Recordings Stuttering

James Niven <jniven@...>

Hi Group,

I am trying to work out why my recordings are stuttering on playback when accessing them from an external hard drive.

There seems to be no issue from what I can see when playing them back when I record to c: drive.

So, it appears to be an external drive issue maybe or a setting. I have SDR console version 3.0.28, I am recording the FM band at 6.144mhz bandwidth with my elad s2.

Any tips on what I should look for? I have had this before, but I was never able to fix the issue.

Thanks

James Niven

Austin, Texas

jdow

Drive not fast enough is a real possibility for an external drive, especially if it is USB2. Even if it is on the same USB3 bus as the elad S2 there still can be problems if either device is USB2 because the bus slows down to operate with USB2 transfers. If you can record OK to the internal drive then it almost certainly is the external drive causing problems for one reason or another.

{o.o}

On 20210703 14:17:47, James Niven wrote:

Hi Group,

I am trying to work out why my recordings are stuttering on playback when accessing them from an external hard drive.

There seems to be no issue from what I can see when playing them back when I record to c: drive.

So, it appears to be an external drive issue maybe or a setting. I have SDR console version 3.0.28, I am recording the FM band at 6.144mhz bandwidth with my elad s2.

Any tips on what I should look for? I have had this before, but I was never able to fix the issue.

Thanks

James Niven

Austin, Texas

Max

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 10:17 PM, James Niven wrote:

I am trying to work out why my recordings are stuttering on playback when accessing them from an external hard drive.

There seems to be no issue from what I can see when playing them back when I record to c: drive.

Hi James. I guess one would need to know what is exact external drive make/model and how is it connected to the PC? Many PCs still have a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. It's very easy to plug a USB 3.0 drive into a USB 2.0 port. I don't know if it's a universal standard, but often the USB 2.0 ports are black inside (well, the plastic "tongue" inside the socket anyway) and the USB 3.0 ports are marked blue. Needless to say USB 3.0 drive in USB 2.0 port is choked right from the start.

There is generally nothing inherently slow about external drives, and I have USB 3.0 drives that can transfer files at 100 Mb/s (single file performance, not multiple). As Joanne says, it's just hardware bottlenecks that are the problem, i.e. drive physical write/read speed, and connection speed.

Joanne wrote an excellent post about USB ports a few months back, but not sure where it is now....... Joanne? But essentially, to repeat what she already says, don't mix USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices on the same bus at the same time. The USB 2.0 will drag down the whole transfer rate.

Max

James Niven <jniven@...>

Thanks for the quick reply jdow, it appears I have usb2 ports, so after reading what Max and yourself mention, this may well be my issue.

So, I guess for now, I have to save to my c drive.

Thanks again!!

[...]

Thanks Max, I hope Joanne can point me to her excellent post, would love to read this and learn more.

[...]

Nick Hall-Patch

Is this the age-old "write-caching" problem, James?  It snags me every year or two.

Bring up Properties for your drive in (right-click on it in Explorer), Hardware tab, highlight the drive, Properites again,  "Change Settings", Policies.

In Removal Policy, choose "Better Performance", and enable Write Caching.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, hi.  (just because it's never obvious to me..)

best wishes,

Nick

At 21:17 2021-07-03, James Niven wrote:

Hi Group,

I am trying to work out why my recordings are stuttering on playback when accessing them from an external hard drive.

There seems to be no issue from what I can see when playing them back when I record to c: drive.

So, it appears to be an external drive issue maybe or a setting. I have SDR console version 3.0.28, I am recording the FM band at 6.144mhz bandwidth with my elad s2.

Any tips on what I should look for? I have had this before, but I was never able to fix the issue.

Thanks

James Niven

Austin, Texas

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

James Niven <jniven@...>

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this information, I actually forgot how to get to the “write-caching” properties to make sure nothing had changed, thanks for that.

I did set this way back when I brought the external hard drive, I just checked the settings and yep, still good.

It’s funny, I use the same external hard drive on my overnight recordings from Jaguar Pro and have no issues with the recordings.

It only seems to be with SDR Console when recording FM frequencies and store for later playing that I find the stuttering.

It seems to be what Max and Joanne suggest, the usb 2 port, should be usb 3 for better transmission of data.

Thanks

[...]

On USB2 I have found that it is rare to be able to write faster than 10 MB/S. On top of that you are trying to read another 20 or more MB/S reading from your source. It isn't going to work. It will be close; but, it will not win the cigar.

{^_^}

On 20210703 16:06:52, James Niven wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately I do not have a pointer to it. The short version with regards to USB 3 with attached USB 2 devices (or USB 2 with attached USB 1 or 1.1 devices) involves time rather than data rate issues.

