! (on boot the pluto checks if the clock signal is there and makes the tx calibration)

my "working" pluto rev b shows also zeroes in the logfile ?!?!?!?!?

13:57.394: Select Radio> List .....: 550000,750000,900000,1200000,1500000,2100000,2500000,3000000,4000000# (No TX),4500000# (No TX),5000000# (No TX),5500000# (No TX),6000000# (No TX)
12:13:57.395: Select Radio>
12:14:23.366: Radio PlutoSDR>   Backends ...: 4
12:14:23.367: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 0 ..: xml
12:14:23.367: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 1 ..: ip
12:14:23.367: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 2 ..: usb
12:14:23.368: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 3 ..: serial
12:14:23.368: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:14:23.368: Radio PlutoSDR>   Scanning
12:14:23.369: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context count ..: 2
12:14:23.369: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:14:23.370: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context [0]
12:14:23.371: Radio PlutoSDR>     ad9361-phy ..............: 00000000
12:14:23.371: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-lpc ...........: 00000000
12:14:23.372: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-dds-core-lpc ..: 00000000
12:14:23.373: Radio PlutoSDR>     valid ...................: 0
12:14:23.374: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:14:23.375: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context [1]
12:14:23.376: Radio PlutoSDR>     ad9361-phy ..............: 00000000
12:14:23.376: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-lpc ...........: 00000000
12:14:23.377: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-dds-core-lpc ..: 00000000
12:14:23.377: Radio PlutoSDR>     valid ...................: 0
12:14:23.378: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:14:23.379: Radio PlutoSDR> -
12:15:11.806: Select Radio> Selecting Radio
12:15:22.237: Radio PlutoSDR> Autodetect
12:15:22.238: Radio PlutoSDR>   Version ....: 0.21 565bf68
12:15:22.239: Radio PlutoSDR>   Backends ...: 4
12:15:22.239: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 0 ..: xml
12:15:22.240: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 1 ..: ip
12:15:22.241: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 2 ..: usb
12:15:22.242: Radio PlutoSDR>     Backend 3 ..: serial
12:15:22.242: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:15:22.244: Radio PlutoSDR>   Scanning
12:15:22.246: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context count ..: 2
12:15:22.246: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:15:22.247: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context [0]
12:15:22.247: Radio PlutoSDR>     ad9361-phy ..............: 00000000
12:15:22.248: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-lpc ...........: 00000000
12:15:22.248: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-dds-core-lpc ..: 00000000
12:15:22.249: Radio PlutoSDR>     valid ...................: 0
12:15:22.249: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:15:22.250: Radio PlutoSDR>   Context [1]
12:15:22.251: Radio PlutoSDR>     ad9361-phy ..............: 00000000
12:15:22.251: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-lpc ...........: 00000000
12:15:22.252: Radio PlutoSDR>     cf-ad9361-dds-core-lpc ..: 00000000
12:15:22.252: Radio PlutoSDR>     valid ...................: 0
12:15:22.253: Radio PlutoSDR>   -
12:15:22.253: Radio PlutoSDR> -

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: copy end:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

a side note ... local time when log was done is 15.15 ... its 13.15 utc ... but logfile shows 12.15 ?!? so i guess the clock setting is wrong?!?

there is one hour missing  ... console also shows 13.15 in waterfall!! so where is the 1 hour difference come from??

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 28.07.2021 um 12:23 schrieb Simon Brown:

If you modded Pluto to use an external frequency source then the source must be enabled and working, otherwise Pluto no worky.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 28 July 2021 11:11

{^_^}

--
- + - + -