Every time a lower rated USB device tries to transfer data on a higher rated hub (port) the whole bus slows down to the lower rate for the duration of the transfer. This consumes time on the bus. So a 1.1 device may consume maybe 40 times as much of the nominal bandwidth on the port. Furthermore for perceived response on your screen mice send very small messages with fairly large overhead with a payload value of 1 mouse step. It's a bit difficult to get a mouse to actually send a payload of say 42 mouse steps. So what might be a (swag alert) 3 byte transfer turns into a (swag) 15 or 20 byte handshake plus transfer all at 10 MB/S or so. That's 50 to 90 megabytes/second carved away from the nominal 400 megabytes/second on the bus. So slow devices eat your hub's capability FAST. That is why AirSpys have trouble at 10 Msps on a USB2 bus that should "easily" handle the bit packed transfer rate of an AirSpy. The full USB2 bus is seldom really there. And if  you hook up to a USB 3 hub you are still stuck with the AirSpy eating 3/4 of the bus bandwidth give or take a little. Anything else on that bus, say an external drive or an internal DVD drive can cause extreme stuttering or outright failure.

(All numbers are Scientific Wild Assed Guesses rather than correct to more than 1 decimal place. The concept is what is of concern in the numbers above. If my memory serves the numbers are "close" if not exact.)

{^_^}

On 20210703 16:08:57, James Niven wrote:

[...]

Ah, nope - if you have all USB2 devices on the bus a USB3 port is not a solution except MAYBE in very marginal cases. If the ELAD is USB 3 (blue tongues) then it may make a major difference. (White tongues are USB 2. Wikipedia has at least one article that delineates what the tongue colors mean.)

If the ELAD itself works on USB2 with all the usual "stuff" on USB 2 then a laptop with some USB3 and some USB2 sockets should work a treat.

{^_^}

On 20210703 18:45:53, James Niven wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much jdow, for your very detailed information.

Just a thought, are there adaptors that can plug into a say a usb2 port and convert it to a usb3 port or will there be no difference??

Thanks again

[...]

Thanks, but the answer is no according to this article, its based on the port on the laptop/computer to start with.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-know-if-my-computer-has-usb-3-0-ports/

[...]

So, with a little googling, it seems I can add a usb card to my desktop computer with usb3.0 ports, this may be a solution.

[...]

You cannot get more speed out of USB 2. In principle if you accept increased latency it is possible to put together a very small CPU and have it buffer USB2 messages and send them out as USB3. I do not know of any such devices. But, then, I have not searched for one. Nor do I quite know how or how well such a device might perform.

{^_^}

On 20210704 03:11:38, James Niven wrote:

[...]

Depending on what you want to do the "expensive" route is a card with more than one controller on it. By controller I mean a device that speaks to the computer busses directly say via a PCIe socket. I do not mean a controller followed by a hub to split it into for USB 3 sockets. The four controller card I have (closer to $300 than $100) has four controllers so I could in theory have four USB 3.1 transfers going on simultaneously at very near the peak speed capability of the four USB 3.1 busses added together. The limit would be the PCIe bus I believe. With that running a pair of AirSpy R2 devices at full 10 MHz is easy. If OTHER aspects of the computer could support it a pair of R888s at full 64 (or so) MHz wide sets of samples could be processed at the same time. (That might be sufficient to get my computer to roll over and die, though. If not I have disks I could put on the other two USB ports to capture the data. I don't think that would work, especially after the speculative execution slowdowns in the current INTEL kernel downgrades due to security vulnerabilities.)

{^_^}

On 20210704 03:28:39, James Niven wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jdow, I appreciate your insight and knowledge.

So, I feel kind of goofy now. I was curious as to the actual usb ports on desktop computer. On the front there are 2 usb2 black tongue ports, but on the rear of the computer, wait for it…..4 usb3 ports with the blue tongue and 2 usb2 ports with the black tongue.

I did not realize I had these on the rear, it would have saved me a lot of headaches. So, I need to purchase a usb3 hub to allow easy access to plug in my external hard drive with saved sdr console files for playback rather than moving the desktop every time to plugging in my external hard drive. I plugged my external HD into the usb3 port and played my files on sdr console, no problems, no stutter what so ever.

Thanks

[...]

Simon Brown

‘Powered Hub’

Thanks, Jdow, I appreciate your insight and knowledge.

So, I feel kind of goofy now. I was curious as to the actual usb ports on desktop computer. On the front there are 2 usb2 black tongue ports, but on the rear of the computer, wait for it…..4 usb3 ports with the blue tongue and 2 usb2 ports with the black tongue.

I did not realize I had these on the rear, it would have saved me a lot of headaches. So, I need to purchase a usb3 hub to allow easy access to plug in my external hard drive with saved sdr console files for playback rather than moving the desktop every time to plugging in my external hard drive. I plugged my external HD into the usb3 port and played my files on sdr console, no problems, no stutter what so ever.

Thanks

James Niven <jniven@...>

Thanks, Simon, for the tip, I was thinking along the same lines, less power draw from the computer

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 01:27 PM, James Niven wrote:
Thanks, Simon, for the tip, I was thinking along the same lines, less power draw from the computer
Hi James

Powered hub is more about providing adequate power to the device plugged into it. For example, many SDRs are power hungry in this respect and if they obtain their power from the USB port (many do) they will often fall over if a passive hub is used.

Max

jdow

It's not an easy subject to wrap your mind around. I'm sure I am not the be all and end all of knowledge here. But, this is a bullet I bit with my first USB toy, a USB 1.1 something that my then USB 1.0 keyboard slowed down. (As you get older you get more and more "it didn't work" or the occasional "it did work" that stick in the mind.)

{^_-}